Trade Deadline 2015 (March 2nd, 3 p.m.)

Hoss

Methinks a lot of folks are stuck in Regier Time. GMTM is more pragmatic and less philosophical. He gives zero about the technicality of "winning trades." He set out a few weeks ago to accelerate the rebuild and the tank at the same time. Tricky. He pulled it off, but he gave up a lot in the Winnipeg trade and didn't receive quite the haul he might have today. Who cares? A valuable piece in Myers went out the door, valuable pieces in Kane and Bogosian came back, along with a greater chance of McEichel. Take the rest of the trash to the curb. It's not even close, really.

Methinks a lot of folks are stuck in Regier Time. GMTM is more pragmatic and less philosophical. He gives zero ###### about the technicality of "winning trades." He set out a few weeks ago to accelerate the rebuild and the tank at the same time. Tricky. He pulled it off, but he gave up a lot in the Winnipeg trade and didn't receive quite the haul he might have today. Who cares? A valuable piece in Myers went out the door, valuable pieces in Kane and Bogosian came back, along with a greater chance of McEichel. Take the rest of the trash to the curb. It's not even close, really.

Time will tell on the Kane deal. It looks like it's paying off for Winnipeg right now plus you have Armia, Lemieux, plus the first. But on the flip side of that we have Kane who could be pretty dynamic himself on a new team and Zach is a beast compared to Myers. I thought at first he overpaid on the Fasching deal for McNabb but I look at the deal and say we won now. Both look like we could have solid players for years to come in Buffalo. What I have learn about Murray is he doesn't mind overpaying to get the players he really wants.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Methinks a lot of folks are stuck in Regier Time. GMTM is more pragmatic and less philosophical. He gives zero ###### about the technicality of "winning trades." He set out a few weeks ago to accelerate the rebuild and the tank at the same time. Tricky. He pulled it off, but he gave up a lot in the Winnipeg trade and didn't receive quite the haul he might have today. Who cares? A valuable piece in Myers went out the door, valuable pieces in Kane and Bogosian came back, along with a greater chance of McEichel. Take the rest of the trash to the curb. It's not even close, really.

:worthy:

A realist, with a sexy cranium stain

Completely reasonable viewpoint.

Look at you! 

What a pleasant post. 

:P

It's really the classic Buffalo reaction. No one cares about 4th liners, nickle backs and minor leaguers more than us. I'm certain some Buffalonian was complaining that the large shrimp platter was too small as the Titanic was sinking.

This is all reminiscent of Tim Kennedy.

It's really the classic Buffalo reaction. No one cares about 4th liners, nickle backs and minor leaguers more than us. I'm certain some Buffalonian was complaining that the large shrimp platter was too small as the Titanic was sinking.

We are a silly fanbase.  But I wouldn't have it any other way

Neuvirth got a fine return considering how late in the season it is for a rental goalie.

Stewart's return was fine. Once we all realize that he's actually a bad player, not a good one, we'll realize we were silly to ever expect anything more. A second is a second. Could be a high pick too.

Bad value for Mitchell but whatever. It was essentially just letting him walk because there's a very small chance either piece ever plays in Buffalo. But it's also a nice move by Murray to ship him home and let him contend.

Flynn's deal was similar but I wouldn't say it's bad value. He's meh. Won't miss him.

Point for point, spot on, especially the Mitchell one. He might have garnered a fifth elsewhere, but Murray did right by a good soldier. Players will notice.

Methinks I agree with this too.  :P

I don't know if Murray waited to long on Stewart. Playing poker is not his style.

As a buyer, his MO is to take what he wants and pay the price.

As a seller, I think he would have jumped had someone offered what he thought Stewart was worth.

Looks like the market didn't value Stewart as much as Murray thought it should.

Edited by Djuda Chekhov

Is it, really?  Was it unreasonable to expect less than a three-year wait for a return on a player?  Were we so out of control when goalies fetched third-rounders?  We can reasonably disagree without hyperbole.  Murray has done some good stuff; today was not his finest.  Let it go without the "classic Buffalo reaction" stuff.  It's not Van Boxmeer for Robert, after all.

Edited by Eleven

Leopold dealt after 11 yr old daughter's letter

Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen tweeted out a photo of the letter and wrote, "It isn't always just about business..."

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12409736/jordan-leopold-traded-hometown-minnesota-wild-daughter-letter-team

We all have seen the letter, and I'm glad that Ruuttu has a job somewhere.

Didn't see this posted. Sounds like GMTM was trying to work out bigger deals involving Stewart and other pieces that did not work out.

@Pierre LeBrun @

Real_ESPNLeBrun · 3h 3 hours ago
Chuck Fletcher phoned Tim Murray this morning and said he might be interested if it's a smaller deal. Murray circled back very late in day

@Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun · 3h 3 hours ago
It's clear Murray had larger deals involving Stewart he was looking at but they didn't pan out. Got what he could late from Wild

Leopold dealt after 11 yr old daughter's letter

Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen tweeted out a photo of the letter and wrote, "It isn't always just about business..."

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12409736/jordan-leopold-traded-hometown-minnesota-wild-daughter-letter-team

I hate to question a cute story, but why is the Columbus GM trying to take credit when he hadn't seen the letter before the deal was done?

Guest Sloth

Before the organized chaos, also known as the trade deadline, many felt Stewart was worth a 2nd round pick. I'm content w/ what Murray pulled off. What would have pissed off many would have been Stewart not being traded. He had already expressed his interests in pulling a Moulson. Murray may have killed two birds w/ one stone. Let the tank finish w/ a bang. All hail Mceichel!

Edited by thanes16

Is it, really? Was it unreasonable to expect less than a three-year wait for a return on a player? Were we so out of control when goalies fetched third-rounders? We can reasonably disagree without hyperbole. Murray has done some good stuff; today was not his finest. Let it go without the "classic Buffalo reaction" stuff. It's not Van Boxmeer for Robert, after all.

Why do you think it is hyperbole? It is what Buffalo does. Fans get up and arms about the pennies and lose sight of the dollars. Saw a game a couple years back when my 25 year old STH nephew posts on facebook while at the game that he hopes to never to see Matt Ellis in a Sabres uniform again. Matt Ellis. When Matt Ellis is a problem on your team then you have no real problems. The board melted down when Tim Kennedy wasn't re-signed. Tim Kennedy is a pimple on the ass of Buffalo Sabres history. It's all overreaction.

The players dealt today were insignificant in the grand scheme of things as well as any missed opportunities in returns. A second in 2017 will probably be flipped next year and you'll get your return. The cards didn't fall exactly our way this time. Big deal. The franchise is moving forward on a grander path than the year in which we get a second round pick.

after pondering the trades for a small bit, I think Tim Murray did what he could but I wish that he had done more.  I also understand that it may not have been possible.  The good news is he was able to offload players who can be replaced and who were going to walk away for free.  Now we must focus on the last 19 games and the long sprint to the finish line.  

Why do you think it is hyperbole? It is what Buffalo does. Fans get up and arms about the pennies and lose sight of the dollars. Saw a game a couple years back when my 25 year old STH nephew posts on facebook while at the game that he hopes to never to see Matt Ellis in a Sabres uniform again. Matt Ellis. When Matt Ellis is a problem on your team then you have no real problems. The board melted down when Tim Kennedy wasn't re-signed. Tim Kennedy is a pimple on the ass of Buffalo Sabres history. It's all overreaction.

The players dealt today were insignificant in the grand scheme of things as well as any missed opportunities in returns. A second in 2017 will probably be flipped next year and you'll get your return. The cards didn't fall exactly our way this time. Big deal. The franchise is moving forward on a grander path than the year in which we get a second round pick.

Clap Clap Clap! I like you're nephew too. It's over for good ole Matty Ellis as soon as this season ends. I never want to have pay another dime to see him play unless I go to an AHL game.

The cards didn't fall exactly our way this time.

This is the thing right here; the cards DID fall the Murray's way.  He got rid of players getting in the way of the tank, and cleared out roster spots and cap room to go on a spending spree this summer.  He gets to shop for players not only with big money, but he gets to tell them they're going to play on a roster that features Reinhart, Kane, Ennis, Moulson, and...McEichel.  He gets to tell them that their defense is as loaded as any in the west. 

To me, that's a pretty big deal.

This is the thing right here; the cards DID fall the Murray's way.  He got rid of players getting in the way of the tank, and cleared out roster spots and cap room to go on a spending spree this summer.  He gets to shop for players not only with big money, but he gets to tell them they're going to play on a roster that features Reinhart, Kane, Ennis, Moulson, and...McEichel.  He gets to tell them that their defense is as loaded as any in the west. 

And yet many doubt that we could be a playoff bubble team. Maybe I have higher expectations but you add a couple of solid hockey players to that group and away we go.

And yet many doubt that we could be a playoff bubble team. Maybe I have higher expectations but you add a couple of solid hockey players to that group and away we go.

How can the Sabres not be?  Look at what the roster has for next year already.  Add to that a McEichel and your choice of UFAs, or even a RFA if Murray wants to get all aggressive.  The weakest link, now, is the goalie position, but, again, that will be addressed this summer.

How can the Sabres not be?  Look at what the roster has for next year already.  Add to that a McEichel and your choice of UFAs, or even a RFA if Murray wants to get all aggressive.  The weakest link, now, is the goalie position, but, again, that will be addressed this summer.

I agree and it's kind of head scratching to me why there are so many that say we wont make the playoffs next year. I think I will be pretty disappointed if we aren't climbing fast starting right off the bat next season. I hear GMTM saying the Kane deal speeds everything up. My money says he makes the run for ROR or someone else.

I hate to question a cute story, but why is the Columbus GM trying to take credit when he hadn't seen the letter before the deal was done?

The letter was actually back written and sent back in January. It is my belief he did receive it.

I agree and it's kind of head scratching to me why there are so many that say we wont make the playoffs next year. I think I will be pretty disappointed if we aren't climbing fast starting right off the bat next season. I hear GMTM saying the Kane deal speeds everything up. My money says he makes the run for ROR or someone else.

Yikes, we have some great defensive prospects, but we're a far cry from being as loaded as some teams in the West. I would not count on this team making the playoffs either. The future is very bright, but you guys are begging to be disappointed next year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.