Tim Murray: Lottery Presser

LGR4GM

Same here. Anyone who thinks that because they spend money on tickets, merchandise, etc., that they are OWED something by the team is delusional. 

GO SABRES!!!

Yes because we all love to just give our money away. :blink:

This is entertainment. It think it was Neo that said what fascinating theater it was on Saturday. They get paid because we pay to watch. If he doesn't like it he has two options, build a winner or go manage a junior b team. He cam across as the spoiled kid that wanted both the pony and the go-kart for his birthday.

This is entertainment. It think it was Neo that said what fascinating theater it was on Saturday. They get paid because we pay to watch. If he doesn't like it he has two options, build a winner or go manage a junior b team. He cam across as the spoiled kid that wanted both the pony and the go-kart for his birthday.

I'm sorry that you spent your money on the Sabres and Tim Murray didn't have an ear-to-ear smile and was laughing after we lost the draft lottery.

You aren't owed anything by any team you spend money on. Period. Buying a ticket is nothing more than obtaining a license to occupy that seat. Buying merchandise is nothing more than obtaining stuff in exchange for legal tender. 

You think you have the power to demand that Murray dance like a monkey as you stated above? You're the one spending money on an inferior product. Who's dancing for whom? 

GO SABRES!!!

You aren't owed anything by any team you spend money on. Period. Buying a ticket is nothing more than obtaining a license to occupy that seat. Buying merchandise is nothing more than obtaining stuff in exchange for legal tender. 

You think you have the power to demand that Murray dance like a monkey as you stated above? You're the one spending money on an inferior product. Who's dancing for whom? 

GO SABRES!!!

Exactly. Ultimatums are being given to Murray, when in reality the ultimatum is on the consumer. Spend your money on the product or don't. I'm pretty sure "attendance/viewership" isn't a metric in his contract.

GO SABRES!!!

They're not dancing for me. They are dancing for the NHL who decided this is the product it wants to sell.

When my boss tells me to dance, I do. I like to get paid.

They're not dancing for me. They are dancing for the NHL who decided this is the product it wants to sell.

I get the impression the NHL brass don't really care what Murray said and were more concerned with how many times Edmonton wins the lottery. 

Murray isn't dancing for the NHL, either. He's beholding to one man, Pegula; the person he directly reports to. I get the impression Pegula couldn't care less about Murray's demeanor as long as he produces a winning team. 

GO SABRES!!!

The NHL doesn't care what Tim Murray thinks.  And I really hope Tim Murray isn't dumb enough to think he was making a difference in future league policy with his comments last night.  If he is, we're in trouble.

although Murray did sort of make a difference in future league policy regarding the draft, they started implenting to rules to the lottery to try and prevent teams from intentionally throwing away seasons and tanking because of what he has done here to try and get mcdavid

There's a world of difference in saying the wrong thing as opposed to saying something the wrong way.

Tim Murray says what he feels and he doesn't try and sugar coat it.  Because most of the world lives its life trying NOT to offend someone people get all bent out of shape at straight forward comments.

As for what the media says, who cares.  The media's job is to overreact to everything these days.  So, go figure, they overreacted because those people have chosen a profession where they have to pander to the neanderthals of this world who can't take a moment to think for themselves.  It's important that people tell us how we should feel about something.

I can't believe the amount of wasted energy that has gone into this.  The speculation that players won't want to come here because of what Murray said.  As a player I know I'm going to get straight talk from the guy.  A guy like that will get players like that.  Those are players who don't spend their time needing someone to coddle them.  They don't need psychology.  They have the desire to show up and play and be called out when they suck.

It all sounds too horrible for me.

The fact that Murray clarified his statements the next day doesn't prove he was wrong.  It merely suggests that he recognizes and was probably asked to clarify his comments so people would stop crying over things.

As for fans being upset, I think people are just pissed they didn't get the first pick.  Perhaps there's some underlying bias towards a Canadian player over a US born player and their ability to dominate.  

At this point I no longer care.  Eichel is coming (most likely) and every report I've seen on him says he's outstanding.  I've not heard any negatives. I keep seeing comparisons on how he compares to other recently drafted players who went through the NCAA, etc.  He seems to have blown them away. 

although Murray did sort of make a difference in future league policy regarding the draft, they started implenting to rules to the lottery to try and prevent teams from intentionally throwing away seasons and tanking because of what he has done here to try and get mcdavid

That's not true. The big hockey markets wanted a shot at top talent in the draft. It has nothing to do with tanking. In fact, the new rules encourage tanking on a wider scale. Instead of one or two teams tanking for the 30th spot, the 7th or 8th worst team will tank to finish 3rd or 4th worst, for an increased chance at the top 3 picks, similar to what the Leafs did this season.

That's not true. The big hockey markets wanted a shot at top talent in the draft. It has nothing to do with tanking. In fact, the new rules encourage tanking on a wider scale. Instead of one or two teams tanking for the 30th spot, the 7th or 8th worst team will tank to finish 3rd or 4th worst, for an increased chance at the top 3 picks, similar to what the Leafs did this season.

And on top of that, teams may be bad for multiple years in an effort to get better players because they came in 4th one year and drafted 7th. Idk, think the lottery may cause more problems than it fixes. What happens when LA misses by 1 point and then wins the lottery.  A team with 60pts that lost veterans or just was mismanaged suddenly is drafting 4th instead of 1st while a team that had a couple of untimely injuries gets Connor McDavid.  The more I look at it the more I think they went to far. 

Bottom 8 are in the lotto for the top pick or maybe top 2 and no team can draft #1 two years in a row. 

And on top of that, teams may be bad for multiple years in an effort to get better players because they came in 4th one year and drafted 7th. Idk, think the lottery may cause more problems than it fixes. What happens when LA misses by 1 point and then wins the lottery.  A team with 60pts that lost veterans or just was mismanaged suddenly is drafting 4th instead of 1st while a team that had a couple of untimely injuries gets Connor McDavid.  The more I look at it the more I think they went to far. 

Bottom 8 are in the lotto for the top pick or maybe top 2 and no team can draft #1 two years in a row. 

Agreed. There is a reason the the NFL system works. When you are the worst team, you get the best player. Suddenly you aren't the worst team anymore. I can't recall the last time an NFL franchise picked #1 two years straight

Edit: looked it up, it hasn't been since 2000 that the Browns picked #1 twice in a row. And it's because they picked Tim Couch in 1999. Tim Couch sucks.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/alltimeno1

X. Benedict regrets that he has not met readers' posting expectations. X. Benedict's team of writers strive daily to create exceptional posts that uphold our culture of quality, insight, and creativity. Thank you for your continued support. We apologize by simply using the Thai word โรคติดเชื้อคลาไมเดีย, which means chlamydia.

Sawatdi Khrap.

Edited by MattPie

Interesting take, here. And I agree with your premise; more teams will be encouraged to "tank" as a result of expanding the lottery. It's all about big market teams (dollars) getting a shot at more elite talent. Murray has always been right that the worst team should get the #1 overall pick and so on down the order of finish. 

GO SABRES!!!

Agreed. There is a reason the the NFL system works. When you are the worst team, you get the best player. Suddenly you aren't the worst team anymore. I can't recall the last time an NFL franchise picked #1 two years straight

Edit: looked it up, it hasn't been since 2000 that the Browns picked #1 twice in a row. And it's because they picked Tim Couch in 1999. Tim Couch sucks.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/alltimeno1

I was talking over the weekend about how/why the NFL's approach doesn't seem to work with the NHL (or NBA, for that matter).

I think it has to do with at least two factors: In the NFL, the use and deployment of players is so different than in hockey (or hoops) and you can regularly get quality starters deep into the draft. It's a very different process and set of risks in the NHL and NBA.

I was talking over the weekend about how/why the NFL's approach doesn't seem to work with the NHL (or NBA, for that matter).

I think it has to do with at least two factors: In the NFL, the use and deployment of players is so different than in hockey (or hoops) and you can regularly get quality starters deep into the draft. It's a very different process and set of risks in the NHL and NBA.

It also might have to do with the quantity of players on the playing field at one time. In the NHL/NBA, there are only 5/6 players active at a time, so elite players have a much greater impact. In the NFL, there is much less of an impact from one player since there are 11 starters on offense and 11 on defense.

i.e. LeBron added to a crappy team is way more impactful short term than Aaron Rodgers to the Bucs. If only because LeBron can play 90% of the available game time if needed.

Please stop using Basketball as a comparison to Hockey. 

settle down.

the analysis yielded from that comparison will be fine.

It also might have to do with the quantity of players on the playing field at one time. In the NHL/NBA, there are only 5/6 players active at a time, so elite players have a much greater impact. In the NFL, there is much less of an impact from one player since there are 11 starters on offense and 11 on defense.

i.e. LeBron added to a crappy team is way more impactful short term than Aaron Rodgers to the Bucs. If only because LeBron can play 90% of the available game time if needed.

yeah - that's what i meant by "use/deployment" of players.

but let's shut this down. we're setting hockey up next to hoops up next to american football. liger won't stand for it.

The comparison is that Basketball's 14 man roster is much closer to Hockey's 23 than Football's 53 (46 active).

That is my point with respect to the draft.

More to the point for me isn't roster size, but specialization. There's at least 20 specific positions in football for the "usual" plays. Even picking in the teens you might be getting the best Guard or 3rd-best WR in the draft.

You also have in the NFL, except for a handful of prodigies, the players being drafted are 4 years past high school.  It is immensely easier to figure out if a 22 year old can play vs an 18 year old.  (And they still miss on picks in the NFL.)  And at 22, guys are approaching their peak physically - ~3 years away vs 7 for an 18 year old.

Throw in the fact that you have 24 starters (11, 11, 2 kickers) minimum per team and you can go through 80% of the 1st round and still get the top guy at his position.  In hockey, you're looking at the 5th best prospect at a position on average by the end of the 1st round.

You also, because NFL teams are so much larger, have far more free agents available to try to fill holes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.