Dunleavy; revisiting the Succession Plan

PASabreFan

Put him back between the benches for the occasional quip. He was good at that.

That's where he is for home games, already. Yeah?

Maybe that's the route they'll go. Get a formal colour guy in the booth (Biron would be a logical choice), and let Rob chime in from between the benches.

I like Rob Ray, but anyone on that broadcast team can make room for Marty to come back

Not to pick on you, but where does all this universal Marty love come from? Dude makes my ears bleed. He's like the precocious toddler who talks at an early age and his parents think he's cute and he won't shut up and it's so annoying and...

When I was a young kid (7/8ish), the Sabres were holding a practice at the Pepsi Center while I had a game. Once the game finished, I took the elevator up to the second floor to watch the practice. As I was stepping off of the elevator, Rob Ray rudely tried to get on and then made a comment about my lack of manners for not moving out of his way. Ever since then, Rob Ray has been my absolute least favorite Sabre. I'd love nothing more than him to be off of the broadcast team and shipped to Ottawa again.

Everyone knows the person coming off has the right of way, Rob.

Not to pick on you, but where does all this universal Marty love come from? Dude makes my ears bleed. He's like the precocious toddler who talks at an early age and his parents think he's cute and he won't shut up and it's so annoying and...

He's funny, smart, and loves the area, its a slamdunk. If you haven't listened to him in a while find one of his interview on WGR with the morning show guys from the last couple months, he's not as rambly (definitely not a word) as he was when he was a player. Back then I really just thought of him as funny (for the reasons you find him to be annoying, which is understandable), but he's actually pretty insightful. I think some of the time he's spent at TSN has helped him.

EDIT: Here's a fairly recent one: http://media.wgr550.com/a/110755160/1105-marty-biron-talks-sabres.htm?q=biron

Edited by sabills

When I was a young kid (7/8ish), the Sabres were holding a practice at the Pepsi Center while I had a game. Once the game finished, I took the elevator up to the second floor to watch the practice. As I was stepping off of the elevator, Rob Ray rudely tried to get on and then made a comment about my lack of manners for not moving out of his way. Ever since then, Rob Ray has been my absolute least favorite Sabre. I'd love nothing more than him to be off of the broadcast team and shipped to Ottawa again.

Everyone knows the person coming off has the right of way, Rob.

This is amazing. Hahahaha

No offense taken. The times I've been able to catch him on tv, he's come off as very charismatic and engaging, plus the guy knows his stuff. His voice is annoying, but it's hard to beat that combination as a color guy

Last night Rick and Rob mentioned that Marty Biron will join the broadcast on Thursday. Rob said to Rick that he already has two people angling for his job, and now Marty joins the mix. A joke, but sometimes there's truth in a joke. So Brian Duff is now in the mix along with Dan? We never did get a good reason for Duff's call of recent game in Florida. A tryout? (If it was, it should be his last tryout. He was awful.)

I'd love to know if Hoss' information is that Duff is the one who said he was ready to go to Rick about the Yeichel abomination.

And on top of this, while joking about the misspelling of Niemi on his jersey — NIEME — Rob said there's no I in team, or something to that effect, and Rick came back with a crack about how people who work in the broadcasting business are often all about themselves, but of course not in Buffalo. The laugh that followed was quite sarcastic, IMHO.

You just get this feeling that with the arrival of Russ Brandon, there's all this intrigue bubbling below the surface in the broadcast situation.

Intrigue! Patricide! Cool!

Interesting perspective, I didn't think about it that deeply at the time. 

-------- separate post, sighhhhhh..... Damn you post merging-----------

Who says we need to get rid of Rob? Why can't they just do it like most other teams and have color guy up top with RJ AND have an on ice reporter? I swear if the Panthers didn't have Moller to interrupt Potvin during the games I'd rip my ears off. Sometimes one more helps to break the monotony. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I share that perspective, but am open to what is apparently the newer, more focused Marty.

Rob Ray can gtfo if Marty is an option.

You hurt me, d4rk. You hurt me real bad.

Interesting perspective, I didn't think about it that deeply at the time. 

-------- separate post, sighhhhhh..... Damn you post merging-----------

Who says we need to get rid of Rob? Why can't they just do it like most other teams and have color guy up top with RJ AND have an on ice reporter? I swear if the Panthers didn't have Moller to interrupt Potvin during the games I'd rip my ears off. Sometimes one more helps to break the monotony. 

I'd be all for a three man team as long as Rob is the guy between the benches providing the one-off comments. He was at his best overhearing on ice comments and covering his mic to protect our virgin ears from Lindy tirades.

Rob's a bit out of depth providing analysis on the whys of developing plays.

I'd be all for a three man team as long as Rob is the guy between the benches providing the one-off comments. He was at his best overhearing on ice comments and covering his mic to protect our virgin ears from Lindy tirades.

Rob's a bit out of depth providing analysis on the whys of developing plays.

Yup, I'm fine with all that.

Yup, I'm fine with all that.

I don't blame him for all of it. He only has gut feeling and ex-player perspective between the benches. The Stars game is probably the first game I've seen where he has stats, real live up to the moment stats and they are on a piece of paper.  How much color and review of plays can he have?

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.