Trade Deadline 2015 (March 2nd, 3 p.m.)

Hoss

Why does 'today' matter? Today, yesterday, tomorrow, Murray got bupkus. If the mission was to get something, congratulations, he got something. But he looks like he misplayed his hand badly holding Stewart and Mitchell to the end. We used to complain that Darcy overvalued his players. Well guess what Murray did today.

Oh, excuuuuuussse meeeee! Murray got PRECISELY bupkus!

Just curious, what return do you think Darcy would have received for Flynn, Mitchel, neuvirth and Stewart?

Why does 'today' matter? Today, yesterday, tomorrow, Murray got bupkus. If the mission was to get something, congratulations, he got something. But he looks like he misplayed his hand badly holding Stewart and Mitchell to the end. We used to complain that Darcy overvalued his players.  Well guess what Murray did today.

Oh, excuuuuuussse meeeee!  Murray got PRECISELY bupkus!

The only trade where he might have received less than expected is Neuvirth.  I would call that a trade of necessity.

Stewart was always going to get a second.  Do you think Murray was offered a first a week ago but decided to wait?  I would doubt that.

Flynn got a pick.  Not bad.

Mitchell got a pick and a prospect.  That is more than I would have expected back.

What's the complaint?

Why does 'today' matter? Today, yesterday, tomorrow, Murray got bupkus. If the mission was to get something, congratulations, he got something. But he looks like he misplayed his hand badly holding Stewart and Mitchell to the end. We used to complain that Darcy overvalued his players.  Well guess what Murray did today.

Oh, excuuuuuussse meeeee!  Murray got PRECISELY bupkus!

TM wasn't getting much else ever for what he had to deal.  What kind of return were you expecting from these players?! seriously? 

The only trade where he might have received less than expected is Neuvirth.  I would call that a trade of necessity.

Stewart was always going to get a second.  Do you think Murray was offered a first a week ago but decided to wait?  I would doubt that.

Flynn got a pick.  Not bad.

Mitchell got a pick and a prospect.  That is more than I would have expected back.

What's the complaint?

Stewart should have fetched a second this year, not 2017.

Flynn, not bad at all.

Mitchell got a BAD prospect and a BAD pick.  I expected a 2015 4th for him.

Agree on Neuvirth and I think the same of the Enroth trade.

Keep in mind what I said above:  Murray would not have extensive deadline experience from his time in Ottawa, and it may be showing here.  No reason to panic or to get extreme; just an area where he could ;use some improvement.

Our best asset, Stewart, gets us a 2nd three drafts from now. That's bogus. TM misplayed his hand badly.

How many people actually wanted him though?  I'm guessing if a 2nd rounder sooner than 2017 was available, it may have happened.  I do believe that the Mitchell return was garbage though.  I think he got what he could for Stewart.  Then again, I've never been a huge fan of his.  

Our best asset, Stewart, gets us a 2nd three drafts from now. That's bogus. TM misplayed his hand badly.

Our best asset, is Stewart. We got a 2nd. Who cares when it is. It's a 2nd. Would you rather keep him and let him walk? What are you bitching about?

We got rid of these players, that was the main thing. Murray may have done a little better, if you think he did terrible you don't know anything about player evaluation or market value.

While it's certainly not exciting it is a second round pick. Reports earlier today was he was being offered a fourth. Would you have preferred a third this year? I get the frustration but I'll take the second over the third.

Stewart should have fetched a second this year, not 2017.

Keep in mind what I said above:  Murray would not have extensive deadline experience from his time in Ottawa, and it may be showing here.  No reason to panic or to get extreme; just an area where he could ;use some improvement.

On Stewart, I don't know, a second is a second.

On Murray, I get the point, but, again, Murray was in the more desperate position here because he HAS to complete the tank.  If I were to imagine Murray's POV on all of this, he wouldn't allow himself to be in a position where he has to sell as many assets as possible.  I suppose, if one has to learn how to manage the draft deadline, this is the year and way to do it.  I'm sure this deadline taught him lots of things.

Our best asset, is Stewart. We got a 2nd. Who cares when it is. It's a 2nd. Would you rather keep him and let him walk? What are you bitching about?

We got rid of these players, that was the main thing. Murray may have done a little better, if you think he did terrible you don't know anything about player evaluation or market value.

I'm complaining Murray held out too long while other potential landing spots for Stewart made other deals. At deadline he had to settle for a pick three drafts from now. You are obviously satisfied with this mediocrity.

On Stewart, I don't know, a second is a second.

On Murray, I get the point, but, again, Murray was in the more desperate position here because he HAS to complete the tank.  If I were to imagine Murray's POV on all of this, he wouldn't allow himself to be in a position where he has to sell as many assets as possible.  I suppose, if one has to learn how to manage the draft deadline, this is the year and way to do it.  I'm sure this deadline taught him lots of things.

This is a good point and I hope so.

Very sad, yet very true, he was are best tradable assets, that still doesn't make him worth much.

Exactly my point, he's not worth much. We needed to get rid of him. A 2nd is a win. I wouldn't have cared if we gave him for future considerations. It could have been a 2030 2nd for all I care.

>Flyers got Lightning 2015 1st for Coburn

>Hurricanes got Kings 2015 1st for Sekera.

>Coyotes get Rangers 2016 1st for Yandle, etc.

>Coyotes got Blackhawks 2015 1st for Vermette

>Leafs got Preds 2015 1st for Franson, etc.

>Oilers get Pens 2015 1st for Perron

>Jets get Sabres 2015 1st for Myers, etc.

You were saying?

My intention isn't to pile on this, but only the three bolded trades were for rentals.  In the other trades, the primary players all have terms left on their contracts.

• Sekera's a top-four Dman going to a cup contender that's short two top-four Dmen (Voynov, Martinez).
  • Vermette was one of the most sought after forwards of the deadline, going to a cup contender crippled by the loss of Patrick Kane.
  • Cup contender Preds acquired both Franson and Santorelli with their 1st, a prospect, and Olli Jokinen, whom the Leafs didn't want anyways.

I don't think any of the assets Buffalo put on the marketplace met what those teams were looking for.

Generally speaking, I think GMs have figured out the value of deadline deals, and the days of collecting a 1st rounder for a middle-of-the-road rental player are over.

I'm complaining Murray held out too long while other potential landing spots for Stewart made other deals. At deadline he had to settle for a pick three drafts from now. You are obviously satisfied with this mediocrity.

I see where you are coming from. Would have been a good strategy if Boston didn't get connoly, and nobody seen that coming. He was waiting for the river card, he had tons of outs, unfortunately none hit this time, but it was worth the risk, and we still got market value.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.