is it possible to do this in a trade for McDavid

sabresareback

Trade a couple of players and 100 million dollars

for the first pick in the draft. I know the Edmonton

Oilers are hurting for money. I know there GM

said he would not trade. But the owner has the final say so. So what if the Sabres offered a couple great players and 100 to 200 million for the first pick and we end up with both Eichel and McDavid are there any rules against offering cash and players in a trade for a draft pick.

I know everyone has their own opinion, but I really can't wait until the draft is here and over.  The Sabres are picking 2nd, I just want them to take Eichel and then move forward.

Hearing the talk about them trading Risto, the Eichel pick and Girgensons to move up to one....or hearing about 'what would it take for you to move down' is already a tad bit stressful.  I just want to know that the Sabres are getting McDavid or Eichel (looks like Eichel now) AND to know which up and coming young guys that are here already will be here next season.  There hasn't been much to invest in with this team in the last few years..but Risto and Girgensons have been there, and I don't want to give them up.

Trade a couple of players and 100 million dollars

for the first pick in the draft. I know the Edmonton

Oilers are hurting for money. I know there GM

said he would not trade. But the owner has the final say so. So what if the Sabres offered a couple great players and 100 to 200 million for the first pick and we end up with both Eichel and McDavid are there any rules against offering cash and players in a trade for a draft pick.

You can't trade money anymore.  That was a Gretzky-era thing (which is why the "any player can be traded" argument doesn't really work.)  I believe that it went away with the salary cap (don't quote me on that.)

The closest thing that you can do now is retain some cap/salary in player trades.

Edited by carpandean

ok you said you believe it went away. But

what are the rules for trading for daft picks.

I want to know for sure, because if this could be done then I think Terry Pegula might spend some

serious money to make it happen.

anyone know the official rules for trading for

draft picks.

I just found my own answer right here

no cash can't be used in a trade

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2435327-2015-nhl-draft-lottery-what-would-it-take-to-get-connor-mcdavid-from-oilers

I know everyone has their own opinion, but I really can't wait until the draft is here and over.  The Sabres are picking 2nd, I just want them to take Eichel and then move forward.

Hearing the talk about them trading Risto, the Eichel pick and Girgensons to move up to one....or hearing about 'what would it take for you to move down' is already a tad bit stressful.  I just want to know that the Sabres are getting McDavid or Eichel (looks like Eichel now) AND to know which up and coming young guys that are here already will be here next season.  There hasn't been much to invest in with this team in the last few years..but Risto and Girgensons have been there, and I don't want to give them up.

+1.  I do not want to take three steps back and step forward one.  I like Eich!

Even if you could trade cash does anyone really think Pegula (even with all his money) is going to throw a couple hundred million out the window for him?? Come on. The guy isn't going to pay more for one player that he did for the entire team.

McDavid isn't playing here. He is playing in Edmonton. Hopefully Murray had his final McDavid dream last night and he forgets about him. Time to move on.

why is this even a thread? its not happening. Oilers can not trade the next great Canadian player, he is worth more $$ to the Oilers than anything the Sabres could give hockey wise. 

Plus they are going into a new stadium after this coming season. How many Private boxes and Season Tickets does the name McDavid sell on name alone?

You can dream about a trade to the #1 slot but its pure fantasy. WHy waste the time?

I couldn't agree with you more, the draft lottery ended, and we're getting Eichel.  That's it.  Ristolainen and Girgensons are to valuable to trade to move up one for the better prospect.  In due time we'll be okay with it as a fan base.  It just sucks for the moment.  Let's get back to winning and building.  It'd be like trading Sam Reinhart for a retread or a pick in this draft class that I've seen on other sites. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

Hearing the talk about them trading Risto, the Eichel pick and Girgensons to move up to one....or hearing about 'what would it take for you to move to take Eichel and then move forward.

Absolutely, let's move forward with all the excellent assets we have. No way do I surrender one of our young defenseman. No way! We need more good, solid defenseman not less.

I'm all for Eich, but here's a trade that is doable, but bad for Sabres (I think):

Buffalo gets 1st overall from Edmonton

Phoenix gets Reinhart and Buff' other 1st in 2015

Edmonton gets Eichel, Phoenix's 2015, +pick or player

Phoenix might need and additional incentive (Buffalo's 2016 1st instead of the other one this year). Edmonton would get Eichel and Hanifin + which makes sense. Buffalo gives up, essentially Eichel, Reinhart, at least this year's other first (maybe more), and likely something additional to Edmonton (though I honestly believe Eichel + Hanifin >McDavid).

I think it works for everyone except Buffalo, so I wouldn't do it. But it could be done

If pegula wants McDavid and is willing to pay huge to get him he can easily have him, if he buys the Oilers......

Now if you want to talk about realistic deals with edmonton, they may now be willing to deal one of the 3 other 1st round picks they drafted over the last few seasons to upgrade goaltending or defence.

Amen. Shouldn't be a thread. Eich is probably looking at these boards in disbelief at some of these ungrateful posts. He's one of a kind and will be the face of our franchise for a decade. Making Buffalo new Hockeytown USA, and not coming with a remote threat of wanting to continue career in Toronto once rookie contract is up. Also, Jackie Eichel is a much stronger name!!

My God..... calm down! Eichel will be likely just as good McDavid in the long run and with a bit more physicality which suits our intended style better anyway.

If McDavid refuses to play for Edmonton, they'll just take Eichel. And I doubt they trade down regardless since the only other pick getting a player on par with McDavid is #2 thus they'd have to move further down and likely infuriate the Oiler faithful.

My God..... calm down! Eichel will be likely just as good McDavid in the long run and with a bit more physicality which suits our intended style better anyway.

If McDavid refuses to play for Edmonton, they'll just take Eichel. And I doubt they trade down regardless since the only other pick getting a player on par with McDavid is #2 thus they'd have to move further down and likely infuriate the Oiler faithful.

McDavid states he won't play for the Oilers, so they set their sights on Eichel.  How long do you think it would be before Eichel makes the same declaration as McDavid?

Why is it so absurd that EDM won the draft lottery?  Because they've had 3 #1 picks in the last 5 years.  All those picks (and also a #3) were spent on forwards.  They've got plenty.  What they don't have plenty of is defense.  The Sabres can help them out there.  Trade some defensemen (anyone but Risto) and some picks for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, for instance.

When GMTM said, "We know who we like" and "We've done our homework" I think what he means is they looked at all the draft scenarios and have figured out what trades would make sense in the aftermath.  So he's already got a plan of who he wants to target on various teams, including EDM.  He's probably way ahead of us.

McDavid states he won't play for the Oilers, so they set their sights on Eichel.  How long do you think it would be before Eichel makes the same declaration as McDavid?

Can't wait to see the Onion headline running with that one: Central Scouting's top 60 prospects file for prospect union certification to guarantee none have to accept being drafted by Eulers! (A bit long, but Hoss or somebody could fix it.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.