All about the Babwatch -- Sabres out

matter2003

I mentioned it in the other thread, but Adam Benigni has confirmed the reports from Wawrow that talks are ongoing with Babcock.

Multiple sources reporting talks going on right now doesn't suggest Babcock is returning to Detroit, do they?

It's probably a case of both Babcock and Murray knowing what they want and making sure they craft the language such that each knows exactly what their rolls are and where the overlap is. It's a very smart move to iron all that out before signing to set up a sound framework for future cooperation between GMTM and HCMB.

no

no no

no no no

no no no no

no no no no no

no no no no no no

It's probably a case of both Babcock and Murray knowing what they want and making sure they craft the language such that each knows exactly what their rolls are and where the overlap is. It's a very smart move to iron all that out before signing to set up a sound framework for future cooperation between GMTM and HCMB.

If they are actually close to making this a done deal, these details and a whole lot more will be ironed out in great detail.

That's what contracts are for.  

I'm having a very difficult time believing this narrative, is all.  It doesn't make a lick of sense that roster flexibility would be an issue between Murray and Babcock.

Nolan had zero say on the roster. Babcock wants more than zero, and he has earned it. (More than zero does not mean equal footing with the GM)

Nolan had zero say on the roster. Babcock wants more than zero, and he has earned it. (More than zero does not mean equal footing with the GM)

Okay, but that's obvious, right?  I understand that lines of demarcation need to be drawn, however, again, there has been a specific narrative suggesting Babcock will seem to want more "power" than is reasonable and Murray won't want share a reasonable amount of "power".  So, the question is, at what point did either men come off as unreasonable hockey people, more interested in their status and power rather than putting together a winning team?  I say neither have ever come off this way and to jump on the narrative as if it makes sense is ridiculous.

Of course they're going to discuss organizational structure before coming to an agreement, but how anyone can believe either side would be unreasonable about what it will take to build a winning team is beyond me.  You don't go after the likes of Babcock without realizing, first, that he's going to need to have some room to do what he wants and needs to do. 

no

no no

no no no

no no no no

no no no no no

no no no no no no

Chill. Just chill.

If they are actually close to making this a done deal, these details and a whole lot more will be ironed out in great detail.

That's what contracts are for.

Exactly.

Hamilton's on WGR now.

Listened to it, and I really liked Hamilton's take with respect to what kind of personnel influence Babcock may be after. For those who couldn't listen, Hamilton basically said Babcock wants to be part of the conversation regarding roster changes, not that he's looking to be quasi-GM.

Listened to it, and I really liked Hamilton's take with respect to what kind of personnel influence Babcock may be after. For those who couldn't listen, Hamilton basically said Babcock wants to be part of the conversation regarding roster changes, not that he's looking to be quasi-GM.

Right, which is what anyone reasonable should expect.  I'd liked how he compared this situation with Nolan's.  Murray wasn't going to trust or care what Nolan had to say...but he will with Babcock.

Right, which is what anyone reasonable should expect.  I'd liked how he compared this situation with Nolan's.  Murray wasn't going to trust or care what Nolan had to say...but he will with Babcock.

Exactly. He'll discuss players more with Babcock and he'll also be more interested in getting the type of players Babcock wants to play his game. I don't think it was already any different from Murray's philosophy in building a team.

I am sure he could care less about who Nolan wanted for the future. He knew he was a goner.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.