2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

I don't, nobody does.   What I'm saying is that I would not be surprised (based on his decision making thus far) if he was ultimately a bust.

If I'm the GM of the Sabres and I land the # 1 pick in the draft,  I'm going to exercise extreme caution and perform due diligence before selecting A. Matthews #1 overall.   

Jack could've chosen to go Europe to chase the $$$ after one season in the NTDP, but he choose to get his High School diploma and attended college.     It's a sign of character.   Sure he's not going to make a living based on what he "learned" in college, but it's a sign of character and what he values.    It was a dream of his to play college hockey, and make it to the NHL, he didn't give up on that dream because it was too much work to met the academic requirements to attend BU.    He put value on playing college hockey and succeeding in the NHL, not money.    That said, I don't expect his effort to drop off once he gets his max contract.

I don't know enough about Autson Matthews character to say what he values most, but the fact that he choose to earn a paycheck in EU (over juniors/college) makes me question his values.    What will he do when he's a pending UFA?   Is he a team first guy? Or will he follow the money?  Does he care about winning as much as he does about money?   What are his dreams?  To win a Cup?  Lead the NHL in scoring?   Or become a multi-millionaire?    What happens when he meets his financial goals?   Will there be a huge drop off in his performance?    

Did you question Girgensons character and what he values when he went from NTDP and USHL to turn pro instead of attending college?  If not, what is the difference?

Sorry, if they are the exceptions, where are the guys that prove the rule?

Nobody remembers their names.

Did you question Girgensons character and what he values when he went from NTDP and USHL to turn pro instead of attending college?  If not, what is the difference?

He's Latvian.

Nothing on every Canadian junior player choosing money over educational opportunity? 

They get an education while on their junior teams. 

What about every NFL player that goes Ito the draft before finishing college?

They have their high school diplomas.

Interesting. I thought Laine was the better player in the WJC, but I've read a lot that seemed to suggest Puljujarvi has had a better season.

Personally, I think either of the Finns is a better fit for us than Matthews. If we somehow won the lottery, I'd be happy to trade down.

Nobody remembers their names.

Like Patrick Kane?

Sorry, another exception?

Edited by dudacek

Interesting. I thought Laine was the better player in the WJC, but I've read a lot that seemed to suggest Puljujarvi has had a better season.

Personally, I think either of the Finns is a better fit for us than Matthews. If we somehow won the lottery, I'd be happy to trade down

I wonder how much we'd get in moving down 1 spot. It'd take a lot for me to turn down Matthews

Personally, I think either of the Finns is a better fit for us than Matthews. If we somehow won the lottery, I'd be happy to trade down.

Like Patrick Kane?

Sorry, another exception?

Kane?  He has his HSED.

Only until high school.  No different than Matthews situation.

In order to attend college last fall, Matthews would've need to accelerate his studies to earn the academic requirements necessary to attend college.     He choose to go play in Europe instead.

I think at this point it would be a shock not to be picking in the top 10.

Looks like we'll have no issues at all adding a puck-moving defenceman or a top-six winger.

Like the looks of this group.

Edited by dudacek

They noted on the broadcast that both Bean (whom I've only seen in the prospect game) and Sergachev not only have the potential to move into the top 10 but also to overtake Chychrun and Juolevi as the top Dman to be taken in Buffalo come June.

They also said that 5 out of 10 scouts have Matthews cemented into the #1 spot regardless of Peter Pucks smear campaign.

the other 5 say the only player to have a shot to overtake him is, my personal fav, Laine. Of course, he is playing pro hockey at an early age and didn't go to college either. So I guess I'll have to re-think my position.

Now I guess I have to think about Tkachuk, who I said earlier today was inked in as my 4th overall prospect, because he de-committed from going to Notre Dame in order to join the London Knights of the CHL. Obviously there could be character issues and red flags that need to be investigated furtehr.

Kane?  He has his HSED.

In order to attend college last fall, Matthews would've need to accelerate his studies to earn the academic requirements necessary to attend college.     He choose to go play in Europe instead.

Except that he did accelerate his class load to meet the requirements if he chose to attend college instead. Looks like the kid was ensuring his options. 

So, what aspect of his character can we attack now? He didn't help his dad mow the lawn often enough?

A high school junior who is home schooled, Matthews is taking an accelerated course load so he can enroll in college next fall, if he decides to play N.C.A.A. Division I hockey. The Western Hockey League team in Everett, Wash., holds his rights if he opts for major junior competition instead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/27/sports/though-ice-is-in-short-supply-arizona-warms-up-to-hockey.html

Except that he did accelerate his class load to meet the requirements if he chose to attend college instead. Looks like the kid was ensuring his options. 

So, what aspect of his character can we attack now? He didn't help his dad mow the lawn often enough?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/27/sports/though-ice-is-in-short-supply-arizona-warms-up-to-hockey.html

No, he did not accelerate his studies to met the requirements to attend college.   

No, he did not accelerate his studies to met the requirements to attend college.   

The NY Times article I linked says you're wrong. And there are others alluding to the same thing. 

But that's beside the point, anyway. For whatever reason, you are intent on impugning the character of an 18 year old kid who, along with his entire family and coaches, made decisions they thought best. Manly. 

GO SABRES!!!

OK, this article indicates that Matthews didn't accelerate his studies to become NCAA eligible.  It does NOT indicate that Matthews doesn't have at least a GED, as Pi suggests. http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25262727/auston-matthews-top-nhl-draft-prospect-signs-pro-deal-in-switzerland

None of the body of the article comes close to suggesting that Matthews went overseas prior to finishing high school requirements.  And none of it suggests that the move to Switzerland might be a sign of character issues.

For Matthews, the benefits of going to Switzerland are many.

First and foremost, this is a development decision. Matthews comes in at 6-foot-2, 210 pounds. He could have been drafted this year if he was born two days earlier and probably would have been one of the top-three picks, with some suggesting he could've given Jack Eichel a run for his money at No. 2.

Having already spent two years playing U20 hockey while in Ann Arbor, he's played against his peers long enough to know he's on a different level. Sure, juniors was good enough for Connor McDavid, but anyone that saw McDavid knew that he was just toying with the age level.

By going to Switzerland, Matthews will be playing against not only grown men, but seasoned professionals. Even if the Swiss pro league is not the highest-level, it is very good hockey that should challenge Matthews enough.

Another big-time factor is the game schedule in Switzerland. It is kind of like a hybrid between NCAA and WHL seasons, where it's more games than college and fewer than major junior. He'll play around 50-plus games in the regular season with a lighter travel schedule. That will allow more time for practices, off-ice training and lifting to continue getting bigger and stronger.

Working out pretty well for Bryce Harper and Kobe Bryant

Bryce Harper and Auston Matthews' circumstances couldn't be further apart. Harper got his GED early so he could play college ball early and be eligible for the MLB draft sooner

Edited by IrwinNelson

How is playing in a league that is closest to your level NOT an "education"?

I wonder how pi feels about those who learn a trade instead of going to college? I wonder how he feels about artists who study at an art academy instead of in college.

What about those who choose to enter the military out of high school rather than go to college? Are all of these people lacking character?

College, on retrospect, was a waste of time for me. I should have went to a trade school.

If all one wants to do is play hockey, then you do yourself the best service by committing to it and placing yourself in situations where you will grow as a player and develop a network. Matthews is doing just that. Seems like a dedicated, courageous character to me.

How is playing in a league that is closest to your level NOT an "education"?

I wonder how pi feels about those who learn a trade instead of going to college? I wonder how he feels about artists who study at an art academy instead of in college.

What about those who choose to enter the military out of high school rather than go to college? Are all of these people lacking character?

College, on retrospect, was a waste of time for me. I should have went to a trade school.

If all one wants to do is play hockey, then you do yourself the best service by committing to it and placing yourself in situations where you will grow as a player and develop a network. Matthews is doing just that. Seems like a dedicated, courageous character to me.

Perfectly said.

I think Pi was referring to not finishing something. That's how I took it. For the record, I'm not in the debate. This is a public service attempt to bridge understandings. Carry on.

I can't find anything that suggests he didn't finish his high school requirements.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.