2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

Think hodgson will get bought out and murray is just seeing if he can get a trade done but most likely not.

I don't get why some teams wouldn't trade for Hodgson. Yes we know his defensive shortcoming and his big contract. The guy is still young and working on his skating. Guy has some talent as we all seen it. I'm willing to let him play it out and if he fails then move him. It's a totally different team right now. If they do move him I'm sure he's got some trade value. Let's face it we got a lot better this offseason but our depth on wing and defense needs to be addressed at some point.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

I don't get why some teams wouldn't trade for Hodgson. Yes we know his defensive shortcoming and his big contract. The guy is still young and working on his skating. Guy has some talent as we all seen it. I'm willing to let him play it out and if he fails then move him. It's a totally different team right now. If they do move him I'm sure he's got some trade value. Let's face it we got a lot better this offseason but our depth on wing and defense needs to be addressed at some point.

Hodgson will either be dealt or bought out. Teams know Buffalo now has great depth at center. Probably know if they wait Hodgson will be bought out. They can then pick him up for a reasonable price and not give up a draft pick or prospect for him. However, by waiting a team would get into a bid war for Hodgson, but give me a break. It's not going to take much to land the guy. Hodgson needs change to return to his former level of play. There is now no room for Hodgson on the Sabres. 

Edited by Thanes16

It should be interesting to see who Murray targets in free agency. Just the thought of O'Reilly and Grigs two way game should be exciting to see. Want to see Ennis with guys that can create room by themselves now which I believe makes Ennis more dangerous. Already planning my trip to Arizona, Anaheim and Los Angeles as this team should be pretty solid.

The biggest question for me is whether or not Larsson will be comfortable playing on the 4th line. Last year there was some sort of "falling out" with Nolan about the minutes/opportunities he was given and he did put up some decent numbers at the end of the season. Now that we have a new coaching regine will he accept being pushed down the depth chart to the 4th line or is something else going to be in play for him?

If he plays well enough he'll get more ice time. It's a long season, lines will change, injuries, slumping players.....this team may finally be building quality depth.

I think it gets way too much play from the media and fans, but I'm having trouble being productive elsewhere, so anyone want to talk captaincy? Is it safe to assume that Gionta is going to keep the C? I think that's likely the case, but I think we're looking at either a new group of As or home/away split on that front. My early money:

C - Gionta

A - O'Reilly (I bet nobody saw that one coming)

A - Girgensons (if not now, when?)

Why trade for him when you can just sign him post-buyout?

After yesterday, chances of Hodgson being a Sabre after June 30 are slim to none.

If he is traded it will be tied to a cap dump or a bigger deal.

I don't see the captaincy changing at all until the three current guys are gone.

O'Reilly, Zemgus, Eichel and Rienhart will step up when their turns arrive.

One more thought the McGinn addition:

I think it will slam the door on any chance of Patrick Kaleta returning.

He's not as agitating, but he does pretty much everything else Patty does, except better.

Given his tendencies in Pittsburgh, I think Bylsma will use McGinn a lot.

I think it gets way too much play from the media and fans, but I'm having trouble being productive elsewhere, so anyone want to talk captaincy? Is it safe to assume that Gionta is going to keep the C? I think that's likely the case, but I think we're looking at either a new group of As or home/away split on that front. My early money:

C - Gionta

A - O'Reilly (I bet nobody saw that one coming)

A - Girgensons (if not now, when?)

I'd bet Gionta keeps his C, it'd be a pretty tumultuous way to start the season if he stripped it from him.

C- Gionta

A- Ennis

A- O'Reilly

My new projection:

Kane - O'Reilly - Ennis

Moulson - Eichel - Reinhart

McGinn - Girgensons - Gionta

Foligno - Larsson - Legwand/Deslauriers

UFA - Ristolainen

Gorges - Bogosian

McCabe - Pysyk

Lehner

Johnson/UFA

The UFA dmen candidates would be Francois Beauchemin, Barret Jackman, Paul Martin, Johnny Oduya, Andrej Sekera. Trades are an option here, too. I think they'll look at long-term top-four options first dangling guys like Foligno, McGinn and Larsson.

The UFA goalie candidates would be guys like Ramo, Greiss, this year's crop of Sabres. I think Johnson just finishes up his contract as the backup.

I considered the same thing. But I wasn't sure who to put there. Could have Reinhart and Ennis switch.

I think if anything Reinhart and Girgensons switch. IMO Reinhart starts on and plays 80% of his time on the 3rd line this year, only because Eichel's a rookie and most likely won't be centering the top line until next year or late February.

Hoss, I'd flip Reinhart and Gionta. I'd hate to see 2 rookies on the same line. Eventually, move back Reinhart to 3rd center, and put Girgensons on the Eichel line.

What is fun is finally thinking about a roster with actual NHL caliber players and pondering about which combinations work best.

Edited by 2_minutes_4_roughing

We could put together an interesting traditional third line of Girgensons, Larsson and Foligno/McGinn

But I think we're more likely to be matching up a first line of O'Reilly and Kane against the other team's best.

Even though that's not what Bylsma did in Pittsburgh.

All of a sudden the there are so many interesting options.

It will be interesting to see what direction disco Dan takes.

I think if anything Reinhart and Girgensons switch. IMO Reinhart starts on and plays 80% of his time on the 3rd line this year, only because Eichel's a rookie and most likely won't be centering the top line until next year or late February.

They could. I think they may want to open the year with O'Reilly and Girgensons sandwiching Eichel while Reinhart comes in on the wing... In time I think Girgensons goes to wing and Reinhart moves to the middle.

I can't remember how many countless hours I spent in the last couple years sitting Indian style in the middle of my living room floor with 12 of my favorite Hockey Cards, arranging and rearranging four rows of three each and contemplating all of the infinite possibilities with my Jerry D'amigo, and Zac Dalpe and Porter Flynn, and Flynn Porter and Phil Varone and Matt D'agostini and Zenon Konopka and Ville Leino and Cory Conacher and Luke Adam, etc, trying to mesh playing styles they could feed off each other.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.