qwksndmonster

I have all three consoles and a gaming PC.  Personally, I don't see much difference between my Xbox One and my PS4.  I'd go with whichever system has the most friends playing (if you like multiplayer) and which one has the better controller for you.

The Wii U is fun for Nintendo stuff, but I honestly kinda prefer playing the 3DS.  As far as PC vs Console goes, for me it really depends on the type of game.  I use my PC for PC-Only games and MMOs mostly; a lot of times I just prefer sitting in my recliner playing on a 65" TV with Surround Sound.  

I have all three consoles and a gaming PC.  Personally, I don't see much difference between my Xbox One and my PS4.  I'd go with whichever system has the most friends playing (if you like multiplayer) and which one has the better controller for you.

The Wii U is fun for Nintendo stuff, but I honestly kinda prefer playing the 3DS.  As far as PC vs Console goes, for me it really depends on the type of game.  I use my PC for PC-Only games and MMOs mostly; a lot of times I just prefer sitting in my recliner playing on a 65" TV with Surround Sound.  

Every now and then I see people talk about having all of these different systems.  Now I hope you don't take offense to this question, but how on earth do you find time for all of them?

Alright fellow gamers, have a quick question for ya. What mpbs do you recommend for gaming online? What about watching hockey games live online? See offers of 6, 12, 18, 24 and 45 mpbs from att uverse. 

Att Uverse said it has download of 24 Mpbs and upload of 3 Mpbs. This sufficient? 

Edited by Thanes16

So.. quick primer.

Uncompressed HD video is 18Mbps.  Everyone uses compression, so you'll do just fine with 15M.

The gaming thing is a different story.  it depends on the games.  The biggest impact to your gaming experience will be latency and packet loss.  The second biggest will be any limitations or contention for bandwidth on your upstream as it is usually lower than your downstream and your system will likely send a lot of data to the gaming server.

Latency - how long it takes the information to arrive and packet loss (how many packets have to be resent or might be lost for good) will impact the efficiency of your network connection.  This is why some network connection types are absolutely horrible for gaming, no matter what you do.

Still.. when it's all said and done.. 24/3 should be fine for you as long as you don't have a ton of connected devices using a lot of bandwidth.

So.. quick primer.

Uncompressed HD video is 18Mbps.  Everyone uses compression, so you'll do just fine with 15M.

The gaming thing is a different story.  it depends on the games.  The biggest impact to your gaming experience will be latency and packet loss.  The second biggest will be any limitations or contention for bandwidth on your upstream as it is usually lower than your downstream and your system will likely send a lot of data to the gaming server.

Latency - how long it takes the information to arrive and packet loss (how many packets have to be resent or might be lost for good) will impact the efficiency of your network connection.  This is why some network connection types are absolutely horrible for gaming, no matter what you do.

Still.. when it's all said and done.. 24/3 should be fine for you as long as you don't have a ton of connected devices using a lot of bandwidth.

Appreciate the info!

Every now and then I see people talk about having all of these different systems.  Now I hope you don't take offense to this question, but how on earth do you find time for all of them?

Haha, I don't really.  The Wii U is pretty much just for Nintendo Exclusives, the Xbox One is mine, while the PS4 is my wife's.  We're both into gaming, and have two TVs mounted side by side so we can play at the same time.  Decided to go with all 3 instead of like 2 Xbox Ones so we can play all the exclusives.

NHL froze on the Sim screen after the trade deadline for me the other day. Didn't think anything of it, I was done playing anyway, so I turned it off. Well guess what! Yup! Still frozen! This has never happened before and I'm pretty pissed off.

I can load my Be a GM, and can change my lines, and settings. As soon as I try to advance a day on the calendar it says simulating and it never advances! I tried every fix I could find online. Nothing worked, obviously. Looks like I'm being forced into retirement.

NHL froze on the Sim screen after the trade deadline for me the other day. Didn't think anything of it, I was done playing anyway, so I turned it off. Well guess what! Yup! Still frozen! This has never happened before and I'm pretty pissed off.

I can load my Be a GM, and can change my lines, and settings. As soon as I try to advance a day on the calendar it says simulating and it never advances! I tried every fix I could find online. Nothing worked, obviously. Looks like I'm being forced into retirement.

That really bites. Which system do you have? Got the red ring of death 3 times in the early years of the 360. Ever since then I've been a little paranoid w/ consoles I own. Hearing a funny noise, a game freezing, load time slower than usual, etc.... gets me thinking the system is about to be flatlined.

What bothers me is stores do no longer offer a direct 1 year warranty. When I'd a buy a 360, Gamestop would offer a warranty for 50 bucks. If the system crashed, I could return it to the Gamestop I purchased the system. They'd give me a new one and offer me another 1 year warranty. This is no longer practiced. Sure, warranties are offered, but to my understanding it's through a third line party and involves shipping and handling. I gamble now. Buy a system and hope everything goes well. Have never had difficulties w/ Sony. 

When things are good for ya, pull a Jordan and come out of retirement. Guy pulled it off two times. 

That really bites. Which system do you have? Got the red ring of death 3 times in the early years of the 360. Ever since then I've been a little paranoid w/ consoles I own. Hearing a funny noise, a game freezing, load time slower than usual, etc.... gets me thinking the system is about to be flatlined.

What bothers me is stores do no longer offer a direct 1 year warranty. When I'd a buy a 360, Gamestop would offer a warranty for 50 bucks. If the system crashed, I could return it to the Gamestop I purchased the system. They'd give me a new one and offer me another 1 year warranty. This is no longer practiced. Sure, warranties are offered, but to my understanding it's through a third line party and involves shipping and handling. I gamble now. Buy a system and hope everything goes well. Have never had difficulties w/ Sony.

When things are good for ya, pull a Jordan and come out of retirement. Guy pulled it off two times.

PS3.

PS3.

Time to go PS4. Only complaint I have is for some reason or another it's having difficulty w/ connecting to the internet. PS3, when hooked up, works great. Same goes for the Wii U. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking about switching providers. Interested in uverse, but prices for all companies are getting insane. I'm currently w/ Comcast. They stink. 

:lol: I do the same thing every summer. Kind of fun actually. Brings back the days when there were no roster updates and online gameplay. Would spend hours fixing rosters for every team. Haven't purchased Madden in a while. W/ the Bills going in an entirely new direction and Madden being on the PS4 for more than one year, may have to pick that up. Miss NCAA Football... :(

And yes, NHL 16 is a must buy this year. W/ modes/features returning + who knows what else for the PS4 and Xbox One, can't pass it up. 

Before the draft/trades went down, I had McDavid on the team. Only because Eichel wasn't in the game. Also traded Grigorenko + a late 1st for O'Reilly w/ all the 'what if' going on. Rather close to what actually went down.  Now it's no longer fantasy. It's for real!  

After making the trade for O'Reilly, placed him first line RW, McDavid first line C and Kane first line LW. 

Have quite a few changes to make! 

Do you only play sport games? If so, give Bloodborne, The Last of Us or Shadow of Mordor a try to get a taste of what the gaming world has to offer.

:doh: First two mentioned are PS4 only. Forgot about that. What system do you have?

Sorry, forgot all about this post. Yes, I have PS4, and NHL, Madden, NBA are the only games I buy each year and play. Lol. I do have GTA and COD (the newest ones), but I never play them. Just can't be patient enough with it to work. Which also tends to be a downfall with the sports games sometimes doing the GM Modes, I quickly start over, or if I go off script and it becomes too unrealistic, I have to start over.

I did the same thing in NHL...traded Grigorenko, Zadorov and a 1st round pick for O'Reilly. (No McGinn though.)

I have been updating the rosters each day, so it's all 100% to how it is now...but when I start a new GM mode, some players disappear. It's weird.

Only thing that sucks is, unlike Madden where you can control all 32 teams, in NHL the draft never goes how you want it, obviously. So I put all the 18+ players on their NHL/AHL team, and then I make sure I get some of the top draft picks to trade them back to the right team. (I trade 1st round picks to Edmonton for their 1st, draft McDavid, then trade him back for my picks that I gave up to get him in the draft.)

Some things I noticed...that Austin Lotz kid we are bringing to D-camp, he ends up being a high first round pick. Lol. Grigorenko ends up being a beast. Eichel, based off McDavid's stats, is pretty good. McDavid is a 74, Eichel a 73, but his defense is a little better, McDavid's offense is a little better. I just hate that Bailey and Baptiste get to 24-25 before they are even in the mid-70's. That's why it sucked not having the ability to control your AHL team and development them. Legwand is severely overrated. Lehner is quite a beast. ROR is a monster, as is Kane. Ennis and Foligno develop nicely. Bogosian is an absolute stud.

The Sabres roster in this game has gotten so much better in the last week or so, as has the Amerks team. I can't wait until the new game comes out, I'll actually be able to play as the Sabres online and crush people. I just hope they get some respect in the ratings, Buffalo teams always get screwed.

(Same with the Bills...they should be much, much better in Madden.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

Nintendo to begin manufacturing the NX, it's next console, in October. :(

I really like the Wii U....

Don't worry. I'm sure it will be very similar to the last system since Nintendo is known for keeping their systems consistent. Edited by ROC Sabres

Isn't that an awfully quick turnaround for Nintendo? The Wii U hasn't been out very long. They must be scrambling for ideas, trying to regain relevance in the console market.

Yea, the Wii U seems like a pretty big flop in the grand scheme of things. Personally I think Nintendo should just become a full time game developer and forego consoles entirely (they can stay in the mobile market with hardware).

Did not know a number of movies based on video games are in the works. Now, a few have been in the works for a while, but keep falling a part. Here's a few I really hope workout. Granted, a number of movies based on video games flat out tanked. Doom, Mario Bros, MK: Annihilation, Lara Craft: Tomb Raider, etc....

Metal Gear Solid - One of my fall time favorites. If they could find the right guy to play Snake or Solid Snake, depends on where   they'd start story, it could be awesome. Any suggestions? 

Shadow of the Colossus - Enjoy fantasy type movies. Have watched movies like Willow, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, The Never Ending Story, etc.... countless times. 

The Last of Us - Game was so epic I almost don't want a movie to be made. Wonder what direction they'd go w/ it. Make a new story or loosely follow the one in the game? Enjoyed The Last of Us so much I'm not sure if I want a sequel made. Would only consider the idea if it didn't involve Joel and Ellie. Their story is complete. 

Warcraft - Admit I've never played the game before, so I have no idea what it'd be about. But as mentioned, I enjoy fantasy movies. Any thoughts?

Uncharted - The "Indiana Jones" game so many hoped for. Played all 3 x amount of times. Could be the "Indiana Jones" movie many pulled for back in 2008. Looking forward to Uncharted 4. Gulp, could be the end of Drake. 

What do you guys think? Interested in any of the above? Would like to hear your thoughts. 

Edited by Thanes16

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't that an awfully quick turnaround for Nintendo?  The Wii U hasn't been out very long.  They must be scrambling for ideas, trying to regain relevance in the console market.

The WiiU is way better then the Wii, its biggest game is coming out this Christmas I think, the new Zelda

The WiiU is way better then the Wii, its biggest game is coming out this Christmas I think, the new Zelda

Sadly, Zelda Wii U has been delayed to early 2016. Nintendo has claimed "several new possibilities" as a reason why. Zelda is headed in a new direction for the series. For the first time it will have true open world type gameplay. Something to be excited about it. Recently the annual E3 was held. Gaming companies give previews, updates, plans, etc.... for more than 2015. However, Nintendo's idea is of E3 is to only show games they plan to release in 2015. Not provide any type of info for 2016. They haven't really done this before. Nintendo did provide an early trailer for Zelda Wii U at the 2014 E3, so that's not entirely true. Game I'm looking forward to the most on the Wii U in 2015 is Xenoblade Chronicles X. Have my fingers crossed Zelda Wii U will actually be released early 2016. Hope it's not delayed for the possible launch of the NX system. May run on both consoles.