Pleased to meet me, per the 'Mats

DeleteThisAccount

Hello John,

I've always been interested in a sports journalist's opinion of this: should sports reporting be taken as "seriously" as things like political or financial reporting? Not trying to belittle you or what you do, or say you don't or shouldn't take it seriously. Its very important to me as a sports fan, and I really respect the real reporters like yourself and Paul Hamilton (among many others) who do the real journalistic style reporting on this stuff instead of just tweeting contracts or stupid sports takes (which I also eat up, because I am sports fan and its just what I do).

I guess the easiest way to explain what I mean is to tell you what got me thinking about it. A couple years ago, certain Buffalo media members got mad about Terry Pegula not speaking to reporters more often (or really, at all). I don't remember where you came down on that if you commented at all, but it struck me as sort of odd; he's the owner of a sports team, not the president, or a local politicion, or the CEO of a company (ok well, kinda, but you know what I mean). Does he really OWE it to us to come out and answer questions about Ville Leino? In that case especially it seemed like it was the media that was mad, not that the people were crying out for answers and were being ignored. I realize, too, that there are columns to fill, and radio silence from an owner during a rough time for the team can make it tough to write articles. There have been other times over the last few years that make me roll my eyes and think "Come on [insert name here], its sports, you don't have to get that grim over the whole thing". It can be frustrating.

I'm rambling now, but if you get a chance (and like half an hour to read all that), I'd love to hear your opinion my initial question there. Thanks.

Well aren't you Mr Sunshine?

He'd rather complain about 12 than be active as #13.

Sorry to be so down but it's the truth. SS is pretty stagnant. New thread are a rarity. There are only a dozen really active participants, and they tend to dominate to discussion, and sometimes intimidate other posters. TBD, by comparison, is very active and the discussion covers the gamut. Here the discussion is mostly conspiracy theories about the alleged shadow management of the Sabres.

Edited by Promonov Robotnik

Sorry to be so down but it's the truth. SS is pretty stagnant. New thread are a rarity. There are only a dozen really active participants, and they tend to dominate to discussion, and sometimes intimidate other posters. TBD, by comparison, is very active and the discussion covers the gamut. Here the discussion is mostly conspiracy theories about the alleged shadow management of the Sabres.

Well, that's an awfully romanticized view of TBD.

You can have that cesspool that is TBD. That place is like trying to read a book at a Ted Nugent concert. I'll take our quiet little cafe.

Well, that's an awfully romanticized view of TBD.

Man, is it ever.

You can have that cesspool that is TBD. That place is like trying to read a book at a Ted Nugent concert. I'll take our quiet little cafe.

:lol:

And to the originally laid charge, how many "active" members are there here? Not sure how I am defining that. It's obviously more than a dozen. Is it fewer than 100?

Things are relatively quiet here at the moment, but they will heat up as we approach the draft.

That "dozen posters" thing is an annoying fallacy I've seen pop up recently:

From the top-40 Sabrespace post count list:

* D4rk, Eleven, PA, Schrader, Inkman, Liger, Swamp, X, Blue, Hoss, Freeman, Weave, Drane, Labbatt, Taro, Sizzle, Whiskey, Aud, JJ, NS, Dudacek, Qwk and Mattpie post almost daily

* Chz, WJAG, DeLuca, Carp, Bulge, Bunomatic, Moulson26, Robviously, Bio, Claude, Kristian, Dennis, Physics may not post as much at the moment, but they all still have a regular voice and an identity

* Apuszczalowki, Bmwolf21 and Nobody have been quiet lately and 26CB has left us.

Move on to the next page and you see names like SDS, Webster, Bobsauve28, Neuvirth, Derrico, Wildcard, Brawndo, k-9 and many others who are regularly adding good stuff to the conversation.

Three pages into our 154-page membership list and I've already come up with 30 names who are posting regularly, as in most days.

There are many others — lots of good people adding lots of good stuff.

Edited by dudacek

I've been an active participant on a solid dozen of forums, and these two things are one of my favorite parts of this place. I think its more like 2 dozen or so, but I like the trim feel of the place, I like the combined threads that don't spiral into six discussions of the same thing, I like that its heavily moderated.

I'll agree that it can be intimidating as a new user. If I hadn't known d4rk and josie IRL I probably wouldn't have stuck it out here. Learning the way people interact on here can be tough, its different than other places. And because its a smaller community it takes a while to get references and know who the hell people are talking about (I still don't know usually, I've just accepted it). But I like that it IS a community, instead of just a bunch of strangers yelling at the void like most interneting I do.

I've been an active participant on a solid dozen of forums, and these two things are one of my favorite parts of this place. I think its more like 2 dozen or so, but I like the trim feel of the place, I like the combined threads that don't spiral into six discussions of the same thing, I like that its heavily moderated.

I'll agree that it can be intimidating as a new user. If I hadn't known d4rk and josie IRL I probably wouldn't have stuck it out here. Learning the way people interact on here can be tough, its different than other places. And because its a smaller community it takes a while to get references and know who the hell people are talking about (I still don't know usually, I've just accepted it). But I like that it IS a community, instead of just a bunch of ###### strangers yelling at the void like most interneting I do.

This is a great post, especially the bold.

This is a great post, especially the bold.

Cheers  :beer:

Am I daft? (don't answer that) What does "per the 'Mats" mean?

J-dubs is a big fan of The Replacements. The 'Mats is a nickname for the band. "Pleased to Meet Me" is an album by the 'Mats. I only know this from following Mr. Wawrow on the twittersphere.

Edited by sabills

Cheers  :beer:

J-dubs is a big fan of The Replacements. The 'Mats is a nickname for the band. "Pleased to Meet Me" is an album by the 'Mats. I only know this from following Mr. Wawrow on the twittersphere.

Gottit. Thanks.

Um, follow up question. Why is The 'Mats a nickname for The Replacements.

What horseshit...... I didnt even break the top 40 and I been here since 05-06...... now I know how vanek felt

You gotta get into a debate with someone and rage quit. Also you need to get hammered and hit on your sabrespace member of choice that will really help your post count.  

BTW post counts don't really matter. 

Edited by LGR4GM

You gotta get into a debate with someone and rage quit. Also you need to get hammered and hit on your sabrespace member of choice that will really help your post count.  

BTW post counts don't really matter. 

Unfortunately for him most of our resident ladies are spoken for or far too classy to be swayed by a drunk Irish guy.

Edited by Touched by Boyes

He's thinks we are the reason that a hockey board is stagnant in June. 

He also seems to consistently equate select posts from a few "Team Storm Cloud" posters with the entire board, and to have completely ignored everything else these posters and others bring to the table. Times change. I mean, has he read DeLuca lately?

He also seems to consistently equate select posts from a few "Team Storm Cloud" posters with the entire board, and to have completely ignored everything else these posters and others bring to the table. Times change. I mean, has he read DeLuca lately?

Maybe he has an extensive block list.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.