GDT: Buffalo @ Colorado, 9:00 PM EST

WildCard

It might be partly because of the dictum he's working under: teach and change the culture. So, the lines stay the same because everyone on the roster has to learn to compete.

Also, Teddy is big on earning playing time, and that lesson seems to be more important to him this season rather than flat out trying to gain points. He has to remain consistent for the lesson to be effective.

Indeed, it would seem that a lot of the coaching blunders this year could be explained that way. Perhaps he was told, at the beginning of the season, not to concern himself with points so much as to drill irrevocably the lessons of earning time, trying harder, and playing for your teammate. Maybe GMTM told him the results of those lessons are the prime factors in his evaluation.

That's all I can think of that's not "Nolan can't coach at the NHL level".

Edited by SiZzlEmIsTEr

Yes they did. It was a great game, but it would have been better if ND actually had some plays drawn up at the end instead of run-n-chuck-a-brick.

I see a choke as a situation where it looks like a team has the game in the bag and they allow it to slip away. I watched the entire game and never had any sense other than it would likely come down to a last shot, which it did. Saying ND choked is a huge disrespect to how great a game those kids played.

Risto is as good as you can expect. You can wish for more but right now he is exceeding reasonable expectations. He is the Xmas present you didn't ask for but can't imagine nit having gotten.

I don't think it's too early to draw comparisons to Nicklas Lidström.  I was living in Detroit when he came up; Risto really reminds me of Lidström. Rarely made a mistake but was unflappable when he did.

It might be partly because of the dictum he's working under: teach and change the culture. So, the lines stay the same because everyone on the roster has to learn to compete.

Also, Teddy is big on earning playing time, and that lesson seems to be more important to him this season rather than flat out trying to gain points. He has to remain consistent for the lesson to be effective.

Indeed, it would seem that a lot of the coaching blunders this year could be explained that way. Perhaps he was told, at the beginning of the season, not to concern himself with points so much as to drill irrevocably the lessons of earning time, trying harder, and playing for your teammate. Maybe GMTM told him the results of those lessons are the prime factors in his evaluation.

Good points, and the best defence I've seen of Nolan's coaching strategy this year.

This is what I've been trying to articulate most of this season without much success. That was the msg from GMTM and Ted at the beginning of the year that escaped most fans. I got it so I've largely stayed off the fire Nolan bandwagon on sabrespace. That doesn't excuse every move made by Nolan this season but I'm thinking that most moves were made with those expectations in mind. 

This is what I've been trying to articulate most of this season without much success. That was the msg from GMTM and Ted at the beginning of the year that escaped most fans. I got it so I've largely stayed off the fire Nolan bandwagon on sabrespace. That doesn't excuse every move made by Nolan this season but I'm thinking that most moves were made with those expectations in mind. 

exactly if you want to redo the culture of the organization players have to earn ice time and not be handed things without earning them. That is what Yzerman did when he took over in Tampa, young guys have to earn ice time regardless of where they were drafted. You'd specked him to make mistakes but they have to be giving a consistent effort or they sit or go back to the American League

exactly if you want to redo the culture of the organization players have to earn ice time and not be handed things without earning them. That is what Yzerman did when he took over in Tampa, young guys have to earn ice time regardless of where they were drafted. You'd specked him to make mistakes but they have to be giving a consistent effort or they sit or go back to the American League

Know what else Yzerman did? He fired his coach who turned out not to be good enough.

I see a choke as a situation where it looks like a team has the game in the bag and they allow it to slip away. I watched the entire game and never had any sense other than it would likely come down to a last shot, which it did. Saying ND choked is a huge disrespect to how great a game those kids played.

A choke, to me, can also be losing a staredown. How else do you describe playing with and leading Kentucky all game, then suddenly taking bad shots in the last minute? If you get the yips in crunch time, that is a choke. No disrespect intended, just calling it what it is.

A rational explanation. Great post, true or not, for those of us who aren't sure.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.