qwksndmonster

The backwards compatibility issue these days is generally centered more on the changes in the core processing architectures than who wants to make a buck.  The Xbox One changed it's CPU as did the PS4 if I am not mistaken.  The older generation of CPU simply was not powerful enough.  In addition, at least for Microsoft, they were focused on homogenizing their operating systems and that also necessitated a code base change.

Thus the emulators need to be built to play them again.  So Microsoft has the 360 emulator now.

The problem with being a PC gamer is the constantly sliding scale to which games are built.  So you can have backwards compatibility but the longevity of hardware is much much shorter.  So, if you have the money to drop on replacing equipment you will be fine. Granted, with the increased requirements usually comes some amazing visuals but the core of a great game is not based on visuals alone.

I know Nintendo isn't fashionable these days, but of the "big 3" consoles, they do compatibility between systems better than anyone.  It goes all the way back to the Super Nintendo, which had a Game Boy adapter, which I still have and use.  The Wii was backward compatible with the GameCube games.  One of the main reasons I got a Wii U was that is was backward compatible with the Wii games.  I probably have 60 Wii games plus downloaded content.  The setup of the Wii U was super easy in transferring everything from the Wii to the Wii U so I have everything I acquired with the Wii and can still play it.  I then had an empty, mostly worthless shell of a Wii, which I modded and now have all the Dragon Warrior games and several other of my all time favorites to play and share with my kids.  I'm very happy with how everything worked out overall with the systems I currently own.

I have Shadows of Mordor, Bloodbourne, NHL 16, Madden 16, The Last of Us Remastered and Destiny the Taken King. 1/2 the memory is already taken up. That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to pick up DLC. Loving the PS4. Glad to see another PS4 owner on the board. 

I want to get Bloodbourne at some point. Right now I am fully comitted to Nazi Zombies and Black Ops III multiplayer.  Really enjoying the changes in game play.

I want to get Bloodbourne at some point. Right now I am fully comitted to Nazi Zombies and Black Ops III multiplayer.  Really enjoying the changes in game play.

And when you do pick up Bloodbourne, be ready to have problems w/ losing track of time. This is a game you will not be disappointed w/. 

This is an off the grid title, but has anyone played "Child of Light"?  I downloaded it from the Nintendo E-Shop a couple weeks ago (on sale for $7.49 at the time) and it is an excellent game.  It's a puzzle/turn based RPG game, available on many platforms (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_of_Light).  Made by Ubisoft, the art and writing are awesome.  I also completely finished Ubisoft's "Beyond Good and Evil" back in my GameCube days, which was also great.  My wife recently downloaded Ubisoft's "Valiant Hearts: The Great War" on her phone and loves playing it.  Needless to say, my eyes are opened to the high quality of Ubisoft's work.

Not Ubisoft related, I also recently got "Xenoblade Chronicles X" and "Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition" (includes all the DLC).  Both are great so far, but I've mostly been playing "Child of Light" when I do play video games these days. 

I just started replaying Arkham City last week.  Such a great game.  I had a bunch of the DLC, but no clue if it was all of it or not.

My understanding: If it's the "Game of the Year" edition it includes all the DLC for PlayStation or Xbox.  For some reason it's the "Armored Edition" for Wii U.  I guess (after further research) the reason is that the Wii U version has a little extra (from an Amazon review):

"Armored Edition" means Batman and Catwoman have special armor that isn't available in the other editions of the game. This armor comes with an ability to activate it and go into "BAT" mode after you've absorbed enough kinetic energy. In this mode, you'll move faster and hit harder for a short period of time. It's activated with a button on the gamepad screen, which is conveniently located in the top-left corner.

The utilization of the gamepad screen is a major addition to the game that is not available in other versions. It acts as the menu system for the game, an interactive map with waypoint ability and sonar capabilities, and in a number of different ways based on the tools being used. It's a great way of utilizing the second screen, and a big improvement.

I have it on PS3 and I bought it way back on its release date.  So it's definitely not a game of the year edition... unless the developer was very arrogant and knew that way in advance.

I'm sure it doesn't work this way (doesn't sound like it either), but you should be able to get all the DLC since they're giving it away now.  I mean, I paid $12 for the game that includes all the DLC  :ph34r:  And there is ALOT of it.  Wiki:

New purchases of the game for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 are provided with a unique code that unlocks the "Catwoman" DLC, enabling a series of missions for Catwoman, with unique weapons and moves.[38][134] Although the missions were presented as part of the main game, on October 13, 2011, Warner Bros. announced that it would be restricted to new purchases.[36][134] Users can also purchase the content separately. It was later announced that pre-owned copies purchased from GameStop would contain the necessary unlock code.[135] A Warner Bros. rep confirmed that playing as Catwoman would not be required to complete the game.[136] The Catwoman DLC also contains two alternate skins for the character: her appearances from The Animated Series and Batman: The Long Halloween.[137] The PC version of the game includes the DLC, requiring no downloads or further installs to access.[38]

Additional DLC packs were later released. The "Nightwing" pack, released on November 1, 2011, includes Batman's ally Nightwing as a playable character for the game's challenge maps, an Animated Series alternative skin for the character,[44] and two more challenge maps: "Wayne Manor" and "Main Hall".[138] The "Robin" pack was released on November 22, 2011, and contains the Robin pre-order content.[139] A "Skins" pack containing all of the alternate Batman pre-order skins was released on December 6, 2011.[140] Another pack was announced for release on December 20, 2011, containing the pre-order "Iceberg Lounge" and "Joker's Carnival" challenge maps, and a completely new challenge map: "Batcave".[141] On December 19, 2011, a new Batman skin was released—based on the character's outfit from Batman Incorporated—to download for free on all platforms.[142]

On October 23, 2011, an official map app was made available to purchase on the iOS App Store that contains maps for Arkham City, the locations of in-game collectibles, and the solutions to the Riddler's riddles.[143]

"Harley Quinn's Revenge", a story based campaign expansion, was released on May 29, 2012, for the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, with a PC version coming out a week later. The campaign features a new story, new areas, new enemies, and both Batman and Robin as playable characters. The story takes place two weeks after the events of Arkham City. The mega prison has since been evacuated, but Quinn returns and sets up in Joker's former base.[45]The game follows Robin's search for Batman, who has gone missing while hunting Quinn;[37][45] Batman has been acting differently following the end of the main game story, concerning his allies.[144] On the same day, it was announced that all of the released DLC, including "Harley Quinn's Revenge", would be made available as part of the Arkham City Game of the Year edition.[37][109]

Thumbs up for everyone mentioning Bloodborne, best game to come out since Dark Souls in my opinion. There's no company better at building a world that is disgusting yet beautiful. The recent DLC is even better than the main game in my opinion. As of right now I'm enjoying going back and playing Uncharted 1,2, and 3 on the remastered collection. Fantastic games that are just bottom line fun to play.

Thumbs up for everyone mentioning Bloodborne, best game to come out since Dark Souls in my opinion. There's no company better at building a world that is disgusting yet beautiful. The recent DLC is even better than the main game in my opinion. As of right now I'm enjoying going back and playing Uncharted 1,2, and 3 on the remastered collection. Fantastic games that are just bottom line fun to play.

I enjoyed the Uncharted Trilogy. Have a question though. Have you played Metal Gear Solid V? I need a "side" game. A lot of my gaming time will be w/ The Witcher 3, but when playing rpg's/long adventure games I like to play a short, little thinking involved type game at the same time. So what do you recommend? Uncharted Collection on PS4 or MGS V?  

And of course this is a question for anyone that have played both. 

So what do you recommend? Uncharted Collection on PS4 or MGS V?  

And of course this is a question for anyone that have played both. 

As someone who played MGSV to completion, that's a tough question to answer. On one hand, MGSV mission structure is like Peace Walker. It's an open world but you choose missions from a menu, and they range from taking 10 minutes to an hour to complete. Some are longer story missions, others are just short side quests. But at the same time the gameplay for MGSV is so damn good and so perfectly refined once you get started it's hard to play anything else.

You're going to run into the same "problem" with Uncharted. The gameplay is so good and the chapters run in to each other, so it's hard to find a good place to stop.

MGSV being cheaper might seal the deal for you though. You really can't go wrong with either.

As someone who played MGSV to completion, that's a tough question to answer. On one hand, MGSV mission structure is like Peace Walker. It's an open world but you choose missions from a menu, and they range from taking 10 minutes to an hour to complete. Some are longer story missions, others are just short side quests. But at the same time the gameplay for MGSV is so damn good and so perfectly refined once you get started it's hard to play anything else.

You're going to run into the same "problem" with Uncharted. The gameplay is so good and the chapters run in to each other, so it's hard to find a good place to stop.

MGSV being cheaper might seal the deal for you though. You really can't go wrong with either.

Thanks for the info!  :thumbsup:  I've been a fan of the MGS series since the PS1, so I may flip a coin on this one. Wish they'd put the HD MGS collection on the PS4. Would not hesitate to pick that up. 

Going back and playing The Last of Us on grounded mode. As someone who platinums most games I really enjoy, I'm up to 35 now, I usually beat games into submission. But grounded mode is no joke. Nothing says tension like one bullet in your shotgun, a brick in your hand, and 5 looters ready to shoot anything that moves in front of you and safety.

Screw The Last of Us. Never played it. Never will.

I have an unjustified hate for that game purely because it started as a Jak & Daxter project and then warped into The Last of Us over time... Although the early art for the Jak & Daxter game might actually mean that scrapping the project was a blessing in disguise.

Missing out on one of the great all time games, in story as well as gameplay and setting. My girlfriend, who hates video games with a passion, gladly watched every second of me playing that game. It really pulls you in, but man is it depressing.

I know it's a great game but I'm still bitter. Plus I'm pretty well over the humans killing humans games except Call of Duty (which is the ultimate humans killing humans game), but I only play it as a means to keep in touch with my brother.

Since we're not getting a new Jak I might buy the Ratchet and Clank for PS4 when it comes out. Never played that series but I imagine it's similar.

Missing out on one of the great all time games, in story as well as gameplay and setting. My girlfriend, who hates video games with a passion, gladly watched every second of me playing that game. It really pulls you in, but man is it depressing.

Well said. Last of Us was epic. A clear must play. Couldn't put the controller down after I started playing it.

Last of us is another game that really wants to be a movie. The difference between LoU and the many failures that came before it is that the developers actually knew how to make a good movie. The gameplay was okay, but the story and setting were the fun parts.

Edited by qwksndmonster

When it comes to the gameplay of TLoU, it's really only fun if you play on the harder difficulties in my opinion. Running around blasting everything with basically unlimited ammo kills the tone of the game. Whereas on the harder difficulties, you're scrounging for every shotgun shell, arrow, and crafting material. They nailed the hopelessness of a 20 year post apocalyptic world perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...