qwksndmonster

I'll admit to despising the Call of Duty series now, but back in middle school and high school I spent hundreds of hours playing them.

My rankings for the games I've played a lot:

1) Modern Warfare

2) Modern Warfare 2

3) Black Ops

4) WaW

MW was a perfectly balanced masterpiece.  It's up there with Counter Strike, the fps of my childhood and TF2, the fps of my manhood.

Haven't played it, is that the newest one? I haven't played them since Black Ops 2

Really? That game had the best maps IMO. Plus the kill streaks were still the normal 3-5-7 and not the 3-4-5-6-22-85 they have now 

I agree that the maps were fun.  Half the fun came with how broken they were.  I have fond memories of glitching around them in private matches with my friends.  The huge ones were also great for games of hide and seek.  But as far as being good maps for competitive matches? No way.  They were designed to benefit camping and generally drove me mad.

WaW was the least balanced of them all.  The guns you unlocked at level 65 were significantly better than the guns you started with.  Bouncing betties were absurdly OP.  The vehicles were a joke.  I remember dudes in tanks regularly getting 20+ kill streaks.  Just hated that game.

I hated the glitches, what I did like was the space. I don't like camping (who does?) but I love how many places there were to slink around in those maps. There was so much cover, different ways around the maps, etc. The maps now are just so small and combine that with COD's tendency to make every map kind of left (cover)-forward (giant open space here)-right (cover), they get boring and predictable. I do remember the WaW gun unlocking being a bitch though, and bouncing betties blew.

MW2 was awesome, definitely at the tops of my list.

Games I'm playing now; A) Rome Total War II, empire edition.

B) NHL 2015

I can't recommend Rome 2 enough. If you've ever played AOE, it's like that but much, much more detailed economically, politically, and the battle sequences are unrivaled in any strategy game.

I like NHL15 a lot, mostly because this is the first year I have an EASHL player/team. Definitely the saving grace for that game

Extremely quick list of all-time major platform games that I've played (excluding sports games because those are hard to mix in):

1. Jak 3 for PS2

2. Zelda: Ocarina of Time for N64

3. Zelda: Skyward Sword for Wii

4. COD: Advanced Warfare for PS4

Good man Tank.

Never played Skyward Sword, but Twilight Princess was probably my favorite game I've ever played. Hated Wind Waker, couldn't stand the graphics. They have a new one coming out soon that is supposed to be a free world game to rival Skyrim, I kinda wanna get a wii u just to play it.  

Good man Tank.

Never played Skyward Sword, but Twilight Princess was probably my favorite game I've ever played. Hated Wind Waker, couldn't stand the graphics. They have a new one coming out soon that is supposed to be a free world game to rival Skyrim, I kinda wanna get a wii u just to play it.

I was shocked at how great Skyward Sword was. Incredible gaming experience and fun open-world style that Nintendo perfected with Zelda. Excited about the Zelda Netflix series that's in the works.

I might show my age a little.

1) Command and Conquer: Red Alert

2) Half Life, including mods Team Fortress Classic and Firearms

3) Battlefield 1942, including mod Desert Combat

4) Goldeneye

5) Grand Theft Auto V

6) Doom II

7) Grand Theft Auto I

8) Papyrus' NASCAR Racing

9 a & b) C&C: Red Alert 2 and C&C: Generals

10) Duke Nukem 3D

11) Ivan "Iron Man" Stewart's Super Off Road (Arcade)

12) NHL '97

13) Terminator 2 (Arcade)

To illustrate my top choice, imagine being 12 years old.  Internet was dial up.  DVDs didn't exist.  Concordantly, videos playing a computer monitor were rare.  Even sounds were limited to cheapo sound effects. Soundtracks to games were mostly the quality of an SNES, 8 bit audio (I'm looking at you, Doom II).

You install the game in DOS, then the cold open starts.  Video?  The story of eliminating Hitler via time machine unfolds.  Your eyes widen, your breathing quickens, your knuckles whiten, then the award-winning audio and industrial metal soundtrack blows your hair back as ###### blows up on screen.  I'm surprised I didn't fall out of my chair and piss myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpvqn0fT1OY

Then you spend years playing the greatest real time strategy game of the era.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Command and Conquer was awesome! We had that and AOE on our first computer, and as kids they were the greatest games ever. You're probably 3-4 years older than me IKP, which is my brother's age (26?) so I grew up watching/learning all of those games with him. I loved the tesla coils in that game, coolest part.

Guess I should make a list too

1) Super Smash Bros (N64)

2) Pokemon: Red/Blue

3) Zelda: Twilight Princess

4) Zelda Ocarina of Time

5) Age of Empires (rate them all the same, AOE 3 was my favorite though, had the best online)

6) Goldeneye

7) COD 4

8) NHL 14

9) Rome Total war: 2

10) COD MWF 2

Special mention to Mario Kart for a great party game (if you've never played Beerio Kart/ Drink-and-Drive, it's a great party game)

I'll throw Soul Calibur II in that list too. I spent 4 months mowing lawns to buy that game; it was the first game I ever bought with money I earned, and it was worth every penny. Bought it originally because Link was in the game, such a cool character to play with too

I'll update my list with some extra thoughts and reminders from other posters:

1. Jak 3 for PS2
2. Zelda: Ocarina of Time for N64
3. Zelda: Skyward Sword for Wii
4. Super Smash Bros for N64

5. Madden 03

6. King of the Monsters for SNES

7. Pokemon Crystal

8. Age of Empires 2

9. NBA 2K12

10. NHL 14

11. GoldenEye

12. MVP Baseball 2004

1. Chrono Trigger - SNES

2. Legend of Zelda Link to the Past - SNES

3. NHL 94 - SNES

3. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time - N64

4. Golden Eye - N64

5. Metal Gear Solid - PS1

6. Final Fantasy 7 - PS1

7. Final Fantasy 10 - PS2

8. Madden - PS2

9. Metal Gear Solid 3 - PS2

10. Elder Scrolls Oblivion - PS3

11. The Last of Us - PS3 (Remastered on the PS4 is awesome)

12. NHL 14 - PS3

13. Uncharted - PS3

14. Mass Effect - PS3

14. Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword - Wii

15. Metroid Prime Trilogy - Wii

*Cool to see other Sabres fans enjoying video games. Like the lists that have been posted. Gaming has come a long way. 

Edited by thanes16

1. Chrono Trigger - SNES

2. Legend of Zelda Link to the Past - SNES

3. NHL 94 - SNES

3. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time - N64

4. Golden Eye - N64

5. Metal Gear Solid - PS1

6. Final Fantasy 7 - PS1

7. Final Fantasy 10 - PS2

8. Madden - PS2

9. Metal Gear Solid 3 - PS2

10. Elder Scrolls Oblivion - PS3

11. The Last of Us - PS3 (Remastered on the PS4 is awesome)

12. NHL 14 - PS3

13. Uncharted - PS3

14. Mass Effect - PS3

14. Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword - Wii

15. Metroid Prime Trilogy - Wii

*Cool to see other Sabres fans enjoying video games. Like the lists that have been posted. Gaming has come a long way. 

Looking at this list, and not seeing FFIII/FFVI on it is confusing to me.

I've never fully understood the craze over the newer Zelda games. Give me the original any day. The snes one was good too, but I never actually played that until it was at least ten years old.

Skyward Sword is the only modern one I cared for at all, and I LOVED it.

I still haven't gotten around to The Last of Us. Maybe because I'm still mad that it was a ripoff of their original ideas on Jak 4.

Looking at this list, and not seeing FFIII/FFVI on it is confusing to me.

Have been playing rpg's since the original NES. Don't have a reason why, but I've never played FFVI. Heard it's incredible. Maybe I'll pick it up for the Wii. In my opinion, the best rpg is Chrono Trigger. Honestly cannot tell you how many times I've gone through it. A true must play for rpg fans. 

Skyward Sword is the only modern one I cared for at all, and I LOVED it.

I still haven't gotten around to The Last of Us. Maybe because I'm still mad that it was a ripoff of their original ideas on Jak 4.

You gotta play The Last of Us. Do you have a PS4? If so, pick up the remastered version. The gameplay/story is addicting. One of those games you pick up and lose track of time when playing. And when you finally finish the game you just don't want it to be over. 

Edited by thanes16

You gotta play The Last of Us. Do you have a PS4? If so, pick up the remastered version. The gameplay/story is addicting. One of those games you pick up and lose track of time when playing. And when you finally finish the game you just don't want it to be over. 

I do have a PS4. I am torn on buying too many games that end once you finish the story. Is it open world at all? That's why I love Jak 3 so much. If there was a remastered Jak 3 for PS4 I would still be playing it.

Oh God, where to begin.  It's embarrassing, really.  PC for me, except where noted.

1. Postal 2

2. Skyrim

3. Bioshock

4. Call of Duty

5. I actually liked GTA IV

6. Mafia

7. Batman Arkham Asylum

8. Crysis

9. Half-Life

10. WII Bowling (any version)

Have been playing rpg's since the original NES. Don't have a reason why, but I've never played FFVI. Heard it's incredible. Maybe I'll pick it up for the Wii. In my opinion, the best rpg is Chrono Trigger. Honestly cannot tell you how many times I've gone through it. A true must play for rpg fans. 

If you loved Chrono Trigger, when you play FFVI, you will cry for not playing it sooner. It is 16-bit perfection.