GDT Coyotes at Sabres 3-26-2015 7PM MSG, WGR

Brawndo

I thought Weber's comments were heartfelt and honest.

I felt for the guy.

Heartfelt and honest they may have been. Doesn't mean they're not also hilariously tone-deaf and insulting to those who chose to spend their money to attend the game. Which, and I can't stress this enough, the Sabres lost because of him.

The Sabres didn't like the fans reactions? Guess what fellas. You know how every time one of you jumps from one team to the next because your new team could pay a little more and you claim "it's not personal, it's just the business side of hockey"? This is the fan version of that. Deal with it.

I spent awhile trying to think of how I wanted to say what I wanted to say...and found this. Great way to put it.

Furthermore, any athlete that comes here should be put through a short documentary about the tortured history of Buffalo sports. This, and a couple years back when Ott complained about the fans booing, is about so much more than the current team.

Fans should have kept the cheering inside themselves, i wanted to loose as well, but there are players on the ice giving the best they can.

Sometimes the raw emotion just breaks through. It happens. I'm not saying it's "right," per se, but I don't think the fans who did it are the scourge of the universe some are making them out to be. I didn't have tickets, but if I went my game plan would have been to just be quiet and chat with friends for most of it...but I'm almost certain something would have come out on the tying goal and the Arizona winner.

Noticed you didn't mention the Rangers or Habs. Hmm?

That's the one thing great about this season, anyone can cherry pick whatever they want and find a way to be angry, myself included. :lol:

fair enough. I just thought it was funny because of the amount of Sabres they have on their team. Add in their big FAs. ....nevermind. Arizona won. I'm happy

Worst part of this whole debacle is its gonna turn Sabrespace into TBD. Usually this board is pretty tight knit, but this season is tearing us apart as a whole.....why, oh why dammit!!!

Bullfeathers! This board hasn't been on the same page since TP bought the team, if it was even on the same page before that. We are 8 flipping games (probably/hopefully less) from being on the same page. I see no reason that grudges should be held against fellow fans. No fan came up w/ the 'suffering' policy. Why should those that believed it was the best outcome of a horribly dealt hand get flack and why should those that hate it on principle catch flack?

Bullfeathers! This board hasn't been on the same page since TP bought the team, if it was even on the same page before that. We are 8 flipping games (probably/hopefully less) from being on the same page. I see no reason that grudges should be held against fellow fans. No fan came up w/ the 'suffering' policy. Why should those that believed it was the best outcome of a horribly dealt hand get flack and why should those that hate it on principle catch flack?

...allow me to introduce you to the internet :p ;)

Of course not. But as unfortunate as it is, there's going to be some lingering craters from the great tank war of 2013-15. Internet gonn' Internet.

I truly believe that this 'family' is small enough that it won't hold grudges over the 'tank.' That said, we'll still have issues when people see things from different vantage points. But the battles won't be because of what side of the 'tank' somebody was on, IMHO.

Maybe for some, but most will be happy with a new season and seeing Cojack play for us :D

Well if all is right in the world, and even when it is Buffalo still seems to be off kilter, no one should be complaining about watching one of the (hopeful) future stars of the NHL wearing a Sabres jersey for the forseeable future. Its not gonna be an instant turnaround, but this team has some of the main, young components in place to be good for quite awhile. The next year or two may not be great, but they should be entertaining to say the least. I cannot wait til next fall already. And bring Stewart back Murray!!!

There's a difference between being ashamed of the team (which represents the city) and being ashamed of the fans (i.e., the city itself).  The Lucic hit was bad but as others have noted those demons can be exorcised by retaliation and ultimately moving the players involved off the team.  The fans who were there tonight were there because they are among the most rabid, dedicated fans.  They were there because they won't ever go away.  They are the city.

So while you can debate which is worse, consider which is a permanent part of the city.

That said, I think Assquatch makes a brilliant point.  Hey Sabres, this is just business.  Don't take it personally.

I'm not conflating the two and as such, not debating which is worse. I was just reminded of the Lucic incident when I saw the video again. That team was simply shameful. 

As to the fans exercising their right to go to a game and boo the home team, they have that right as consumers. To cheer the opposing team? They have that right, too. People are making way too much of it, especially in light of the clusterphuck of a season this has been. 

Assquatch is right, players shouldn't take it personally. And they should know better than to draw a line in the sand against the fans like Weber did. He needs to get a clue. 

GO SABRES!!!

And as predicted, it's all over the Internet as to how the Sabres fans cheered for the Coyotes. That's the worst part, but I think we all knew this was coming sooner or later.

I don't mean this personally, but why in the world would you care some hack like Vogl or Harringtom or Gleason from another city are writing? I am 100% confident you have more hockey knowledge in your pinky than all 3 of them combined. I think as Buffalonians, and Buffalo sports fans, we have always had such an inferiority complex, worried about what the "big boys " think about us as a fan base and a city. Think Boston fans care we , or some goofball writer,think that they are pompous pricks or are they more concerned with counting rings in that city.

Screw em, we got us a " big boy" owner now, the city is coming back, screw everyone else. I am not a season ticket holder, but I can't be prouder to be a Sabre fan than after these last two years. That building has been packed for 3 years of awful hockey, packed, and I mean truly awful hockey. Those fans going night in and night out are to be commended.

And correct me if I am wrong, their coach has preached all year about he has had"passengers" , even said post game last night he had some guys who were not "ready to

Play".

And if it was the "other" fans, only there for last night, then You know they are not the heart of the fan base, so don't sweat what hear or read.

I am 52, never ever rooted against a Buffalo team or booed a Buffalo team, and I am pretty damn sure I would have let out a hearty cheer when that OT goal went in.

Edited by plenzmd1

Woah someone borrowed your quote here and put it on a picture on the Sabres' Facebook page, had a total déjà vu moment

I posted it last night on WGR's Facebook link to Paul Hamilton's article. I see that someone posted it again on another WGR photo this morning.

And as predicted, it's all over the Internet as to how the Sabres fans cheered for the Coyotes. That's the worst part, but I think we all knew this was coming sooner or later.

Mike & Mike just did a whole segment on the Sabres and how GMTM openly admitted a month ago the team is tanking... Yeah, that bad

The more sophisticated response was to stay quiet and leave the game with a smile on my face.

Maybe, but the emotionally sophisticated response was this.  Otherwise, when we all get old and demented we will constantly cussing out Mike Weber and telling Dangerslakov to go f himself for losing. 

Some of us may do this right after the Sabres win the cup being oblivious so.  Get it off your chest I say... :P

Seen it happen on a ward full of demented people.  The most repressed have the most verbal diarrhea... scary what this say about all of this on this board...hmmm

Mike & Mike just did a whole segment on the Sabres and how GMTM openly admitted a month ago the team is tanking... Yeah, that bad

Wow, you mean we are "rebuilding" or tanking or whatever. I think we , everybody, everywhere knew that. I am sure they have done a segment on the 76s, the Bucs pulling their starters in the their last game last year , Indy sitting players in their last two games in their "suck for Luck" campaign.

Again, I don't mean this personally, but i can't recall one time in the last three years anyone saying Indy as an organization, or that their fan base, is somehow dirty. I know I sure as chit did not hear anything in the AFC Championship game they played in last year.

Let them blast away, nothing but talk show fodder

Edited by plenzmd1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.