The Jack Eichel thread.

LGR4GM

Is it just me or does McDavid kinda look like Pinocchio's friend from the Disney movie?

pinocchio-lampwick-2.jpg

I think you may have something here

Never realized how much I hate Don Cherry until I saw this. Still, Eichel's awesome.

My post was somewhat tongue in cheek because somebody had to stick up for the yellow corn water those of us with unsophisticated palates or lessor budgets choose to enjoy.

I'm not a wine drinker but beer seems to be moving in that direction. I can tell the difference between a $5 bottle of bum wine and a $20 bottle but can't really tell the difference between a $20 bottle and and pricier $50 or $100 one so to me it's just wasted money in that regard. Maybe some blue bloods out there can truly tell the difference between a $200 bottle and a $1000 bottle (probably after spending big bucks on wine tasting classes) but I imagine for the majority of the people who spring for the uber fancy and expensive stuff do it more to flaunt their wealth than anything else and would fail a Pepsi challenge when push came to shove as long as the wines were the same style (both Merlot or both pinot noir, etc).

I have no taste for wine.  It all seems pretty bad to me, and I definitely can't discern between $20 and $100 wine.  My only true experience getting drunk from the stuff is really really nice champagne at a super swanky wedding.

As far as beers go, I'm not very picky, but I am more with Claude as far as taste and what I buy is concerned.  I learned most of what I know about beer from my older sister.  She and her boyfriend are always brewing something these days.  They're only been doing it for ~7 months so far and their beers are just now starting to get drinkable.

I'm curious, did you intend to paraphrase that Budweiser commercial or did it just subconsciously come out? :) FWIW, you mention that you like regular beer more than lite for the taste and alcohol content. You can can get just as drunk on 4 7% beers as 6 4.5% (macro lagers), so really the cost isn't that different.

I did the math once, and two Victory Hop Devils (as an example) has the same number of calories and alcohol as 5 MGD 64s. I know which I'd rather drink.

Definitely didn't mean to paraphrase any Budweiser commercial. I'm personally loyal to the Milwaukee Beers, although I did load trucks for an Anheuser Busch wholesaler back in my college days.

I drink Budweiser though when I go to a place with limited options because every place carries it and I don't mind it. I tend to stay away from light beers though because to me it's a diet beer with lowered calories and alcohol content, they just don't call it diet beer because then most men wouldn't buy it.

I definitely get the concept of having fewer stronger beers rather than more weaker ones but Milwaukees's Best Ice still gives me the best bang for the buck. A 12 pack runs me $6.99 and they are 5.9% abv. I think you've got to go with hobo wine like wild irish rose, bottom shelf liquor, or malt liquor to beat that.

Speaking of Toews and Eichel

I'm unsure as to the situation prior to this but it would appear as Eichel is more confident with the NHLers than McDavid is so far, seems likely thanks to the Worlds.

McDavid stood with the group and shook Toews hand from the side as seen in another picture, Eichel stood in front of him and shook his hand. In a sense I get the impression while impressed and equally happy to meet one of the NHL's greats, since he's already played against a few he isn't quite so shy in introducing himself. I doubt this has any long term value but just an observation I saw. 

I'm unsure as to the situation prior to this but it would appear as Eichel is more confident with the NHLers than McDavid is so far, seems likely thanks to the Worlds.

McDavid stood with the group and shook Toews hand from the side as seen in another picture, Eichel stood in front of him and shook his hand. In a sense I get the impression while impressed and equally happy to meet one of the NHL's greats, since he's already played against a few he isn't quite so shy in introducing himself. I doubt this has any long term value but just an observation I saw. 

If we think it, we can make it have long term value!

Good observation. McDavid looks like a starstuck kid in those pictures. You'll notice Toews isn't even looking at him in one but is looking Eichel in the eye in the other one.

From watching their interviews the past few months Eichel just seems less self-conscious in general. Since self-consciousness is the #1 cause of anxiety and insecurity, it would help explain on a psychological level why Eichel was so mentally prepared in college and at the Worlds. 

Good observation. McDavid looks like a starstuck kid in those pictures. You'll notice Toews isn't even looking at him in one but is looking Eichel in the eye in the other one.

From watching their interviews the past few months Eichel just seems less self-conscious in general. Since self-consciousness is the #1 cause of anxiety and insecurity, it would help explain on a psychological level why Eichel was so mentally prepared in college and at the Worlds. 

Interesting. And welcome aboard. Not sure if you've lurked but basically what you're saying is Eichel is the perfect match for Murray and the one he wanted all along as evidenced by the ZFG look of Eichel. 

For some reason I only get one picture (the one of Eichel) but I think I understand your observation.

I really truly believe that because we are picking second, we will see everything Eichel does from here to his first game as better than what McDavid does, and that we'd flip the names had we won the lottery. From analyzing their interviews to where Toews is looking the moment the camera snaps.

For some reason I only get one picture (the one of Eichel) but I think I understand your observation.

Granted, if you take the picture at the perfect time, you can claim that it looks like McDavid is checking out Toew's ass.  A single picture can be very misleading when trying to draw any of these conclusions.

I really truly believe that because we are picking second, we will see everything Eichel does from here to his first game as better than what McDavid does, and that we'd flip the names had we won the lottery. From analyzing their interviews to where Toews is looking the moment the camera snaps.

Glad somebody said it

I'd likely wouldn't of commented in that regard, but I do think I'd still like Eichel regardless. Would still want McDavid though.

I think we are over hyping Eichel a bit but he does seem to fit the team Murray wants to build better than McDavid as well. Both are awesone prospects for sure but outside of the size difference I think (bias aside) the only area Eichel actually beats McDavid is that he has a better shot.

Granted, if you take the picture at the perfect time, you can claim that it looks like McDavid is checking out Toew's ass.  A single picture can be very misleading when trying to draw any of these conclusions.

True. But it fits with everything else I've seen off the ice with Eichel and McDavid. I've haven't seen Eichel awed by anything yet. 

I think you may have something here

Never realized how much I hate Don Cherry until I saw this. Still, Eichel's awesome.

Great sarcasm by Eichel of CHerry's support for USA hockey, suprised Cherry didnt burst into flames when he touched that shirt... Edited by North Buffalo

There is one difference. Toews was a college frosh at North Dakota and knows the accomplishment Eichel achieved. Respect is earned not given. 

There is one difference. Toews was a college frosh at North Dakota and knows the accomplishment Eichel achieved. Respect is earned not given. 

Actually, Toews has no idea about Eichel's accomplishment. ;)

And be careful what you're saying, Toews went back one more year. :bag:

Good article here on Jacky boy. Includes video of his dominant combine. The legend of Jack's weight-room prowess continues to grow. I could barely lift the bar as an 18-year old, let alone clear 330 pounds. 

The World Junior video is well-edited also. His strength is on display as he continually uses his body for separation especially along the boards. What a combination of quickness, speed and power. Jack!!!

Edited by GrassValleyGreg

Good article here on Jacky boy. Includes video of his dominant combine. The legend of Jack's weight-room prowess continues to grow. I could barely lift the bar as an 18-year old, let alone clear 330 pounds. 

Best comparable is probably a combination of Joe Thornton and Mike Modano

Can you imagine that player?