Tim Murray: Lottery Presser

LGR4GM

This thread gets more annoying by the post. These irrational Murray haters keep looking for trivial nonsense to try to demonstrate how "Murray sucks". It's constant grasping at straws in lieu of a real reason. It reminds me of a couple of girls I dated. Constantly making up stuff just to have something to whine about.

Murray will draft Eichel at #2, he'll play in Buffalo next year, and everyone will be happy except for the Murray haters who will probably be crying that he didn't smile during a press conference or something.

They're all worried that Murray isn't being sensitive enough to a player he hasn't even drafted yet. 

This thread gets more annoying by the post. These irrational Murray haters keep looking for trivial nonsense to try to demonstrate how "Murray sucks". It's constant grasping at straws in lieu of a real reason. It reminds me of a couple of girls I dated. Constantly making up stuff just to have something to whine about.

Murray will draft Eichel at #2, he'll play in Buffalo next year, and everyone will be happy except for the Murray haters who will probably be crying that he didn't smile during a press conference or something.

Speaking of grasping at straws, the scenario in bold is a bunch of made-up nonsense from straight out of your imagination.

At least the "Murray haters" in the thread are talking about actual quotes from yesterday, and not making "Gosh, I'll bet when this happens, then the haters will do this" arguments.

"People took my comments last night as an insult to Jack Eichel, that's the furthest thing from the truth, I love Jack Eichel," said Murray, referring to his comments that he was disappointed for Sabres fans. 

"Do you want to win the lottery? I mean, absolutely. I mean, we haven't even had our [draft] meetings yet. We haven't done our list yet. I wanted to win the lottery and pick who we pick. Maybe after we have our meeting in two weeks, maybe we have Jack Eichel at No. 1.

"But when you go to anything, you want to win, that's all. We knew full well we probably weren't going to win. We had an 80 percent chance of losing it. So we knew that."

And Murray says it's not about settling for Eichel if the Oilers -- as expected -- take Connor McDavid first overall.

"To me it's not a consolation prize," said Murray. "There's two guys in the draft [who] stand out, we'd be extremely happy with either one of them. That's the way we came into the year and it hasn't changed one iota since. They're both great players. They're both impact players if they're not franchise players; I think they're both franchise players. But at worst, they're impact players. I've said that about both guys all year."

Good.  I'm glad he did this.

Edited by Robviously

Speaking of grasping at straws, the scenario in bold is a bunch of made-up nonsense from straight out of your imagination.

At least the "Murray haters" in the thread are talking about actual quotes from yesterday, and not making "Gosh, I'll bet when this happens, then the haters will do this" arguments.

I wouldn't be shocked at anything based on how butt hurt you weirdos are about a friggin' press conference.

I wouldn't be shocked at anything based on how butt hurt you weirdos are about a friggin' press conference.

Apparently not that weird since Murray came out today and clarified his comments.  See above.

I guess even he realized how his comments sounded in retrospect.

The positive things he had to say aren't getting any attention today.  They aren't nearly as juicy as the negative things he had to say.

It's never a good idea to rely on the media to treat you fairly or with nuance.  They love a good story.  His words were perfect for them make this narrative and now that's the national story.  This is literally why I'm beside myself with him doing what he did last night.  It's not like that was his first day as an NHL GM, but it was amateur hour all the way.  He should be way more savvy than that.

I rest my case. 

GO SABRES!!!

I rest my case. 

GO SABRES!!!

Your case was what?  That the media should be nice and play fair?  They're never going to.

He came out and clarified all his remarks to ESPN this afternoon.  I'm guessing he wouldn't have done that if he didn't think he played it wrong yesterday.

Your case was what?  That the media should be nice and play fair?  They're never going to.

He came out and clarified all his remarks to ESPN this afternoon.  I'm guessing he wouldn't have done that if he didn't think he played it wrong yesterday.

Or he assumed that people like you wouldn't spend all day today overreacting. 

Murray is a grumpy pessimistic hockey dude.

Why be surprised by grumpy pessimistic hockey dude behavior?

The lottery was a gimmicky preGame sideshow. Murray showed his contempt for it.

I like him more and more each day.

What he says or doesnt say in public is more for a PR person to keep Murray out of trouble. My concern is for his hockey sense and my sense that his desire for control may lead to inflexibilty when choosing a new coach and whether he has ability to find diamond in later rounds or able to trade guys for better assets.

So far 50/50 imo but jury is still out. Bogo good, Kane who knows but has dreaded potential, Lemieux a minor snafu.... Will Comfer, Bailey, Baptiste, et al turn into useable players? Do Sabres markedly improve next year under who as their coach? Should be interesting...

Edited by North Buffalo

Murray's fine. The sabres are fine. 

He looked like a pissy little boy last night but hell get over it. He needs to turn his attention to the next most important task: Making a Rex Ryan-like hire to infuse some enthusiasm into the organization. 

Did anyone count how many times Murray said "Pro-cess" last night?  Gotta love that Canadian accent. 

Sorry, Liger. All that matter are the remarks Murray made last night in the heat of the moment. Any quotes born out of careful consideration and/or reflection are no indication of his ability to successfully manage this franchise and oversee the rebuild. We should all put more weight into Murray's off the cuff remarks. 

GO SABRES!!!

That's it's nothing more than an agenda-driven narrative by a media that would rather sensationalize than provide full context to a story. That style seems to appeal to a certain segment of consumers. I know you can relate to that aspect of this. 

I like how you choose to further castigate Murray after he had a chance to reflect on things from last night. But I'm not surprised given your belief that spontaneous, off the cuff remarks are more indicative of his ability to do his job. It's also indicative of my earlier assertion that there is nothing Murray can say to sway you from your predetermined viewpoint. 

GO SABRES!!!

Or he assumed that people like you wouldn't spend all day today overreacting. 

I spent all day assuming the national media would run wild with his comments.  They did.  To the point where he had to come out and clarify this afternoon.  

Sucks to find out I was right, huh?

Sorry, Liger. All that matter are the remarks Murray made last night in the heat of the moment. Any quotes born out of careful consideration and/or reflection are no indication of his ability to successfully manage this franchise and oversee the rebuild. We should all put more weight into Murray's off the cuff remarks. 

GO SABRES!!!

That's it's nothing more than an agenda-driven narrative by a media that would rather sensationalize than provide full context to a story. That style seems to appeal to a certain segment of consumers. I know you can relate to that aspect of this. 

I like how you choose to further castigate Murray after he had a chance to reflect on things from last night. But I'm not surprised given your belief that spontaneous, off the cuff remarks are more indicative of his ability to do his job. It's also indicative of my earlier assertion that there is nothing Murray can say to sway you from your predetermined viewpoint. 

GO SABRES!!!

Look, I love your enthusiasm and the fact that you're still doubling down even after Murray himself decided to come out and clarify his remarks from yesterday.

But, seriously, where am I further castigating him???  I wrote "Good. I'm glad he did this." a few minutes ago.  Or were you reading something into that too?  Was that part of my agenda?

What he says or doesnt say in public is more for a PR person to keep Murray out of trouble. My concern is for his hockey sense and my sense that his desire for control may lead to inflexibilty when choosing a new coach and whether he has ability to find diamond in later rounds or able to trade guys for better assets.

So far 50/50 imo but jury is still out. Bogo good, Kane who know but has dreaded potential, Lemieux a minor snafu.... Will Comfer, Bailey, Baptiste, et al turn into useable players? Do Sabres markedly improve next year under who as their coach? Should be interesting...

They were all selected before Murray got here. 

GO SABRES!!!

I spent all day assuming the national media would run wild with his comments.  They did.  To the point where he had to come out and clarify this afternoon.  

Look, I love your enthusiasm and the fact that you're still doubling down even after Murray himself decided to come out and clarify his remarks from yesterday.

But, seriously, where am I further castigating him???  I wrote "Good. I'm glad he did this." a few minutes ago.  Or were you reading something into that too?  Was that part of my agenda?

Fair enough. Perhaps that was overstated on my end in this instance. 

But criticizing Murray is part and parcel to your agenda to convince everyone that he's out of his depth. 

GO SABRES!!!

So far 50/50 imo but jury is still out. Bogo good, Kane who knows but has dreaded potential, Lemieux a minor snafu.... Will Comfer, Bailey, Baptiste, et al turn into useable players? Do Sabres markedly improve next year under who as their coach? Should be interesting...

I'm gonna nitpick because well I feel like.

Lemieux isn't a snafu. We drafted him and traded him so he got us a return.  A snafu would have been not trading him, him not signing, and us losing him for nothing.  Murray was not the GM when we drafted Compher, Bailey or Baptiste... so there's that.  

Now if you want to worry about Murray, Cornel, Reinhart, etc... those guys need to see a couple of them pan out.

Fair enough. Perhaps that was overstated on my end in this instance. 

But criticizing Murray is part and parcel to your agenda to convince everyone that he's out of his depth. 

GO SABRES!!!

"Overstated" meaning you just made something up out of thin air?

And I love that you're still trying to sell this idea that I have a nefarious agenda to prove Murray can't do the job.  I've literally criticized him on one thing since he's taken the job (this) and you're accusing me of plotting against him.  Hilarious.

They were all selected before Murray got here.

GO SABRES!!!

Fair enough was lazy on ipad and didnt recheck last years draft...Karabacek, Cornel, Martin, Johassen, Willman, Brown and Olafsson, along with Lemieux who is no longer here and Max.

Agree with second part, especially considering his rep is that of a first rate scout...

Edited by North Buffalo

You have a firm grasp of the obvious. Congrats!

GO SABRES!!!

"Overstated" meaning you just made something up out of thin air?

And I love that you're still trying to sell this idea that I have a nefarious agenda to prove Murray can't do the job.  I've literally criticized him on one thing since he's taken the job (this) and you're accusing me of plotting against him.  Hilarious.

No, overstated in that I made a poor choice of words. 

I assure you, nothing about my opinion of your views on Murray is from thin air. You have provided ample material to remove any doubt. 

GO SABRES!!!

This is a massive exaggeration. 

I'm gonna nitpick because well I feel like.

Lemieux isn't a snafu. We drafted him and traded him so he got us a return.  A snafu would have been not trading him, him not signing, and us losing him for nothing.  Murray was not the GM when we drafted Compher, Bailey or Baptiste... so there's that.  

Now if you want to worry about Murray, Cornel, Reinhart, etc... those guys need to see a couple of them pan out.

I know we disagree on Lemieux, and at least he got something post imo misjudgement... Better than Darcy sticking with the Tin Man for too long.... Or not resigning Briere.

I know we disagree on Lemieux, and at least he got something post imo misjudgement... Better than Darcy sticking with the Tin Man for too long.... Or not resigning Briere.

We disagree because you still care about Lemiuex. Also you projecting misjudgment, he didn't actually misjudge because he moved him. You are playing in the realm of what ifs

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.