Reaction to Kane presser

PASabreFan

We talked about this over the summer, the "problem" of too few new threads here. Everything tends to get dumped under a generic title. Someone coming to this board last night or today wouldn't immediately see where discussion of the Kane presser is, not that there was a lot of it. So I'm starting this thread. Maybe a mod can port over the presser talk from the trade thread.

Anywho...

The only pause I got from the performance was his talk about being in small town Winnipeg, the fishbowl of a Canadian market etc. It'll be the same in Buffalo. It's a hockey town and a virtual Canadian market. Oh yeah, it's smaller than Winnipeg, population-wise. (And Winnipeg's population is growing pretty fast.) One help might be less media attention in Buffalo, as Mike Harrington pointed out today.

The pertinent quotes, from the Winnipeg Sun:

“I guess maybe it was overdue,” Kane told reporters in Buffalo, N.Y. on Saturday. “Sometimes things just don’t work. Winnipeg is a very small town, but it’s a big hockey market. It’s a little tougher than a Vancouver or a Toronto, where you can maybe get away a little bit. It’s a fishbowl. Being a Winnipeg Jet was something that everybody knew who you were. They always wanted to talk to you, which is great, and that was definitely one of the things you enjoy. But negative things can take a toll a little bit...."

“....I think that’s what it was, just speculation. I’m not really going to get into the details of what happened. Was I wearing a track suit? No. But it’s something tends to get blown out of proportion, especially playing in a Canadian market...."

Edited by Yuri Testikov

I'd like to posit that Buffalo is a different kind of town than Winnipeg. I think if Kane wants to be left alone here when he's out in public, he'll get that. He won't like the media here, but who does. But I don't think the city or the people will be a problem for him.

I get the feeling Winnipeg was a town with that "everyone knows everyone" attitude. Which can be a little annoying if you like your privacy. 

I'd like to posit that Buffalo is a different kind of town than Winnipeg. I think if Kane wants to be left alone here when he's out in public, he'll get that. He won't like the media here, but who does. But I don't think the city or the people will be a problem for him.

I get the feeling Winnipeg was a town with that "everyone knows everyone" attitude. Which can be a little annoying if you like your privacy. 

Didn't Drury talk about being approached at Wegman's?

Didn't Drury talk about being approached at Wegman's?

I don't recall. I guess I can't say I've ever seen or heard a player complain about Buffalo fans accosting them in public. I remember seeing Teppo at the Clarence Fair one year and everyone was doing a very nice job of leaving him alone. I don't think I've ever heard complaints from the football side of things either. 

have heard of Buffalo players accosting Buffalonians in public though...

I stated this in another thread but I liked Kane's swagger.  I also liked the fact when pressed about what happened in Winnipeg, he wouldn't name names or induldge in story telling. He basically said stuff happened and this is a fresh start.  To me that is a good sign because he isn't whining about the past.  Also of note was his discussion about winning at all levels of hockey and wanting to be a leader on a winning NHL team.  The presser honestly made me like him much more than I did initially.

Just a little correction, The city itself might be bigger, but Buffalo's metro area population is much bigger that Winny's.

OK, but really we're talking about two small cities here. That's what Kane is going to see. He'd probably prefer to still be in Atlanta.

OK, but really we're talking about two small cities here. That's what Kane is going to see. He'd probably prefer to still be in Atlanta.

You're probably right. It's why I picked him to go to LA. I really didn't think he'd be coming here if his agent had any say at all. But maybe he'll like it here? 

He'd probably prefer to be in Vancouver being that its his hometown. Vans pretty big when you include all the other municipalities surrounding it and its still a fishbowl. Hockey mad is how I'd describe it. So if thats something he wants to get away from he won't escape it going back home. My hope is that he's sincere about being excited to be in Buffalo and truly want to be a part of the leadership group and grow with this young team. So far he's saying all the right things. If the Buffalo media runs him out of town get out the pitchforks. I envision Kane as a BIG part of the resurgence thats going to take place in Buffalo hockey and in the city itself. The national media likes to take swipes at the Sabres and the city but they'll be kissing the cities asss in a few years when this ship is turned around.

Kane does seem like a bright lights big city type of guy but I'll go out on a limb and say that the 38% that's Buffalo's black population, (100,000) as opposed to the 2.7% of Winnipeg (17,500) will make Kane feel more natural in the Buffalo environment. It must be odd for a star black athlete to go from metro Atlanta (black population 286,000) to the isolated Winnipeg prairie and then to Buffalo, although undeniably Winnipeg has great hockey fans. I do think that young hockey players in different cities tend to imitate the star players of their favorite teams and I think if Kane can get healthy, he might have legions of young fans in Buffalo.

I believe there is some truth to a post in the trade thread about him being trumped by the ex Blackhawks group and Wheeler for alpha dog status. He had a long run with the franchise and wasn't a big part of the room. He may not be a rah-rah guy but his on ice give a schit meter has always been high. He may embrace the youth movement that he will lead. He was a large part of Junior success at the Memorial Cup and World Championship.

:unsure: 

I believe there is some truth to a post in the trade thread about him being trumped by the ex Blackhawks group and Wheeler for alpha dog status. He had a long run with the franchise and wasn't a big part of the room. He may not be a rah-rah guy but his on ice give a schit meter has always been high. He may embrace the youth movement that he will lead. He was a large part of Junior success at the Memorial Cup and World Championship.

Do you think Kane, and not Girgensons, is now the heir apparent captain?

No, but as you said, don't fall I love with the kids.

On ice here, Kane will be an all-situations guy, which should translate to respect in the room.

In The Peg, he wanted to be that guy, but didn't or couldn't, possibly because of the team mix.

Assuming the Sabres don't slide out of 30th, McEichel is the heir apparent when Gionta steps back in ~ 3 years.

Also keep in mind that this is on every Manitoban's car, so they probably feel like it's totally cool to be way too "friendly".

licence.jpg

Plus, they appear to be Buffalo fans, so we've got that going for us. ;)

I was impressed that he didn't beat around the bush.  He remained professional while answering questions about Winnipeg and left the issue in Manitoba.  He may have spurned some in that room, but I am so happy to have him here.  He was insightful, funny and straight forward.  If anything, he's excited about the group and opportunity to improve on the upswing.  2015-16, looks brighter and more optimistic. 

He may understand the dynamics of continual wash-rinse-repeat of just missing the playoffs versus a full teardown, tank and rebuild.  Note that the last three years WPG has been 11th, 9th & 11th in their conference.  Looks like they make the playoffs this year, but they seem to be stuck in the same purgatory that the Sabres were in pre-tank.  He may be excited about getting off the treadmill.

Edited by Neuvirths Perchatka

...Winnipeg also has a larger population than Boston,St Louis,Pittsburgh etc.But of course that is meaningless because their city population covers 98% of their metro population. Winnipeg is really smaller than Albany or Syracuse and much smaller than Rochester.

That said--Buffalo is also very much a fishbowl like Winnipeg .

We talked about this over the summer, the "problem" of too few new threads here. Everything tends to get dumped under a generic title. Someone coming to this board last night or today wouldn't immediately see where discussion of the Kane presser is, not that there was a lot of it. So I'm starting this thread. Maybe a mod can port over the presser talk from the trade thread.

Yes! More new threads please.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.