Will Eichel be an immediate contributor?

PromoTheRobot

I'll be honest. With all the "McEichel" talk I assumed both players will be expected to perform in the NHL from Day 1. But I just read a story about Eichel being a freshman at BU.

Holy crap, a freshman?? So that means he's still just a kid. Can we realistically expect him to do anything for the Sabres next year, or will he be another Grigorenko overwhelmed?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I'll be honest. With all the "McEichel" talk I assumed both players will be expected to perform in the NHL from Day 1. But I just read a story about Eichel being a freshman at BU.

Holy crap, a freshman?? So that means he's still just a kid. Can we realistically expect him to play for the Sabres next year?

Just out of curiosity, what grade did you expect to find an 18 year old?

And, in case you were wondering, McDavid is also "just a kid." They both play like men though and both will be in the NHL next year.

If they are truly franchise changing players like they've been advertised to be, they should be able to step right in.  I wouldn't expect them to be elite right away, but I would expect them to contribute.

Given what serious hockey people have said about McDavid, yeah, I expect elite. I won't rip him if he's not elite. If he's not really, really good, something is wrong.

Edited by Yuri Testikov

Given what serious hockey people have said about McDavid, yeah, I expect elite. I won't rip him if he's not elite. If he's not really, really good, something is wrong.

John Tavares was called "The Next One".  I don't recall him being elite right out of the gate.  Was he even really, really good?   He was a 50 pt player his rookie season so he was a decent contributor right away.  Just one example off the top of my head.

And the OP is about Eichel so I guess if it is accurate that Eichel is below McDavid, elite out of the gate is probably over-wishing.

Just out of curiosity, what grade did you expect to find an 18 year old?

And, in case you were wondering, McDavid is also "just a kid." They both play like men though and both will be in the NHL next year.

This is part of the reason why I'm confused about the OP singling out Eichel. The other part of my confusion is that "kids" regularly come in and contribute immediately--it's not like we're expecting McEichel to do something that's never been done.

John Tavares was called "The Next One".  I don't recall him being elite right out of the gate.  Was he even really, really good?   He was a 50 pt player his rookie season so he was a decent contributor right away.  Just one example off the top of my head.

And the OP is about Eichel so I guess if it is accurate that Eichel is below McDavid, elite out of the gate is probably over-wishing.

Much like Stamkos, Tavares started slow and was much better the second half of the season.

I believe he'll eventually be elite, but I also have an expectation that he can contribute significantly as a rookie under the right circumstances.

I did some NHLe analytics a little while ago in the CHL thread (there's several posts there) that put Eichel somewheres between 57 and 73 points, assuming he sees anywhere between average and elite-worthy rookie usage, linemates, and opportunities.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

It's possible that Eichel never really contributes ever at an elite level. Edmonton seems to have a knack for destroying talent.

Have any good examples? The myth keeps rolling.

Can he play in Rachacha next year? I thought you had to be 20+, or is that only if you come out f juniors?

He can play in Rochester ASAP. But he won't. He'll be in the NHL next year. And I don't understand why there's any notion that McDavid can jump but Eichel can't. Eichel is known for the most physical style than McDavid anyways and has shown all the skill. McDavid is better, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Eichel playing at a high level earlier.

Leading the NCAA in scoring as a freshman is elite. Tavares was elite as a junior but took some time.

Stamkos was mentioned as a weak rookie but look at him now. Thornton comes to mind as another, slow out of the gate.

I think they get put into roles to give them confidence and succeed, PP, O-zone starts, good line mates.

McDavid needs a bit more weight to hold up, speed to burn though.

I hope we get McDavid but Eichel will do fine.

Eichel may be driven by always being #2, will try harder. Avis could be his nickname.

Yes, he'll be an immediate contributor. 

I just hope we temper expectations. Anyone expecting McDeichel to step right in and post HOF numbers in his rookie season just isn't dealing in reality. I'll just be happy knowing we finally have a cornerstone worth building around; a true bonafide difference maker on the ice. 

GO SABRES!!!

name one scenario with a better than 20% chance of occurring.

Getting the number two pick.

I see your argument because I've been calling that forever. We have a better chance than anybody else IF we finish last. But the field has an 80% chance of winning the lottery.

Getting the number two pick.

I see your argument because I've been calling that forever. We have a better chance than anybody else IF we finish last. But the field has an 80% chance of winning the lottery.

I conceded to the field in the original post.

The most likely team that Connor McDavid will be playing for next year is the Buffalo Sabres.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.