qwksndmonster

I really just wish developers/publishers (really not sure which is to blame for DLC...I tend to think publishers) would just charge more for a game but release the whole thing at once. Something about knowingly buying an incomplete game just riles me up. Games are a lot more expensive to produce today, I get that, so I understand cost to consumers going up. But be honest about it.

I really just wish developers/publishers (really not sure which is to blame for DLC...I tend to think publishers) would just charge more for a game but release the whole thing at once. Something about knowingly buying an incomplete game just riles me up. Games are a lot more expensive to produce today, I get that, so I understand cost to consumers going up. But be honest about it.

I think a part of it is the insane scheduling on the producer's side. I know we deal with it to a small extent with our desktop/mobile gaming.. AAA and console games are just that on steroids. They set a release date that is not conservative enough, and then, despite slave driving the devs and designers, it's just not going to be fully finished/debugged and ready to go by launch.

So rather than releasing a full game with some bugs or cutingt back content, or simply pushing release back a few months, they kill two birds with one stone  by releasing "on time" and then charging out the butthole for patches and additional finished content. They also keep their finger on the pulse of the market this way, so they can squirm around and appeal to newer trends or backtrack some of their gameplay. 

I know some AAA devs... they are just in "crunch mode" 24/7. There are no breaks. Gotta make those absurd dates and charge too much... sweet sweet money... 

Like any industry, I suppose, but it's creating a nasty backlash from consumers. Might bite them pretty hard in the end. I hope it does. 

Can you use some of the figures for those games on multiple systems?  Basically, can your kid take it over to his/her friend's house and still use it?

As long as it's the right system, yep! My coworkers "level up" their characters and whatever and bring them in and play them against each other here. I look at them as pretty memory cards. 

And mostly, you don't need one to play. I think it's only a mario party game that you need an amiibo to play. 

A decent article 'bout them : http://www.wired.com/2014/12/amiibo-postmortem/

Can you use some of the figures for those games on multiple systems?  Basically, can your kid take it over to his/her friend's house and still use it?

As long as it's the right system, yep! My coworkers "level up" their characters and whatever and bring them in and play them against each other here. I look at them as pretty memory cards. 

And mostly, you don't need one to play. I think it's only a mario party game that you need an amiibo to play. 

A decent article 'bout them : http://www.wired.com/2014/12/amiibo-postmortem/

Yes, and Josie got to this before I did, but the Skylanders store their levels in the figurine.  I found one at the thrift store in a $1.00 grab bag that had been leveled up previously.

The Mario characters do unlock special features and characters in many games.  Mario Kart for sure.  I think/hope there's alot of room for expanding their capabilities in the future.

Anyone from Sabrespace on Black Ops 3?  Would love some teammates for Zombies and Multiplayer that are completely useless. 

Platform?  I was thinking about getting it.  I haven't been crazy about playing FPS games over the past year but I might give it a shot.  I have friends who are playing too.

Mostly disappointed with games these days that seem to be bug ridden and poorly executed.  I do think the allure of big money is causing some seriously poor decision makers among the executives at these companies.  It should settle itself down sometime in the future but I think it will take awhile.

I've played a few hours of Fallout 4. The beginning of this game is baaaad.

First of all: your character is voiced. I've often thought that voicing all the NPCs in bethesda RPGs is a waste. It severely cuts down on the amount of choice available to the player. Voicing the player character is even worse, and will make modding that much more difficult.

Fallout games have always been (for me) about roleplaying as different characters. In Fallout 4 I rarely agree with my character's external voice, and it ruins my ability to imagine an internal voice.

Anyways: The first hour of the game sees your character reacting to giant roaches with very real fear. 20 minutes later, you're mowing down tens of people without a second thought.

I've heard that the game gets much better, but I don't really have time to keep playing. Very disappointed so far.

The mechanics feel awesome, though. Movement no longer has that lurching quality to it, and you can loot containers without going into a menu that stops the world. This gives the game much better flow.

The UI when using in-game computers is a joke, though. No excuse for that.

I've played a few hours of Fallout 4. The beginning of this game is baaaad.

First of all: your character is voiced. I've often thought that voicing all the NPCs in bethesda RPGs is a waste. It severely cuts down on the amount of choice available to the player. Voicing the player character is even worse, and will make modding that much more difficult.

Fallout games have always been (for me) about roleplaying as different characters. In Fallout 4 I rarely agree with my character's external voice, and it ruins my ability to imagine an internal voice.

Anyways: The first hour of the game sees your character reacting to giant roaches with very real fear. 20 minutes later, you're mowing down tens of people without a second thought.

I've heard that the game gets much better, but I don't really have time to keep playing. Very disappointed so far.

The mechanics feel awesome, though. Movement no longer has that lurching quality to it, and you can loot containers without going into a menu that stops the world. This gives the game much better flow.

The UI when using in-game computers is a joke, though. No excuse for that.

Is there an option to mute the dialogue? I normally always read the subtitles and cut the spoken dialogue short anyway. Then again, I grew up on purely text-based RPGs, so it's really how I've always done it.

Is there an option to mute the dialogue? I normally always read the subtitles and cut the spoken dialogue short anyway. Then again, I grew up on purely text-based RPGs, so it's really how I've always done it.

I'm not sure.  It makes me angry because so much effort was put into the voiced conversations.  I think that you should voice a character's intro to give them a flavor and then just have the rest of their dialogue be text.  That way the writers aren't constrained and they can freely write 10 varied and whacky responses instead of 2-4 generally boring responses.  That actually frees up the writing for quests as well.  AAA games are so frustrating because they put all the emphasis on graphics and voice acting when all I want is story, aesthetics, and immersion.

I'm not sure. It makes me angry because so much effort was put into the voiced conversations. I think that you should voice a character's intro to give them a flavor and then just have the rest of their dialogue be text. That way the writers aren't constrained and they can freely write 10 varied and whacky responses instead of 2-4 generally boring responses. That actually frees up the writing for quests as well. AAA games are so frustrating because they put all the emphasis on graphics and voice acting when all I want is story, aesthetics, and immersion.

Ever play any of the classic CRPGs like Planescape or Baldur's Gate? Seem right up your alley.

Platform?  I was thinking about getting it.  I haven't been crazy about playing FPS games over the past year but I might give it a shot.  I have friends who are playing too.

Mostly disappointed with games these days that seem to be bug ridden and poorly executed.  I do think the allure of big money is causing some seriously poor decision makers among the executives at these companies.  It should settle itself down sometime in the future but I think it will take awhile.

PS4.  The game is well done. I don't find it buggy at all. They need more multiplayer maps and more zombie maps. 

Which brings me to Der Reise.  The zombie map of awesome sauce. Love this map and nazi zombies til all hours of the morning. My buddy got married this summer, for our personal bacherlor party, him and I got wegmans subs for lunch, steak and sides for dinner. Bought beer and rum with mixers.  We played Zombies for 12 hours straight. 

On a side note, his wife is so awesome and my current GF might just be the maid of honor from that wedding... but anyways NAZI ZOMBIES!!!

PS4.  The game is well done. I don't find it buggy at all. They need more multiplayer maps and more zombie maps. 

Which brings me to Der Reise.  The zombie map of awesome sauce. Love this map and nazi zombies til all hours of the morning. My buddy got married this summer, for our personal bacherlor party, him and I got wegmans subs for lunch, steak and sides for dinner. Bought beer and rum with mixers.  We played Zombies for 12 hours straight. 

On a side note, his wife is so awesome and my current GF might just be the maid of honor from that wedding... but anyways NAZI ZOMBIES!!!

Ahh XBOne for me so no playing.

I've heard from friends who are happy with this release.  The bugginess I refer to is in games like NHL 16 (awful), Battle front, etc.

I'm pretty sure I am in at this point.. just need to find the right deal. :)

Last night I gave up on NHL 16.  They have done so much to try and make the game better that they've succeeding in making it awful.  The network performance is terrible, the AI is brutal (I've had my defense score numerous goals on my own net in many ways). The players skate right past pucks and don't pick them up (and yet they introduced seamless puck pickups this year).  I can't even begin to go on about just how awful it is. 

Each tuner they've released this year has made the game WORSE to play.  It's kind of amazing.  I used to play the game exclusively (NHL 13).  I skipped 14 because I hated the controls and 15 I purchased for XB One and it was terrible. I had hoped the 2nd game on this generation console would be much improved and I was horribly incorrect.  The beta play seemed so good too.  I have no idea what happened between the beta and launch.. but never again will I drop a dime on it until I can read nothing but high praise in their forums.

Ahh XBOne for me so no playing.

I've heard from friends who are happy with this release. The bugginess I refer to is in games like NHL 16 (awful), Battle front, etc.

I'm pretty sure I am in at this point.. just need to find the right deal. :)

Last night I gave up on NHL 16. They have done so much to try and make the game better that they've succeeding in making it awful. The network performance is terrible, the AI is brutal (I've had my defense score numerous goals on my own net in many ways). The players skate right past pucks and don't pick them up (and yet they introduced seamless puck pickups this year). I can't even begin to go on about just how awful it is.

Each tuner they've released this year has made the game WORSE to play. It's kind of amazing. I used to play the game exclusively (NHL 13). I skipped 14 because I hated the controls and 15 I purchased for XB One and it was terrible. I had hoped the 2nd game on this generation console would be much improved and I was horribly incorrect. The beta play seemed so good too. I have no idea what happened between the beta and launch.. but never again will I drop a dime on it until I can read nothing but high praise in their forums.

EA has no competition in the hockey market. When 2k stopped making hockey games, EA stopped making serious improvements. Now, I'll admit I pick up the latest edition each year, but right now I have no plans to buy NHL 17. Main reason I bought this years game was for Eichel. NHL is now w/ Madden. It's a title I'll pick up every 3 or 4 years.

They're bring 8 PS2 games to PS4

Dark Cloud - $14.99

Grand Theft Auto III - $14.99

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - $14.99

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - $14.99

Rogue Galaxy - $14.99

The Mark of Kri - $14.99

Twisted Metal: Black - $9.99

War of the Monsters - $9.99

Dark Cloud - $14.99

Rogue Galaxy - $14.99

The Mark of Kri - $14.99

That's it? What a poor selection! I'm sure they're going to add to that list, but they could've opened w/ a bang, not a yawn.... 

Great year for games on the PS4............Bloodbourne, The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4...........Add my addiction to FIFA and its been a great year for video games

Have the first 2 you mentioned. Bloodbourne is bad arss. I bought The Witcher 3 on Black Friday for $25. Waiting until Christmas to play it though. And man, I want Fallout 4. But as many have mentioned, dlc is a big part today's gaming industry. In a year a special edition will be released w/ all dlc included, and it'll be the same price as the one in stores right now. Really considering waiting on it. 

I rarely play two rpg's at the same time. I like to stay focused on one. That's a reason I'm hesitant on picking up Fallout 4. I may give in though, but as I've said a year from now a hard copy will be released w/ all dlc included. Tough debate for myself. I really want to play it. Don't mind playing a short, action or adventure game along side an rpg. MGS 5 is supposed to be incredible. There's the Uncharted Collection, but have already played them on the PS3. The latest Batman looks great, but reviews are rather low in comparison to MGS 5. What do you guys suggest for short, action type game? 

Edited by Thanes16

That's it? What a poor selection! I'm sure they're going to add to that list, but they could've opened w/ a bang, not a yawn.... 

Have the first 2 you mentioned. Bloodbourne is bad arss. I bought The Witcher 3 on Black Friday for $25. Waiting until Christmas to play it though. And man, I want Fallout 4. But as many have mentioned, dlc is a big part today's gaming industry. In a year a special edition will be released w/ all dlc included, and it'll be the same price as the one in stores right now. Really considering waiting on it. 

the first DLC for the Witcher is very good.....Just bought the BloodBourner DLC but haven't played it yet

Here's one for all of the Final Fantasy 7 fans on this board. Latest footage to be released. 

Here's the potentially cruddy thing...

it's likely going to be episodic. 

http://kotaku.com/why-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-be-split-up-1746598619

I fear that may impact the open world exploration that I loved so much as a kid. Just hop in the Highwind, go level up on the Crashed Gelnika, fight some sand worms elsewhere, wander around Nibelheim, poke around the Golden Saucer. 

If they're doing rollout releases, how does that affect the unlockability/universe? 

I just smell massive money grab. I also realize that with the density they're claiming to use, they couldn't possibly fit the entirety of the first game in highly detailed absorption in one release. If it's awesome, I won't care. I just hope it isn't an agent to mediocrity.

Plus I'm afraid they revamped the battle system. It looks like they're using the FF15 engine heavily. I don't want a reboot. I want a remake. If we're going to remake this game, I want turn-based combat. The awesome atb/materia/limit break mechanics are an intrinsic part what made it a good game, not just the story.

Might not affect it negatively at all, and they know that since they're dancing on our nostalgic heartstrings, it'll pour millions without a second thought... 

Edited by Josie914

Dark Cloud - $14.99

Rogue Galaxy - $14.99

The Mark of Kri - $14.99

This is why I despise the new consoles.  Charging that much for games from 2 console generations ago?  Why not just have backwards compatibility?  Because ###### you, customer, that's why.

Edited by qwksndmonster

the first DLC for the Witcher is very good.....Just bought the BloodBourner DLC but haven't played it yet

I have Shadows of Mordor, Bloodbourne, NHL 16, Madden 16, The Last of Us Remastered and Destiny the Taken King. 1/2 the memory is already taken up. That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to pick up DLC. Loving the PS4. Glad to see another PS4 owner on the board. 

Edited by Thanes16

This is why I despise the new consoles.  Charging that much for games from 2 console generations ago?  Why not just have backwards compatibility?  Because ###### you, customer, that's why.

Agree the prices are far too high, but I guess it's different for my generation. Began playing games as a young kid w/ the original NES. As new systems were released they were unable to play older games. Man, the cartridges wouldn't even fit. It was cool to see backwards compatibility when the PS2 was released, but not having it is something I'm used to. Sucks having to hook up old systems to play classics, but that's the way it used to be. Not going to complain too much. Let me add I do think it would be great if the PS4 could simply play PS2 games. 

Agree the prices are far too high, but I guess it's different for my generation. Began playing games as a young kid w/ the original NES. As new systems were released they were unable to play older games. Man, the cartridges wouldn't even fit. It was cool to see backwards compatibility when the PS2 was released, but not having it is something I'm used to. Sucks having to hook up old systems to play classics, but that's the way it used to be. Not going to complain too much. Let me add I do think it would be great if the PS4 could simply play PS2 games. 

Ah, the benefits of being a PC gamer.  Everything is "backwards compatible"! :P

Right, backwards compatibility was a thing in 2000 when the PS2 was released.  Now the console makers don't bother because it helps them make a quick buck later on.

I'm glad that the PS2/Gamecube game libraries can be emulated these days.