2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Average age of NCAA players is 23, avg age of freshman is +20.    Those aren't children.

He dropped out of high school to make $$$$$$ in Europe.

It shows you what he values most, and that's money.  

I see a lot of Johnny Manziel in him.  

Yes....yes. This, this I want to hear

And if he went to college and partied like a rock star you'd say the exact same thing.

His is doing the same thing, just minus the college part because he hasn't even finished High School. You don't think he's partying like a rock star in Europe, getting paid, playing pro with no curfews or any academic responsibilities?

At least if he were in college he would have a curfew, and need to make grades to stay eligible. He choose the easy way, that to me shows lack or character, lack of moral fiber. I see a lot of Alexandre Daigle in him.

When I look this guys off ice decision making, its just full of red flags.

His is doing the same thing, just minus the college part because he hasn't even finished High School. You don't think he's partying like a rock star in Europe, getting paid, playing pro with no curfews or any academic responsibilities?

At least if he were in college he would have a curfew, and need to make grades to stay eligible. He choose the easy way, that to me shows lack or character, lack of moral fiber. I see a lot of Alexandre Daigle in him.

I'm sorry, but this is absolute insanity. 

He is not partying like a rock star and putting up those kinds of numbers in a pro league. One just doesn't lend itself to the other.

Why the character assassination of an 18 year old kid? Not a good optic here. Full of red flags.

I think you are projecting.

Hard to live like a rock star when your Mom and sister live with you.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/13979392/nhl-family-support-key-top-prospect-auston-matthews

Ha!  Something, something, moral character, something.....

Just back form a great weekend where I saw the following potential 1st rounders play:   Windsor - Sergachev, Stanley, Brown Erie- DeBrincat,  London - Tkachuk, Jeolevi, Jones Sarnia - Chychrun and Kryou.

My two take-aways:

I now have Matthew Tkachuk written in ink as the 4th overall pick in this upcoming draft. He did it all, he was physical, he scored 3 goals, showed amazing hand-eye co-ordination on a tip in, and consistently drove the net. He battled all game long and skated effortlessly next to Marner.

Sergachev was physical, not as big as say Zadorov, but still lowered the hammer a few times. He drove possession into the offensive end on multiple occasions and has one hell of a shot from the point. Jeolevi played ok, definitely a smooth skater, but isnt physical. relies more on body positioning than out muscling his opponent.

You can see the size and power of Chychrun and set up  a one timer on a tee for Zacha for a nice PP goal. Battled hard vs Tkachuk when both were on the ice together. You can see why scouts love him by looking at him but Im still not 100% sold. DeBrincat, just knows where to go to score goals. He will be a very nice mid to late round 1st rounder for someone.

Just back form a great weekend where I saw the following potential 1st rounders play: Windsor - Sergachev, Stanley, Brown Erie- DeBrincat, London - Tkachuk, Jeolevi, Jones Sarnia - Chychrun and Kryou.

My two take-aways:

I now have Matthew Tkachuk written in ink as the 4th overall pick in this upcoming draft. He did it all, he was physical, he scored 3 goals, showed amazing hand-eye co-ordination on a tip in, and consistently drove the net. He battled all game long and skated effortlessly next to Marner.

Sergachev was physical, not as big as say Zadorov, but still lowered the hammer a few times. He drove possession into the offensive end on multiple occasions and has one hell of a shot from the point. Jeolevi played ok, definitely a smooth skater, but isnt physical. relies more on body positioning than out muscling his opponent.

You can see the size and power of Chychrun and set up a one timer on a tee for Zacha for a nice PP goal. Battled hard vs Tkachuk when both were on the ice together. You can see why scouts love him by looking at him but Im still not 100% sold. DeBrincat, just knows where to go to score goals. He will be a very nice mid to late round 1st rounder for someone.

This sounds like a very fun weekend

He is not partying like a rock star and putting up those kinds of numbers in a pro league. One just doesn't lend itself to the other.

Why the character assassination of an 18 year old kid? Not a good optic here. Full of red flags.

I've been around a while.   It's the little things one does or doesn't do off the ice that determine whether you'll quickly flame out or have a lengthy successful career in the NHL.

His decision not to finish High School and chase the money in Europe tells me what his values are.

Shows lack of character... when the going gets tough, he takes the path of least resistance.   

He dropped out of high school to make $$$$$$ in Europe.

It shows you what he values most, and that's money.  

I see a lot of Johnny Manziel in him.  

I've been around a while.   It's the little things one does or doesn't do off the ice that determine whether you'll quickly flame out or have a lengthy successful career in the NHL.

His decision not to finish High School and chase the money in Europe tells me what his values are.

Like our own resident PFTCommenter.

I've been around a while. It's the little things one does or doesn't do off the ice that determine whether you'll quickly flame out or have a lengthy successful career in the NHL.

Working out pretty well for Bryce Harper and Kobe Bryant

Working out pretty well for Bryce Harper and Kobe Bryant

And Kevin Garnett, and Lebron James, and Dwight Howard.  Just about every MLB player from the Caribbean didn't play college ball.  I suppose they are all without character for not attending college first.

And every kid that is drafted out of the CHL chose hockey development over education.

This is a really strange line of thought.  (man, I had to exhibit some self control to not word this more strongly) Every sport but the NFL has kids that chose to make money over getting an education.  What Matthews is doing is no different than the kid from northern Ontario picking up and moving to Barrie to improve his hockey game instead of focusing on education.  But noone questions the kid from Kapuskasing Ont.

Zemgus Girgensons has character issues.  He chose AHL over Vermont.  :rolleyes:

Edited by We've

You seem to be moving the goal posts here. First he was partying like a rock star. When that was refuted with knowledge that his mom and older sister are living with him in Switzerland, it's now a question of his "values". He was home-schooled, so you don't know if he satisfied his highschool requirements. There were also reports that he was taking extra classes to be eligible for one of the five colleges he had considered before deciding to turn pro. 

But still, so what if he decided that turning pro was his best option? You can't use that as a barometer of his character. It's asinine. Especially for someone who's "been around for a while." 

GO SABRES!!!

And how do you know which way Matthews will go?

I don't, nobody does.   What I'm saying is that I would not be surprised (based on his decision making thus far) if he was ultimately a bust.

If I'm the GM of the Sabres and I land the # 1 pick in the draft,  I'm going to exercise extreme caution and perform due diligence before selecting A. Matthews #1 overall.   

I'd bet anything Jack didn't go to college to learn

Jack could've chosen to go Europe to chase the $$$ after one season in the NTDP, but he choose to get his High School diploma and attended college.     It's a sign of character.   Sure he's not going to make a living based on what he "learned" in college, but it's a sign of character and what he values.    It was a dream of his to play college hockey, and make it to the NHL, he didn't give up on that dream because it was too much work to met the academic requirements to attend BU.    He put value on playing college hockey and succeeding in the NHL, not money.    That said, I don't expect his effort to drop off once he gets his max contract.

I don't know enough about Autson Matthews character to say what he values most, but the fact that he choose to earn a paycheck in EU (over juniors/college) makes me question his values.    What will he do when he's a pending UFA?   Is he a team first guy? Or will he follow the money?  Does he care about winning as much as he does about money?   What are his dreams?  To win a Cup?  Lead the NHL in scoring?   Or become a multi-millionaire?    What happens when he meets his financial goals?   Will there be a huge drop off in his performance?    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.