Trade: Jhonas Enroth to Dallas

TheMatrix31

In terms of fanhood sins, being a team swapping w.h.o.r.e is far worse than openly rooting for a tank IMO.

Seriously. I forget who's who around here sometimes. The dude who says he's going to go cheer for another team because he disagrees with what the GM is doing is someone whom I really should just block. Not my kind of guy, at all.

Seriously. I forget who's who around here sometimes. The dude who says he's going to go cheer for another team because he disagrees with what the GM is doing is someone whom I really should just block. Not my kind of guy, at all.

His raging hardon for Enroth is the problem. He can't see past it.

Edited by d4rksabre

I cheer for Nashville whenever they make the playoffs... they are my favorite western conference team. 

If they play the Sabres... BURN NASHVILLE BURN!!!!

This may be a generational thing.

I cheer for no one but my hometown team. I may pull for another squad -- choose to have a rooting interest in them. But if they lose a big game? Meh. No biggie.

I understand the urge and tendency to diversify, though -- especially in the digital age. My youngest kids are both into all manner of sports and teams, and I see this behavior in them (in a very innocent way). I do everything I can to correct it, though. "We are fans of the [insert hometown pro and undergraduate college teams [here, Bills and Sabres and Mom's and Dad's fair alma maters]], kids. Nothing and no one else matters."

This may be a generational thing.

I cheer for no one but my hometown team. I may pull for another squad -- choose to have a rooting interest in them. But if they lose a big game? Meh. No biggie.

I understand the urge and tendency to diversify, though -- especially in the digital age. My youngest kids are both into all manner of sports and teams, and I see this behavior in them (in a very innocent way). I do everything I can to correct it, though. "We are fans of the [insert hometown pro and undergraduate college teams [here, Bills and Sabres and Mom's and Dad's fair alma maters]], kids. Nothing and no one else matters."

I think it's okay for kids to explore allegiances in sports because the hope should be that they like a sport you like, regardless of the team. When I was a kid I dumped the Bills for the Patriots because I liked their logo and hated Brett Favre. It took a few years before I came back to the Bills but it might never have been that way if I hadn't lived in the area. At the end of the day my pride in the CITY overrides the fact that the Bills ruined my childhood.

I think it's okay for kids to explore allegiances in sports because the hope should be that they like a sport you like, regardless of the team. When I was a kid I dumped the Bills for the Patriots because I liked their logo and hated Brett Favre. It took a few years before I came back to the Bills but it might never have been that way if I hadn't lived in the area. At the end of the day my pride in the CITY overrides the fact that the Bills ruined my childhood.

and to think...we considered ourselves friends  :nana:

I was the same way though growing up.  I explored the realm of possibly liking a few other football teams, but my original hometown pride always brought me back.  Sabres have always been my hockey team though.  I pull for other teams but that's the extent of it.  

In terms of fanhood sins, being a team swapping w.h.o.r.e is far worse than openly rooting for a tank IMO.

Edit: damn gefilter

Yesterday was one the more historic days in Sabres history in, what, 19 years?  Hell, I look forward to Sunday's game just to see our latest additions, it's been at least a year since I was this exited about a Sabres game. I don't understand the logic of not wanting to watch. 

As you guys know I wanted ... our former GM, who shall remain nameless ... to draft Fucale.

Now I want Murray to trade for him.  He is the highest rated goalie prospect in some time and is the best goalie in the CHL ... and no I'm not being a homer ... he was recently traded to the Remparts.

I watched him play for two + years ... he is that good.  Sure he was on a stacked team for their 2013 run to the Memorial Cup, but in 2014 and this season the Mooseheads are not that 2013 team.  They have only 2 marginal players left from that 2013 team.

I have not really thought about what it would take to get him from Montreal, but I am thinking a high end prospect, probably a Dman (Pysyk, maybe) and a 2nd rounder, maybe ... that's just off the top of my head on the fly thinking.

I generally don't have a problem with having a secondary team to root for. But I think having a secondary team is qualitatively different than abandoning your primary team to do so, especially when the justification for doing so has been available since the start of the year. Murray wanted to finish dead last from day one no matter what he says publicly, and to abandon the team because he traded a UFA goaltender to help get there is silly.

I generally don't have a problem with having a secondary team to root for. But I think having a secondary team is qualitatively different than abandoning your primary team to do so, especially when the justification for doing so has been available since the start of the year. Murray wanted to finish dead last from day one no matter what he says publicly, and to abandon the team because he traded a UFA goaltender to help get there is silly.

I agree.

Just to be clear when Nashville loses I don't really care, they are just a team I enjoy watching.  I am all Sabres though. 

As you guys know I wanted ... our former GM, who shall remain nameless ... to draft Fucale.

Now I want Murray to trade for him.  He is the highest rated goalie prospect in some time and is the best goalie in the CHL ... and no I'm not being a homer ... he was recently traded to the Remparts.

I watched him play for two + years ... he is that good.  Sure he was on a stacked team for their 2013 run to the Memorial Cup, but in 2014 and this season the Mooseheads are not that 2013 team.  They have only 2 marginal players left from that 2013 team.

I have not really thought about what it would take to get him from Montreal, but I am thinking a high end prospect, probably a Dman (Pysyk, maybe) and a 2nd rounder, maybe ... that's just off the top of my head on the fly thinking.

You are not alone, my friend.  I thought we traded to get that #35 pick just to take Fucale, and I was very unhappy when we didn't take him.  Hopefully the Habs are open to trading him, considering how well Price has been playing.  I would LOVE to get Fucale.

I pull for the Blackhawks when playoffs come and the Sabres aren't in it. Patrick Kane is my favorite player (no hometown hero, just exciting to watch), jerseys/fans are awesome, and I like dynasties. Watching something great is fun. 

Plus, I can't root for another franchise to win their first Cup before the Sabres do. That list is already pretty small, and most of those teams haven't been around as long as Buffalo

Edit: damn gefilter

So you root for whatever team is winning? There's a name for that......

No, that's not it at all. If I'm rooting for whatever team is winning why did I pick the Panthers? I've been here as long as I was in Buffalo. I've followed this team since their beginning. It's not a sin to support the local team as long as they're not playing your real team. I'm a fan of the sport, supporting any team is good for the NHL. You could get on my case........ until you factor in the people who left this board completely and no longer watch hockey because the Sabres are currently one of the worst teams in NHL history. You'll be hard pressed to find a bigger fan than me, I have the right to voice my displeasure about a couple of trades. But there's one thing you won't see, and that's me bailing on my team. It seems as though some Sabres fans like to gang up on their own when they don't like something they say. It's a shame really, barbaric. 

I'm sorry are you lost? Don't you have a Panthers forum to post on?

I rest my case. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

No, that's not it at all. If I'm rooting for whatever team is winning why did I pick the Panthers? I've been here as long as I was in Buffalo. I've followed this team since their beginning. It's not a sin to support the local team as long as they're not playing your real team. I'm a fan of the sport, supporting any team is good for the NHL. You could get on my case........ until you factor in the people who left this board completely and no longer watch hockey because the Sabers are currently one of the worst teams in NHL history. You'll be hard pressed to find a bigger fan than me, I have the right to voice my displeasure about a couple of trades. But there's one thing you won't see, and that's me bailing on my team. It seems as though Sabers fans like to gang up on their own when they don't like something they say. It's a shame really, barbaric.

I rest my case.

You're not one of us anymore. Not with that Panthers avatar.

That's not the case and you know it. Stop with the melodrama. 

You're not one of us anymore. Not with that Panthers avatar.

You'll get over it. 

No, that's not it at all. If I'm rooting for whatever team is winning why did I pick the Panthers? I've been here as long as I was in Buffalo. I've followed this team since their beginning. It's not a sin to support the local team as long as they're not playing your real team. I'm a fan of the sport, supporting any team is good for the NHL. You could get on my case........ until you factor in the people who left this board completely and no longer watch hockey because the Sabres are currently one of the worst teams in NHL history. You'll be hard pressed to find a bigger fan than me, I have the right to voice my displeasure about a couple of trades. But there's one thing you won't see, and that's me bailing on my team. It seems as though some Sabres fans like to gang up on their own when they don't like something they say. It's a shame really, barbaric. 

I rest my case. 

Take care JJ. See you next year. :thumbsup:

As a side note, people react to emotional trauma in many different ways. With the season that the Sabres have put us as fans through, I have no objection to any means of coping/dealing with this dumpster fire. If you want to watch real NHL hockey for a little while, more power to you.

I rest my case. 

I understand having an interest in the local team.  And I am a fan of the sport and on any given night I'll watch hockey between any two teams and I'll more than likely root for one team over the other.  Except in certain circumstances like Boston vs. Leafs where I just root for the termination of both teams.

That said.. I criticized you for your approach.  Saying that Murray checked out was cuckoo.  The Sabres plan has not been altered.  I think, at this point, it's being executed with the precision of a German engineer.  

You shouldn't be surprised with the responses you receive when you say what you said.

And we should all let it go at this point... I'd say some of the responses to JJ have pushed the boundaries too.

I certainly don't think what JJ has done approaches some of the other things we've experienced on this board.  Perhaps the timing of it could be better because while some are riding an euphoric high on the moves he's there protesting loudly so you might feel slightly more offended than you would in other circumstances.

So then...

Take care JJ. See you next year. :thumbsup:

As a side note, people react to emotional trauma in many different ways. With the season that the Sabres have put us as fans through, I have no objection to any means of coping/dealing with this dumpster fire. If you want to watch real NHL hockey for a little while, more power to you.

Thanks. I'm not going anywhere.  ;)

I understand having an interest in the local team.  And I am a fan of the sport and on any given night I'll watch hockey between any two teams and I'll more than likely root for one team over the other.  Except in certain circumstances like Boston vs. Leafs where I just root for the termination of both teams.

That said.. I criticized you for your approach.  Saying that Murray checked out was cuckoo.  The Sabres plan has not been altered.  I think, at this point, it's being executed with the precision of a German engineer.  

You shouldn't be surprised with the responses you receive when you say what you said.

And we should all let it go at this point... I'd say some of the responses to JJ have pushed the boundaries too.

I certainly don't think what JJ has done approaches some of the other things we've experienced on this board.  Perhaps the timing of it could be better because while some are riding an euphoric high on the moves he's there protesting loudly so you might feel slightly more offended than you would in other circumstances.

So then...

Fair enough. Perhaps that's didn't come out like I intended when I said Murray is mailing it in. Of course it's part of his plan. I just think that if he dismantled whatever was left of this team to ensure a 30th place finish like some have said, I don't think it was necessary. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.