The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Which is? Maybe Mike came to his own conclusion after thinking about Brendan Shanahan as president in Toronto vs. who exactly in Buffalo? Senior advisor Craig Patrick — the Pegulas — Joe Battista — and...?

oh right, the Leafs are sooooooo much better than the Sabres. That's why he wanted to come to Buffalo.

What makes the Sabres the better franchise? Because they lost on purpose and the Leafs just lost? Mike Babcock is a coach looking for his next challenge in life. Turning around the Maple Leafs wouldn't just make him a regional hero like here in Buffalo, the man would become a national Canadian icon.

Trying to make this about Mike Babcock's wife is extremely petty and small time.

Wait, did I make it about his wife? Did he not say the family nixed Buffalo?

I'm not convinced any NHL coach these days is really "great".  I mean sure some are better than others but the difference between Babcock and the rest is minimal.  

I'm not going to look up your all posts, but were you making this same type of statement prior to Babcock giving Buffalo the middle finger?

Which is? Maybe Mike came to his own conclusion after thinking about Brendan Shanahan as president in Toronto vs. who exactly in Buffalo? Senior advisor Craig Patrick — the Pegulas — Joe Battista — and...?

Buffalo has 1 owner with a hodge podge of middle-men, Toronto has a board of directors, Shanahan, and likely as many or even more middle-men. Don't tell me Toronto doesn't have their own Battistas. The only reason we know more about Buffalo's structure is because we pay attention to Buffalo.

Not to mention for every dumb hockey reporter here, they have 10.

I honestly think it came down to his wife wanted to live in Toronto, he likely tried to convince her that Buffalo was very close by, but it wasn't enough to sway her.

Buffalo has 1 owner with a hodge podge of middle-men, Toronto has a board of directors, Shanahan, and likely as many or even more middle-men. Don't tell me Toronto doesn't have their own Battistas. The only reason we know more about Buffalo's structure is because we pay attention to Buffalo.

Not to mention for every dumb hockey reporter here, they have 10.

I honestly think it came down to his wife wanted to live in Toronto, he likely tried to convince her that Buffalo was very close by, but it wasn't enough to sway her.

I appreciate the comparison here. But just to clarify, there are no middle men between Pegula and Murray. I think Toronto though, as you imply, are gonna have several chefs in the kitchen before they sort it all out. 

GO SABRES!!!

It would make sense that Babs had comitted to Buffalo and when he wife couldn't be convinced that he went back to his friend Shanahan to bail him out so he didn;t have to go back to Detroit with his tail between his legs. I'm not sure we will ever hear the whole story but I can tell you that certain members of the Sabres' hierachy are not as forgiving as TM. Anyone who may have been out for lunch at the right place when the Babcock presser was on knows this all too well.

I appreciate the comparison here. But just to clarify, there are no middle men between Pegula and Murray.

Well then I guess that answers the first part.....

You said it yourself, you'd move "back." It's always an easier decision to come home. Babcock is not from Buffalo. If you had a choice between Calgary and New York City would you seriously move to Calgary? I doubt many WNYers, if any, would.  

To be angry with Mike Babcock or his family because they decided on Toronto over Buffalo is a waste of energy and really seems silly. It's time to put all this 

"whoa is us" BS behind us. It's not hard to understand why to Mike Babcock decided that Toronto is the greater challenge why his family would feel that Toronto as a city offers them more. What is there to mad about? 5 years ago I doubt Mike Babcock would give the Sabres anything more than a courtesy interview ala Mike Shanahan. The Sabres lost out to the greater challenge, no shame in that.

I certainly don't have a woe is me attitude. I live in NYC. I could easily say that it has way more to offer than Buffalo. I don't believe it does, though. It's the same chit everywhere. Now, if Mrs Babs and Babs himself said that they wanted to "go back home", then that's fine, but don't tell me it's because TO offers them something they couldn't get from Buffalo. That's why I think he is full of sh!t.

Well then I guess that answers the first part.....

Not at all. There may have been several pissed off members of the Sabres' hierarchy, perhaps all of them. My point is that Murray doesn't have to run anything up the flag pole for anyone other than Pegula, whom he directly reports to. 

GO SABRES!!!

Not at all. There may have been several pissed off members of the Sabres' hierarchy, perhaps all of them. My point is that Murray doesn't have to run anything up the flag pole for anyone other than Pegula, whom he directly reports to. 

GO SABRES!!!

They don't have a coach

Murray didn't care

Who is left to be eating a local lunch? Did Sawer and Patrick fly in for the Early Bird Tuna Salad Special?

It would make sense that Babs had comitted to Buffalo and when he wife couldn't be convinced that he went back to his friend Shanahan to bail him out so he didn;t have to go back to Detroit with his tail between his legs. I'm not sure we will ever hear the whole story but I can tell you that certain members of the Sabres' hierachy are not as forgiving as TM. Anyone who may have been out for lunch at the right place when the Babcock presser was on knows this all too well.

Or maybe he just prefers Toronto over Buffalo and nothing more. 

They don't have a coach

Murray didn't care

Who is left to be eating a local lunch? Did Sawer and Patrick fly in for the Early Bird Tuna Salad Special?

I am not following you at all here. 

Murray reports directly to Pegula. What does that have to do with Sabres brass being overheard at lunch to be pissed at the Babcock situation? I don't get the connection. 

GO SABRES!!!

From Jay McKee

@JayMcKee74: Dan Bylsma to meet with the Sabres. For what it's worth, I thought he was an exceptional coach. Loved going to the arena every day under him

I liked the response he gave when asked why

@JayMcKee74: @hariaczyi_trent

Great teacher / attention to detail / players coach but demands work ethic.

That's encouraging. I'd love to hear more from players who have played under Bylsma to get excited about him. It will be interesting to see how quickly they do make a decision.

I am not following you at all here. 

Murray reports directly to Pegula. What does that have to do with Sabres brass being overheard at lunch to be pissed at the Babcock situation? I don't get the connection. 

GO SABRES!!!

I'm just trying to figure out who the Sabres brass is......

Rip?

If I have to listen to a cackle of hens sqwak that Battista doesn't matter......then someone please tell me who the "Sabres Brass" is, other than Murray and Pegula?

I'm just trying to figure out who the Sabres brass is......

Rip?

If I have to listen to a cackle of hens sqwak that Battista doesn't matter......then someone please tell me who the "Sabres Brass" is, other than Murray and Pegula?

It's layers and layers of people don't you know? Battista? Bah! Pegula has men buried deep in the shadows doing his real dirty work. Battista is small potatoes.

I certainly don't have a woe is me attitude. I live in NYC. I could easily say that it has way more to offer than Buffalo. I don't believe it does, though. It's the same chit everywhere. Now, if Mrs Babs and Babs himself said that they wanted to "go back home", then that's fine, but don't tell me it's because TO offers them something they couldn't get from Buffalo. That's why I think he is full of sh!t.

Toronto offering more than a city like Buffalo is not even disputable. I live in and love the area, I'm not under any delusion that as a city Buffalo offers what one of the largest cities on the continent can, especially to a family with money. .    

Wait, did I make it about his wife? Did he not say the family nixed Buffalo?

You and others are seemingly trying to vilify Mike Babcock's wife and family because he decided on Toronto over Buffalo. It should be a non-issue.   

It's layers and layers of people don't you know? Battista? Bah! Pegula has men buried deep in the shadows doing his real dirty work. Battista is small potatoes.

This is what I'm talking about.

Murray was fine about it. Some of the other "Sabres Brass" was livid.

Who is the Sabres Brass?

They have no coaching staff....unless Irbe had a bottle of cheap Stoli at lunch and started pissing off the 2nd level of 716.

WHO IS THE SABRES BRASS OTHER THAN PEGULA AND MURRAY?????

That's all I'm asking if I am being asked to give the benefit of the doubt.

I suggested we move on from Babcock over 2 weeks ago and what his plan probably was. If the "Sabres Brass" was caught off guard by this, then maybe some of them shouldn't be the "Sabres Brass".

Might as well get this one going.

It's probably safe to say that Mike Babcock, whose contract status for next year is unresolved, is of interest to many Sabres fans and many NHL GMs alike.  GMTM has worked with Babcock in the past.

Who else is available and worth talking to?

Physics.....where ya been?

I feel bad. You did all the heavy lifting by starting this thread, but you haven't posted in over 2 weeks!!!!

I'm glad you at least have the time to visit often.....but it's not like you not to have an opinion.

Wait, so lets pretend all of the layers of players are identified and their roles detailed. Then what? Are you going to write some letters, or send some faxes? Are you going to put up a billboard?

What use other than fodder for more theories and complaints would this knowledge serve?

At least Don Quixote attacked the windmills and travelers once he thought they were a threat.

What if I told you there was no "Sabres brass" overheard at lunch and people just make stuff up to fill the holes in their posts?

Or, "Sabres Brass" is more often likely to be the guy who switches out the urinal cakes. I heard he was pissed about Babcock choosing the Leafs.  

It's amazing how myopic people get on these things.  I guess it's amazing.  I know "The Internet" but that shouldn't excuse it.

He's Canadian.  He had an opportunity to work in the CENTER of the HOCKEY UNIVERSE.  How does he not take it?

Win in Toronto and become a GOD to many in Canada.  Win in Buffalo and a city will worship you.  It's a no brainer.

The only problem is.. he has to get by the Sabres to win.  So, we'll always have that.