OT - Fitting Movie for Memorial Day Weekend

GoPre

What movie(s) do you plan to watch this Memorial Day weekend? I always gotta go w/ Saving Private Ryan, We Were Soldiers and Taking Chance. Adding Fury to the list this year, and I haven't seen American Sniper yet. Going to give it a try. 

Edited by GoPre

Mad Max is quite delightful.  It is a true action movie.  It starts fast and ends fast. It is quite literally fast and furious.  Oh and some group of guys said it was super feminist or some BS (idk) and say no one should see it... so naturally we should all see it.  

I'm seeing Avengers 2 and Mad Max in theaters.  I'm also planning on watching Saving Private Ryan (for the first time).

I'm also gonna sneak in the back half of Better Call Saul if I can this weekend.  What a fantastic show.

How is this even possible?  :blink:

Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and Lone Survivor are all great Memorial Day tribute watches.

The Great American Soldier has given so much for our freedom.  This weekend, please pause to remember those that lost their lives doing so.

Jeffrey C. Kuhn

Chief Warrant Officer

US Coast Guard Retired

Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and Lone Survivor are all great Memorial Day tribute watches.

The Great American Soldier has given so much for our freedom.  This weekend, please pause to remember those that lost their lives doing so.

Jeffrey C. Kuhn

Chief Warrant Officer

US Coast Guard Retired

Thank you for your service.  Much appreciated.

However, I thought "Lone Survivor," although an incredible story, was a crappy movie.

"Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific" were both terrific.

Bridge on the River Kwai

Great movie. I've actually been to the bridge (although the current one looks nothing like the movie). It's a really cool part of the world, the hills/mountains are very steep and rugged and the people are super-nice.

I hadn't really though about movies to watch the last few years. It used to be a tradition that I'd pop on AMC or TCM and leave it on almost all weekend. Now without cable it's a little harder, but between Amazon Prime and Netflix (and some DVDs/CDs) I should be able to put in a good effort.

Kelly's Heroes.

Band of Brothers or The Pacific

Top Gun (I feel the need... the need for speed... and sweaty muscled up flyboys)

Full Metal Jacket

Patton

Das Boot (nothing wrong with seeing the war from a different perspective- see the humanity, and that's what Memorial Day is about for me)

Where Eagles Dare

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Black Hawk Down

and any number of documentaries- I'm a memoirs junkie, too. 

Kelly's Heroes.

Top Gun (I feel the need... the need for speed... and sweaty muscled up flyboys)

Full Metal Jacket

Patton

Das Boot (nothing wrong with seeing the war from a different perspective- see the humanity, and that's what Memorial Day is about for me)

Where Eagles Dare

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Black Hawk Down

This Kelly's Heroes? ha ha 

025U3UTbLXaWd_2329.jpg

In all seriousness, I've heard Kelly's Heroes is a great movie. Haven't seen it though. Adding another one to watch for the first time. 

I've got a ton of good and decent war movies in my collection to choose from:

Full Metal Jacket

Apocalypse Now

Platoon

Black Hawk Down

Glory

Wind Talkers

Braveheart

Saving Private Ryan

We Were Soldiers

The Patriot

Inglorious Bastards

I know I have others too but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Edited by Drunkard

Kelly's Heroes.

Full Metal Jacket

Patton

Where Eagles Dare

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Black Hawk Down

Das Boot is a good one; we watched it in high school German class.

What movie(s) do you plan to watch this Memorial Day weekend? I always gotta go w/ Saving Private Ryan, We Were Soldiers and Taking Chance. Adding Fury to the list this year, and I haven't seen American Sniper yet. Going to give it a try.

We Were Soldiers is my favorite war movie of all time, even ahead of some of the other classics.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.