Tim Murray: Lottery Presser

LGR4GM

I definitely would have preferred Turris and Brassard to Eichel and Reinhart. They could have been this generation's Plante and Holzinger. Throw in keeping Darcy and Rolston and eighth place here we come!

Out of context post is out of context.

Quality centers don't become available all that often and when they do they are usually either past their prime or in the thick of it and heading towards the down slope of their careers. Being able to acquire guys like Brad Richards, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Kyle Turris, Derick Brassard, or Tyler Seguin would have kept us from having to tank for a blue chip center, but it's all water under the bridge at this point and now that the tank is over, I'm happy to have Eichel and Reinhart.

Out of context post is out of context.

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

And oh yeah - Ottawa is really killing it in their playoff series with Montreal after their heroic run to 8th place.

Brassard's fine but it helps when the wingers include St. Louis and Nash. Who did the Sabres have that compared? We haven't had a winger with that much star power since Mogilny.

Edited by MBHockey13

Edmonton sucks because they draft soft finesse players year after year after year. They always draft forwards.  They never get players of value outside of the 1st round and UFA's have no desire to go to Edmonton because it's freaking Edmonton.  If I had to pick a team today between Buffalo and Edmonton, I take Buffalo. 

Not only that, but MacTavish is so enamored with the guys he has drafted that he isn't willing to use their value to fix the defense and get some heavier players in the top 6. Between the six of McDavid, Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov and Drasantl he should pick three or four and use the others to get similar quality players at positions of need.

It's the Darcy effect.

And oh yeah - Ottawa is really killing it in their playoff series with Montreal after their heroic run to 8th place.

Brassard's fine but it helps when the wingers include St. Louis and Nash. Who did the Sabres have that compared? We haven't had a winger with that much star power since Mogilny.

Always wondered what happened to this guy.

fatheadchina_zpsfde2b385.jpg

Not only that, but MacTavish is so enamored with the guys he has drafted that he isn't willing to use their value to fix the defense and get some heavier players in the top 6. Between the six of McDavid, Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov and Drasantl he should pick three or four and use the others to get similar quality players at positions of need.

It's the Darcy effect.

Pretty much.  Drafting Draisaitl was in direct line with trying to get heavier even though Bennett was the better player and will probably be the better player. Edmonton just keeps shooting themselves in the foot and keeps winning lotteries. 

There's so much more to developing a winning team than just drafting high-end talent and saying, "OK, have at it boys." What kind of leadership qualities do these guys possess? What kind of "hockey" character do they have? I submit Edmonton, for all its high draft picks, doesn't value that aspect as much as they should or they just did a terrible job of scouting that component in those players. 

Contrast that with everything we've heard of Reinhart and Eichel. Both mature beyond their years, great leaders, great teammates, and possessing the necessary work ethic. Even if Reinhart needs another year to develop physically and has to spend it in the A, he's still gonna be worth it. Eichel is flat out gonna be one of the strongest, if not THE strongest, guys on the team the moment he walks in the building. 

Unless the Oilers get serious about their back end and goalie situations, they are gonna be looking up at us for a while, regardless of how good McDavid is. 

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

There's so much more to developing a winning team than just drafting high-end talent and saying, "OK, have at it boys." What kind of leadership qualities do these guys possess? What kind of "hockey" character do they have? I submit Edmonton, for all its high draft picks, doesn't value that aspect as much as they should or they just did a terrible job of scouting that component in those players.

Contrast that with everything we've heard of Reinhart and Eichel. Both mature beyond their years, great leaders, great teammates, and possessing the necessary work ethic. Even if Reinhart needs another year to develop physically and has to spend it in the A, he's still gonna be worth it. Eichel is flat out gonna be one of the strongest, if not THE strongest, guys on the team the moment he walks in the building.

Unless the Oilers get serious about their back end and goalie situations, they are gonna be looking up at us for a while, regardless of how good McDavid is.

GO SABRES!!!

I think Edmonton's number one problem by a country mile is simply that they haven't hit on anyone outside of their first round picks. Hall is great, RNH and Eberle are very good, Klefbom really came in this year, and Yakupov certainly isn't a bust yet. But outside of them? Zero, zip, zilch.

I think Edmonton's number one problem by a country mile is simply that they haven't hit on anyone outside of their first round picks. Hall is great, RNH and Eberle are very good, Klefbom really came in this year, and Yakupov certainly isn't a bust yet. But outside of them? Zero, zip, zilch.

Yep. you can easily second-guess, but it's difficult to roast them for most of their recent first-rounders when you look at who else was available when they were picked.

It's their total inability to acquire any other talent at all.

MacTavish commented after the lottery that you have to outscore your opponent to win games.

Back to the Oilers of old, fire wagon hockey!

Not working for them now, but add McDavid and it may work. Win a Cup and then the copycats come out of the woodwork and we're back to 3.14 goals against average winning the Vezina.

Doubt it but never say never.

MacTavish commented after the lottery that you have to outscore your opponent to win games.

Back to the Oilers of old, fire wagon hockey!

Not working for them now, but add McDavid and it may work. Win a Cup and then the copycats come out of the woodwork and we're back to 3.14 goals against average winning the Vezina.

Doubt it but never say never.

That would honestly be pretty fun. The NHL would be better off if everyone was GO GO GO on offense instead of concentrating on defense to a stifling degree.

I'm not saying that the Oilers would succeed doing that, but could you imagine?

He said THREE really stupid things:

1. "I feel for the fans...." -- These would be the same fans who celebrated clinching 30th because it meant Eichel.  The fans aren't upset; the fans are excited.  This is Murray whining and trying to use the fans as cover for that.  

2. His whole WJC analogy.  Being cut from the team and missing a chance to play for your country is NOT the same thing as landing the lesser of two generational talents coming out in this year's draft.  This analogy fails on every level.

3. "We'll make the best of it." -- This is just a sh*tty thing to say.  Everyone drafts who is available to them, and the GM is not supposed to mutter "we'll make the best of it" because the guy he daydreams about won't be there.

I think the part of the process he doesn't like is being dragged up to Toronto for stupid dog-and-pony shows in consecutive years where he has to appear on TV as a loser.

I know the conversation has moved beyong this at this point, but I just wanted to chime in with one thing in regard to Murray's comments, specifically about the WJC analogy. Don't want to start up the whole thing again, just wanted to mention one thing:

My take is that I don't think he was referencing the WJC in regards to comparing the disappointment of being cut to disappointment about not winning the lottery. I saw the clip on CBC and he was making a comparison between the WJC selction process and the lottery process. He mentions specifically the very early morning phone call the players receive, informing them they didn't make the team. Not a perfect comparison, but he's saying that it sucks to get a bit of bad news in an annoying way. The kids aren't just informed they aren't making the team, they are getting woken up at 6 am to be told so. Murray goes on to say that he would have been fine if they had called him at home and told him he didn't win. 

His entire point in regards to the WJC reference was that he hated having to go through the circus that was the lottery broadcast, and it was an annoying way to find out that he had lost. That particular comment had nothing to do with Murray trying to reference a "similar disappointment level" instance.

I know the conversation has moved beyong this at this point, but I just wanted to chime in with one thing in regard to Murray's comments, specifically about the WJC analogy. Don't want to start up the whole thing again, just wanted to mention one thing:

My take is that I don't think he was referencing the WJC in regards to comparing the disappointment of being cut to disappointment about not winning the lottery. I saw the clip on CBC and he was making a comparison between the WJC selction process and the lottery process. He mentions specifically the very early morning phone call the players receive, informing them they didn't make the team. Not a perfect comparison, but he's saying that it sucks to get a bit of bad news in an annoying way. The kids aren't just informed they aren't making the team, they are getting woken up at 6 am to be told so. Murray goes on to say that he would have been fine if they had called him at home and told him he didn't win. 

His entire point in regards to the WJC reference was that he hated having to go through the circus that was the lottery broadcast, and it was an annoying way to find out that he had lost. That particular comment had nothing to do with Murray trying to reference a "similar disappointment level" instance.

Percipient as hell.

Perceptive take.

I hadn't thought of it that way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.