2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

I think Laine's shot is the best shot to get drafted since Stamkos, and Puljujarvi's lack of finish bothers me a little, relative to Laine's. I'd obviously still love either but I'd take Laine at 2 if we picked there.

Either will do fine, Laine you can pair up with reinhart, Puljujarvi would be a fit for Eichel.

Alright, the draft lottery just ended. The Sabres are slotted somewhere between 4 and 6. The general consensus has become that Matthews, Laine and Puljujarvi will be the top three picks and the only players who will step into the NHL immediately.

Question is, if you're Murray: do you trade up and what do you give?

It wouldn't be a steep drop for anybody and there's definitely talent in the 4-6 slots. So maybe you're jumping from 5 to 2 by using a second (hopefully you have an extra after the deadline) and Ennis?

Alright, the draft lottery just ended. The Sabres are slotted somewhere between 4 and 6. The general consensus has become that Matthews, Laine and Puljujarvi will be the top three picks and the only players who will step into the NHL immediately.

It wouldn't be a steep drop for anybody and there's definitely talent in the 4-6 slots. So maybe you're jumping from 5 to 2 by using a second (hopefully you have an extra after the deadline) and Ennis?

I think it's going to take more then that Hoss.

To me there is a small drop between 1 and 2-3, a decent drop between 2-3 and 4-7, another decent drop to 8-10. 

If we win the lottery to pick 2nd then I wouldn't be thrilled with Murray trading down to 5 and receiving a 2nd round pick and a player equivalent to Ennis.

Edited by Derrico

So then what do you propose? That was the purpose of the question.

I aimed low to start a conversation.

Oh God, it's a good question but I'm not sure what it would take.  If I dropped from 2 to 5 I would want atleast the other teams 2016 2nd, a 2017 1st (potentially lottery protected) and a decent roster player or prospect.

Maybe if you added a lottery protected 2017 1st rounder I would consider your original deal.

If the Sabres are slotted 4 they happily draft Tkachuk and he eventually becomes the best power forward the Sabres have had in 25 years.

Draft 5 - they draft Chychrun and eventually him and Risto become one of the best top pair of Dmen in the league.

Draft 6 and its gets more interesting. I'm a big fan of Dubois from Cape Breton 6'3 200lb winger who has 30G and 72P in 50 games. Though, I could be talked into looking at the younger Nylander. 

Though, If I  draft 5 or 6 and can trade McGinn for a low first rounder, I would happily trade it along with Ennis and the 5-6 pick to get Laine. Doubt it is enough though to get it done.

Edited by Crusader1969

I was talking with an Edmonton fan pal of mine today. He said the radio guys up there have been talking about what EDM would do if Matthews fell in their lap. They obviously need D, not forwards. Arizona, even more than everyone else, would love to have Matthews (home town boy would mean extra fans), and he'd probably be happy playing at home on an up and coming team. So the question is: if EDM gets Matthews, would it be an even trade to ship him to ARI for Oliver Ekman-Larsson?

I was talking with an Edmonton fan pal of mine today. He said the radio guys up there have been talking about what EDM would do if Matthews fell in their lap. They obviously need D, not forwards. Arizona, even more than everyone else, would love to have Matthews (home town boy would mean extra fans), and he'd probably be happy playing at home on an up and coming team. So the question is: if EDM gets Matthews, would it be an even trade to ship him to ARI for Oliver Ekman-Larsson?

It wouldn't be an even trade, no, but there might be a way to balance it out.

I've said this before, but IMO no chance Zona trades OEL, even for Matthews. The rest of their blue line is garbage behind him. He's a top 10 defenseman in the league. 

It may be a bad hockey decision but I could see the upside from a business pov.  Struggling franchise would get an attendance boost and a general buzz.  When Risto was showing signs of what he is becoming, it didn't generate nearly the juice of drafting Jack or Sam for that matter.

It may be a bad hockey decision but I could see the upside from a business pov.  Struggling franchise would get an attendance boost and a general buzz.  When Risto was showing signs of what he is becoming, it didn't generate nearly the juice of drafting Jack or Sam for that matter.

It could work if they had some level of competent defending after OEL, but they really don't. Their pipeline doesn't offer much on the back end, either. Zona would absolutely love to get their hands on Matthews I'm sure, but not at the cost of OEL. If they were picking 2nd or 3rd, I have no doubt that they'd at least make a phone call to see what it would take to add to that and move up to 1st.

FTR, if Buffalo picks 1st and Arizona picks 2nd or 3rd, I'd be very interested in seeing what they'd have to offer.

I think Arizona trades OEL in a heartbeat if it means Matthews. He's on Eichel's level. He looks like a star and is from Arizona. They haven't had an offensive player like him in ages.

Then, if Arizona is smart, they would trade their own first rounder for another NHL defenseman.

I think Arizona trades OEL in a heartbeat if it means Matthews. He's on Eichel's level. He looks like a star and is from Arizona. They haven't had an offensive player like him in ages.

Then, if Arizona is smart, they would trade their own first rounder for another NHL defenseman.

Who else does AZ package with OEL for Matthews?

GO SABRES!!!

I asked this question in yesterday's game thread (and I'm not interested in reading 12 pages of comments so I apologize if it's already been discussed), if Buffalo wins the lottery, do they take Matthews or one of the Finns. I personally would take Laine for reasons mentioned above on his ability to finish and the Sabres lack of talents wingers. I don't get the post referring to Matthews as a "Manziel" like character. I have no issues with Matthews going to play hockey in the Swiss league. He knows he's making a living playing hockey, why f*ck around with college and have to take meanness classes or go to OHL and have to play against boys. The ideal scenario would be Buffalo with the #1 pick and AZ at #2. TM could potentially get an asset from AZ and trade down a spot perhaps package someone not in our long term plan for OEL. It's a wet dream but that's what this thread is about.

I asked this question in yesterday's game thread (and I'm not interested in reading 12 pages of comments so I apologize if it's already been discussed), if Buffalo wins the lottery, do they take Matthews or one of the Finns. I personally would take Laine for reasons mentioned above on his ability to finish and the Sabres lack of talents wingers. I don't get the post referring to Matthews as a "Manziel" like character. I have no issues with Matthews going to play hockey in the Swiss league. He knows he's making a living playing hockey, why f*ck around with college and have to take meanness classes or go to OHL and have to play against boys. The ideal scenario would be Buffalo with the #1 pick and AZ at #2. TM could potentially get an asset from AZ and trade down a spot perhaps package someone not in our long term plan for OEL. It's a wet dream but that's what this thread is about.

Arizona's 1st (Laine) and OEL for our 1st (Matthews) and McCabe?

I'm fine with that, but I'm high on OEL and I think the difference between Matthews and Laine will be bigger than most here. 

Has anyone here said otherwise?

Which part? Taking Matthews or his ability to play wing? To both: some have mentioned taking other players ahead of him and some have said they would do so because we need wingers more than centers.

I wonder who plays wing, Jack or Matthews, or maybe even Reinhart. Something tells me it's Jack

I don't think so. My guess is Matthews, actually. I've seen some places list him as C/LW.

Would give something like:

Matthews-Eichel

Kane-O'Reilly

???-Reinhart

I wonder who plays wing, Jack or Matthews, or maybe even Reinhart. Something tells me it's Jack

I would wager they move Sam for a top young D man. Eichel will never be on the wing imho. I don't like the idea of Sam on the wing, he is a natural pivot. Would be an interesting problem to have.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.