The Jack Eichel thread.

LGR4GM

More Eichel videos and interviews with his first grade teacher who knew all along he was special. This is a unicorns and jujubees thread and has gone off the rails. If you don't have hockey video bunnies are acceptable.

same here, as a fan watching two horrible seasons it would really suck to have him stay in school. Yes I get the long term picture but also i want to be able to watch a hockey team grow, with most prospects on the big club. I really think he has less than a 10% chance of staying in school.  

He is on a diff physical level than other prospects who have returned to NCAA

you are 19 yrs old. u have the chance to make 1 million dollars the first year..or you could go back to BU and say "daddy can I borrow $100 me and the guys are gonna  rent a room up in cape cod for the weekend and my allowance wont quite cover it.."

I disagree with this. Young guys develop better when they're playing in sheltered roles. I want to put Grigo, Larsson, and Reinhart in a position to succeed, not throw them out there to get slaughtered by the other team's top lines/pairings. I also think it'd be better long term if Eichel plays in the NHL next year and starts developing his game with the big boys. He's dominated college hockey, no reason to go back.

Larsson didn't look like he was getting "slaughtered" while on the top line to end the season.

I disagree with this.  Young guys develop better when they're playing in sheltered roles.  I want to put Grigo, Larsson, and Reinhart in a position to succeed, not throw them out there to get slaughtered by the other team's top lines/pairings.  I also think it'd be better long term if Eichel plays in the NHL next year and starts developing his game with the big boys.  He's dominated college hockey, no reason to go back.

right on the $$$$

I hope they give Eichel a chance to center the top line immediately and give him a chance (20 games or so) to sink or swim unless it just appears completely obvious that he isn't ready. If he's getting beat like a rented mule then either give Reinhart a chance or move Zemgus back up to the top line to allow the young guys to be sheltered a bit and work on their flaws and get through their growing pains.

I hope they give Eichel a chance to center the top line immediately and give him a chance (20 games or so) to sink or swim unless it just appears completely obvious that he isn't ready. If he's getting beat like a rented mule then either give Reinhart a chance or move Zemgus back up to the top line to allow the young guys to be sheltered a bit and work on their flaws and get through their growing pains.

I don't know. Last time I rented a mule, I treated it very well.

...and no disrespect toward Girgs, but if we're trying to protect Eichel and Reinhart, I think I put Larsson on the top line to start. I thought he was more offensively creative than Girgs.

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

I don't want Sam and Jack to be slaughtered but it is part of the learning process to go up against Toews, Kopitar and such and see what they do and how they need to counter these guys.

The more important step is to get them acclimated to the speed and brutality of NHL hockey.  Once they have that down, then they can start worrying about going against the league's best.  I'm not sure Tyler Ennis learned much from being destroyed by Eric Staal at center ice, but who knows maybe that was a valuable learning experience for him.

I wonder about this protecting young players thing.

I don't think next year is about winning as much as development of young players and building a better team for the future. I am sure we'll win more games and if we can make a run to the playoffs that would be awesome. But I think helping the kids grow is most important.

Maybe it depends on the player. Maybe someone like Reinhart and Grigo need time on the farm. Maybe someone like Eichel needs to be playing against the best night after night.

I don't think you need to protect his psyche. I'm not sure if first line NHL centers are like rookie QBs who get slaughtered in their first few starts and never recover.

If you were all about winning, you wouldn't want to have young guys make mistakes that can cost you games, but maybe next year you let guys make mistakes and coach them to not make them again.

I just bet Eichel near the end of the year is heads about the Eichel that starts the year. I see him as a fast learner and a fast adapter who already has all the physical tools and skill for the NHL game.

I look to Edmonton as a * what not to do*, throw a bunch of #1 overall draft picks to the wolves nightly and hope they develop.   It's seems evident that a competent core of veterans to help acclimate a very young player with no pro hockey experience is a must. Maybe we are asking the wrong question of weather Jack or Sam is able to do it on their own, but rather, is the veteran core the Sabres have capable of bringing along 2 very young players ?

I look to Edmonton as a * what not to do*, throw a bunch of #1 overall draft picks to the wolves nightly and hope they develop.   It's seems evident that a competent core of veterans to help acclimate a very young player with no pro hockey experience is a must. Maybe we are asking the wrong question of weather Jack or Sam is able to do it on their own, but rather, is the veteran core the Sabres have capable of bringing along 2 very young players ?

Then let's hope that the core of veterans Murray has brought in (and some of the slightly older young guys) can do the job for Sam and Jack. Seriously... the first line looks pretty stacked with Kane and Ennis, with Kane providing a physical presence and Ennis showing how to avoid hits. Second line you can also put some protection on there in the form of Girgensons or maybe Foligno, and have a veteran like Moulson or Gionta. If things get crazy, break out Deslauriers; I don't think we could ask for a better bodyguard. His reputation around the league seems to be one of the guys you don't want to mess around with.

The problem with the Oilers, imo, isn't having the young guys; it's having too many players of the same type - scoring forwards. I think GMTM has addressed that with some of the big bodies on the team.

Exactly.

OK then.

Let me start of buy saying I agreed with you that Jack or Sam may be better of served by growing in Rochester or in college. I would not be upset if neither where playing in Buffalo, or where sent down. I also would love to seem them both up in the big club, but their surrounding team mates must be supportive of the growing pains.

I not sold that Kane is a good supporting team mate, to young, to *me first* type of attitude.

Gionta is obviously here for that role.

Moulson..yes, he's been there done that in NY.

Ennis is finally coming into his own, he may feel more help back, the big brother- little brother syndrome.

Marcus, he is a wild card, I can see him thriving in the big brother role. As long as he doesn't let another one of his* set up  a Sabre for an open ice crushing check* pass go.

Girgesons and Delauriers are just 1 full year into the league. A lot to ask of young players to be mentors, especially when Girgesons couldn't even make the full 82 games.

Weber, Bogo, and Gorges all great for their development in my opinion.

Hodgson....mmmm..could he be the sleeper. Great off season work out schedule. Old, but not crusty old. He could be the fuel that fires up a chemistry that we didn't know could happen. 

Again,  and I may be the only one, that would not go all bat poop crazy if after a few games the youngins are riding the bus. I waited 2 years to get my marshmallows, I might just toast them to get even more enjoyment. 

One big bodied scorer. One seasoned leader. Ok, it fits more now with that perspective. I'm not sure how I missed that one.

Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make. Good catch. Out of context it wouldn't make much sense.

And guys like Gionta will hopefully help Kane as much as the young(er) guys.