Tim Murray: Lottery Presser

LGR4GM

Ok Murray gets it abt center... But he needs to suck it up on process even though i agree with him process sucks. He needs to promote the league... NFL would fine him for these comments.

TY for posting.

Edited by North Buffalo

I don't know what the big deal is.  He is answering questions honestly and they keep asking him similar questions.  We complain when these guys evade questions and we complain when they try to answer honestly.  He doesn't agree with the lottery system and he seems excited to get Eichel.  How would you answer some idiot who asks you if you'd like the number one pick.  Duh, no I'd prefer pick number two?

I don't know what the big deal is.  He is answering questions honestly and they keep asking him similar questions.  We complain when these guys evade questions and we complain when they try to answer honestly.  He doesn't agree with the lottery system and he seems excited to get Eichel.  How would you answer some idiot who asks you if you'd like the number one pick.  Duh, no I'd prefer pick number two?

Gotta say I heard it the same way you did. His style is his style. I'm fine with it.

I didn't watch. Was on my way home from a fishing trip and heard a sports update. I thought to myself, Eichel great, oh I need gas. I think Murray may have been more disappointed initially than I was but that presser confirms he's where I am now. 1 and 1A. Welcome aboard Jack.

the lottery process is stupid. Any system that would allow a team that barely missed the playoffs a shot at selecting first overall is utterly stupid. I accept allowing the bottom 3 or 5 a chance at it to help discourage tanking. But the whole point of the draft picks being ordered the way they are is to allow the weaker teams to improve. Explain how letting a team like the Kings a shot at the first overall selection helps with parity?

Murray is a no-nonsense guy and he hates the theatre associated with how the NHL does the lottery thing.

That's all this is.  

I did think his answer about moving up to No.1 was interesting.  He certainly didn't give an emphatic "NO". 

In fact, he said "We will regroup and discuss that tomorrow" or words to that effect.

I don't see Edmonton giving up the No.1 pick though, so Eichel it is.

I think Murray is huge on Eichel and will be happy to get him.

the lottery process is stupid. Any system that would allow a team that barely missed the playoffs a shot at selecting first overall is utterly stupid. I accept allowing the bottom 3 or 5 a chance at it to help discourage tanking. But the whole point of the draft picks being ordered the way they are is to allow the weaker teams to improve. Explain how letting a team like the Kings a shot at the first overall selection helps with parity?

I agree. Organizations rebuild but these days players and coaches aren't throwing games, maybe back in the 80's when Pittsburgh did it but not anymore.

Murray is a no-nonsense guy and he hates the theatre associated with how the NHL does the lottery thing.

That's all this is.

I did think his answer about moving up to No.1 was interesting. He certainly didn't give an emphatic "NO".

In fact, he said "We will regroup and discuss that tomorrow" or words to that effect.

I don't see Edmonton giving up the No.1 pick though, so Eichel it is.

I think Murray is huge on Eichel and will be happy to get him.

We have a mini-team usa. Eichel, Compher, Fasching, and McCabe.

I agree. Organizations rebuild but these days players and coaches aren't throwing games, maybe back in the 80's when Pittsburgh did it but not anymore.

In this day and age of instant news and mass video coverage I doubt any player would want to risk "throwing games" and being caught.

Media is making too much out of TM disappointment, he stated earlier that he would prefer #1 to be in control, which he likes. He's been preparing for weeks to probably get Eichel. He doesn't like the spotlight and the PR work, especially after this punch to the gut.

Zero *#€~%^s given about the league's lottery and show, but he cares about Jack.

The lottery is stupid from top to bottom. What is the purpose of a draft?

Allow the bad teams to draft the best players. The worst team should get the best player. 

The biggest off season move will be the hiring of a top quality coach regardless of the draft. Edmonton has failed with 3 overall #1 picks so adding McDavid is no guarantee they will succeed this time.

If the Sabres add Eichel and a top coach, I'll be pleased. 

Media is making too much out of TM disappointment, he stated earlier that he would prefer #1 to be in control, which he likes. He's been preparing for weeks to probably get Eichel. He doesn't like the spotlight and the PR work, especially after this punch to the gut.

Zero *#€~%^s given about the league's lottery and show, but he cares about Jack.

This isn't Day 1 of the media making too much out of things.  That's basically been their MO forever.  This is why most pro athletes, coaches, and GMs are savvy enough to not say anything they can do too much with.

*Most* 

Here's the cover of the Buffalo News Draft Lottery edition tomorrow.  https://twitter.com/JasonBaumBN/status/589624681059192832

Nice headline: "Murray disappointed..."  The fact that the word "disappointed" is appearing anywhere near the news about Jack Eichel coming to Buffalo is insanely embarrassing for the Buffalo Sabres.  

I'm already weary of Murray's "I'm a straight-shooter" schtick; he's put his foot in his mouth a few times now and I don't see how it helps us in any way.  He can keep his mouth shut or just stick to the same vague statements that every other GM makes from here on out.  He's been an NHL GM for just over a year and he's not nearly accomplished enough to get away with saying dopey things to the media.  

This isn't Day 1 of the media making too much out of things. That's basically been their MO forever. This is why most pro athletes, coaches, and GMs are savvy enough to not say anything they can do too much with.

*Most*

Here's the cover of the Buffalo News Draft Lottery edition tomorrow. https://twitter.com/JasonBaumBN/status/589624681059192832

Nice headline: "Murray disappointed..." The fact that the word "disappointed" is appearing anywhere near the news about Jack Eichel coming to Buffalo is insanely embarrassing for the Buffalo Sabres.

I'm already weary of Murray's "I'm a straight-shooter" schtick; he's put his foot in his mouth a few times now and I don't see how it helps us in any way. He can keep his mouth shut or just stick to the same vague statements that every other GM makes from here on out. He's been an NHL GM for just over a year and he's not nearly accomplished enough to get away with saying dopey things to the media.

The Sabres need to lawyer up and get those fax machines churning.

So, now that the Sabres actually accomplished a season long goal, is this your thing, now, bemoaning every step and word Murray makes as reported by the press, distorted, out of context, or not?

The Sabres need to lawyer up and get those fax machines churning.

So, now that the Sabres actually accomplished a season long goal, is this your thing, now, bemoaning every step and word Murray makes as reported by the press, distorted, out of context, or not?

Ad hominem attacks aren't going to win the debate.

I listened to his press conference live after the lottery. Was the press distorting his words in real time?

He said a bunch of dumb things. You're offended people noticed?

I listened to his press conference live after the lottery. Was the press distorting his words in real time?

He said a bunch of dumb things. You're offended people noticed?

Peyote helps in moments like these.

I'm already weary of Murray's "I'm a straight-shooter" schtick; he's put his foot in his mouth a few times now and I don't see how it helps us in any way.  He can keep his mouth shut or just stick to the same vague statements that every other GM makes from here on out.  He's been an NHL GM for just over a year and he's not nearly accomplished enough to get away with saying dopey things to the media.  

I don't care what he says if he brings a Cup to Buffalo.

It's a message forum and not a debate.  And...... that was hardly what I would call an ad hominem attack.  SiZzlEmeIsTEr merely asked if you're going to piss and moan from now on. I'm kind of curious too, because if you are I'll just put you on Ignore and be done with it until there's actual hockey games to talk about again.

Murray sounds like he's acclimating to life in Buffalo;  becoming accustomed and numbed by/to disappointment.

Last year he was all optimistic in the hours before the Lottery;  "I want to win SOMETHING" he said enthusiastically.     

Welcome to Buffalo, Tim.   LOL  

Murray sounds like he's acclimating to life in Buffalo;  becoming accustomed and numbed by/to disappointment.

Last year he was all optimistic in the hours before the Lottery;  "I want to win SOMETHING" he said enthusiastically.     

Welcome to Buffalo, Tim.   LOL  

Well, he did have a better chance of winning last year. ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.