2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Which part? Taking Matthews or his ability to play wing? To both: some have mentioned taking other players ahead of him and some have said they would do so because we need wingers more than centers.

I don't think so. My guess is Matthews, actually. I've seen some places list him as C/LW.

Would give something like:

Matthews-Eichel

Kane-O'Reilly

???-Reinhart

To both I suppose. I had actually thought I saw Matthews playing wing last year, but I wasn't able to dig up the WJC lines from last year. I agree with pairing Eichel and Matthews if we were fortunate enough to get him though. Then Matthews can have a season like Panarin is having this year. 

I asked this question in yesterday's game thread (and I'm not interested in reading 12 pages of comments so I apologize if it's already been discussed), if Buffalo wins the lottery, do they take Matthews or one of the Finns. I personally would take Laine for reasons mentioned above on his ability to finish and the Sabres lack of talents wingers. I don't get the post referring to Matthews as a "Manziel" like character. I have no issues with Matthews going to play hockey in the Swiss league. He knows he's making a living playing hockey, why f*ck around with college and have to take meanness classes or go to OHL and have to play against boys. The ideal scenario would be Buffalo with the #1 pick and AZ at #2. TM could potentially get an asset from AZ and trade down a spot perhaps package someone not in our long term plan for OEL. It's a wet dream but that's what this thread is about.

Here is the quote  from the Bob McKenzie Mid Term Rankings in response to the question if Matthews was a slam dunk at #1:

“Had to think long and hard about it,” said another scout. “Laine is right there. In the end, we favoured the centre over the winger but I don’t think it’s a reach at all to see Laine going first overall. A lot of our European scouts who see these guys think Laine is better.”

I understand that Matthews would be great for marketing in Arizona but so is winning and I don't think OEM and #2 for the #1 pick is reasonable from a hockey standpoint. If the unlikely event Buffalo has #1 pick and Arizona is slotted #2.

If I have Matthews v Laine as being close then Im taking the one who will be the better winger. I would think that leans me to Laine but Matthews is rated highly for both his hockey smarts and his shot so he could make one hell of a winger as well.

Edited by Crusader1969

You take Matthews if you win the lottery. As does every single scout that was polled by Bob McKenzie. He can play wing if you really want him to or if he fits there better.

This really does make the most sense. Take the generational talent and worry about fits later on. But Murray at least has to entertain a substantial offer, no?

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

Has anyone here said otherwise?

I would trade down if it brought me a goal scoring winger and a #2 defenceman.

Matthews is not much better than the Finns.

I would wager they move Sam for a top young D man.

This is interesting. We know that two years ago Murray wouldn't have traded him for Ekblad.

I don't think Sam is going anywhere.

Is everyone convinced Matthews is better than Reinhart?

This is interesting. We know that two years ago Murray wouldn't have traded him for Ekblad.

Hands down he is

Alright, the draft lottery just ended. The Sabres are slotted somewhere between 4 and 6. The general consensus has become that Matthews, Laine and Puljujarvi will be the top three picks and the only players who will step into the NHL immediately.

Question is, if you're Murray: do you trade up and what do you give?

It wouldn't be a steep drop for anybody and there's definitely talent in the 4-6 slots. So maybe you're jumping from 5 to 2 by using a second (hopefully you have an extra after the deadline) and Ennis?

If we can grab Puljujarvi or Laine by adding a depth player and a pick, I think Murray would do it. I would be okay with that too, but I am a big fan of the idea of drafting Chychrun. I think a top pair LHD is our biggest need, so I would be ecstatic drafting him 4th. I'm torn as to whether I want one of the Fins, or Chychrun, if we aren't getting Matthews. Matthews can play wing, and so can Reinhart. Matthews is the pick if we are 1st overall, and it's a no-brainer I think.

Matthews - Eichel - Reinhart - sign me up.

Also, if we are picking 4th, there is a really good chance IMO that one of the Fins is still there. If Edmonton is picking 2nd or 3rd, I think they take Chychrun. So we could get Laine or Puljujarvi drafting 4th.

Sabres have greatest percentage chance for picking in top 3. 40% chance we will be drafting Matthews, Laine or Puljujarvi as of today.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ca3yW2-W8AAsgza.png:large

Why do we have the highest odds? The link says we do, but we have better points percentages than both Columbus and Edmonton right now, and are ahead in the standings.

I'll preface this all by saying I am very high on Sam. I think Matthews is definitely more talented. But Reinhart to me is on a Toews-like trajectory. There were comparisons between the two in Sam's draft year. Toews is less "talented" than quite a few players in this league, but is still considered to be one of the very best. I can see Reinhart being a similar player, where he doesn't put up Matthews numbers, but could become a player some see as more valuable.

Purely as a prospect I think Matthews is a somewhat significant step ahead of the Laine and Puljujarvi. But I still might make the deal you mentioned if it's down to 2/3.

Reinhart doesn't compare to Matthews, again speaking purely about them as prospects. And Reinhart is playing about where his prospect projection and draft slot had him.

Purely as a prospect I think Matthews is a somewhat significant step ahead of the Laine and Puljujarvi. But I still might make the deal you mentioned if it's down to 2/3.

Reinhart doesn't compare to Matthews, again speaking purely about them as prospects. And Reinhart is playing about where his prospect projection and draft slot had him.

You mean for this stage in his development, correct? He wasn't projected to be a 39 point player once fully developed.

Mhm.

I assumed so, but I'm having one of those days where my brain feels like it's moving in slow motion. :wacko:

Anyways, getting Matthews would be a great thing and with his, Sam's, and ROR's ability to play wing, we can clearly find a place for all of them, along with of course Jack. But it would take up a lot of cap down the line, so I am still of the opinion that with several promising young forwards in the system, getting a guy like Chychrun could help spread some of our wealth to the blue line. We may be better off in the long term adding a top D rather than a forward.

I'm venturing into waters best navigated by "the learned", but your question resonated with me. I watch a lot of the WJC, but don't see much CHL or Swiss league action, so my sample size is small. I was as/more impressed by Sam than by Matthews. Different years, different teams. I don't have a conclusion, but I've considered the same question.

The answer is even murkier as fans come to understand Sam's game and contribution. I have. He's not shiney and sparkly. He's quietly excellent - could be brilliant.

Edited by N'eo

So EDM would need to send more assets to ARI to even it out? Or vice-versa? I don't have a good feel for what to expect from Matthews.

Arizona would have to add something.  What that something is depends heavily on where Arizona picks in the first round.

I'm venturing into waters best navigated by "the learned", but your question resonated with me. I watch a lot of the WJC, but don't see much CHL or Swiss league action, so my sample size is small. I was as/more impressed by Sam than by Matthews. Different years, different teams. I don't have a conclusion, but I've considered the same question.

The answer is even murkier as fans come to understand Sam's game and contribution. I have. He's not shiney and sparkly. He's quietly excellent - could be brilliant.

Same sample size, same conclusions for me.

I think Austen is more talented than Sam but he hasn't been a better player in my viewings.

Plenty of guys are more talented than Patrice Bergeron.

Saying you wouldn't give anything and just sit at 4/5/6 is also a fair answer. It might be mine depending on what the price to get to 2/3 is. If it's anything more than a 2nd and a player who doesn't appear to be in the long term plans then I stay put.

Good, because that's my answer. While is of course prefer Matthews or a Finnish winger, as long as I can get Tkachuk, Juolevi or Chychrun, I'm happy.

I'm torn as to whether I want one of the Fins, or Chychrun, if we aren't getting Matthews.

Also, if we are picking 4th, there is a really good chance IMO that one of the Fins is still there. If Edmonton is picking 2nd or 3rd, I think they take Chychrun. So we could get Laine or Puljujarvi drafting 4th.

Why do we have the highest odds? The link says we do, but we have better points percentages than both Columbus and Edmonton right now, and are ahead in the standings.

I think as of right now the Fins have way too much upside to be in the discussion of taking Chychrun ahead of them.  I think there's also very little chance Edmonton takes him in the top 3.  Edmonton may look at trading down but I doubt they reach for him there. 

Two years ago we were thrilled to get Sam because we had good D prospects and zero C depth.  Less than 2 years later our needs have completely swaped.  In 2 more years they will swap again.  That's why you take BPA and figure out the rest via trade or the free agent market.

Good, because that's my answer. While is of course prefer Matthews or a Finnish winger, as long as I can get Tkachuk, Juolevi or Chychrun, I'm happy.

This is also where I'm at.  A top 7 pick and I'm happy no matter which one we take.

Edit - For me Nylander also belongs in the list of guys I'll be happy with.

Edited by Derrico

Here is a blog that i came across last night from OHL prospects.  

They are coming out with an update in their rankings this weekend and teased it by saying that Sergachev is moving up. As an added bonus he is a LHD. its great for comparisons that the top 3 D in the draft all play in the OHL.

Chychrun is the best skater, Juolevi may have the best hockey sense while Sergachev is the hammer. 

5. Mikhail Sergachev - Defence - Windsor Spitfires
Came to Windsor with a ton of hype and has lived up to all of it. One of the main reasons why the Spitfires are currently leading the West Division. Sergachev has stabilized a defensive unit that had major struggles last year. He's certainly a potential first pairing defender who is the complete package. 6'3, 200+lbs, but moves very well and is not afraid of using his size to play physical in the defensive end. Offensively, he seems to get better and more confident every game. He's now creating a least one good chance a game by going end to end and flashes terrific hands in the open ice. Most impressive IMO, has been how well he's run the point on the powerplay. Makes very good decisions with the puck and is excellent at creating shooting lanes to get his hard slapper to the net. Honestly, at this point, the top 5 as I have it, has really started to separate themselves from the others in this OHL class. All 5 look like top 10 picks come June. 

Here is a blog that i came across last night from OHL prospects.  

They are coming out with an update in their rankings this weekend and teased it by saying that Sergachev is moving up. As an added bonus he is a LHD. its great for comparisons that the top 3 D in the draft all play in the OHL.

Chychrun is the best skater, Juolevi may have the best hockey sense while Sergachev is the hammer. 

5. Mikhail Sergachev - Defence - Windsor Spitfires

Came to Windsor with a ton of hype and has lived up to all of it. One of the main reasons why the Spitfires are currently leading the West Division. Sergachev has stabilized a defensive unit that had major struggles last year. He's certainly a potential first pairing defender who is the complete package. 6'3, 200+lbs, but moves very well and is not afraid of using his size to play physical in the defensive end. Offensively, he seems to get better and more confident every game. He's now creating a least one good chance a game by going end to end and flashes terrific hands in the open ice. Most impressive IMO, has been how well he's run the point on the powerplay. Makes very good decisions with the puck and is excellent at creating shooting lanes to get his hard slapper to the net. Honestly, at this point, the top 5 as I have it, has really started to separate themselves from the others in this OHL class. All 5 look like top 10 picks come June. 

I like the sound of him but I usually skip right over Russian born players with the assumption Murray will never draft one.

thats a big assumption. I know they had issues with Zadorov but to completely bypass a guy because of where he was born would be a mistake IMO

I'm not disagreeing.  But thought I read somewhere that Murray has never drafted a Russian player (while in Anaheim or Ott).  Could be wrong on that though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.