Royal Blue Color - Why Has it Disappeared?

CallawaySabres

While it is nice to have sort of same logo back, it still bothers me to no end that they had to change the color from royal blue to almost black. And even though the Buffalo with cross swords is back, why did they have to add the outline? I am the first to admit that logos and colors are a BIG deal to me. The fact that I love the old Sabres uni more than any in the league makes it that much more difficult to swallow. There are probably 3 or 4 other other jersey I like more than ours right now so I am not just being biased to Buffalo...I REALLY love our original colors and logo. Does anyone know who the proper contact would be to make this suggestion? I can't think of a better time to introduce the colors than when our 2015 draft pick takes the stage. Want to make it a year from now when Buffalo hosts the draft, go right ahead.

000105318.jpg

It might have something to do with the "One Buffalo" concept. The idea was that similar to Pittsburgh, the city's sports teams all have the same color scheme so you can recognize "hey thats a pittsburgh fan cause they have yellow/black/white Penguins/Steelers/Pirates gear". Pegula has mentioned that he wants the Bills/Sabres to have the same deal with Blue/Gold, so the Sabres color and the Bills color will remain the same Navy blue until both teams change back to the Royal Blue.

It might have something to do with the "One Buffalo" concept. The idea was that similar to Pittsburgh, the city's sports teams all have the same color scheme so you can recognize "hey thats a pittsburgh fan cause they have yellow/black/white Penguins/Steelers/Pirates gear". Pegula has mentioned that he wants the Bills/Sabres to have the same deal with Blue/Gold, so the Sabres color and the Bills color will remain the same Navy blue until both teams change back to the Royal Blue.

What football team do you watch? :unsure:

USATSI_6891184_154511058_lowres.jpg

What football team do you watch? :unsure:

USATSI_6891184_154511058_lowres.jpg

Okay point taken. Maybe I was recalling that Pegula wanted to get both teams to the same color, but that the Sabres blue was different than Bills blue. I know it was something like that. :oops:

Is it possible that the Sabres jerseys can't be changed until a certain timeframe? IIRC, the third jersey design can only be changed every couple of years. Or I could be out in left field on this one...

NFL%20Jerseys%20Buffalo%20Bills%2094%20A

Apparently the one from 2000 - you know when Schobel and Edwards were still on the team. I hear Terrell Owens is gonna be a star for us next year. :bag:

Edited by Touched by Boyes

As for the old logo - the buffalo will always be going backward in a Western society. We read from left to right. That buffalo is looking right to left. That was a screw up in the original design. The gray is out of place. No need for 5 colors in any branding like an NHL team.

I expect this color will likely be reintroduced at some point. The old jerseys are the ones the fan base really wants and I have no doubt they'll deliver it to us. Probably right around the time the team is contending again.

I'd tank another full season to get the old jerseys back.  :ph34r:

About jerseys though, it's been explained that we had to keep the current Predator-3rd knock-offs for at least two seasons; does that mean at the end of the tank we get McEichel and new jerseys? 

000105318.jpg

Those socks are awesome, and the trim everywhere else actually matches the unis, no random grey thrown in. That is a pretty sight

I will throw a theory out there:

When I was in college, our colors were purple and orange. However, there is not a standard purple, so they unofficially changed uniforms to be navy blue, which you could find across different vendors with the same shade. I don't know if royal blue has as much discrepancy as purple, but that is a possibility. If you get your jerseys with a royal blue color, what is the likelihood of finding a t-shirt, cap, sweatshirt, ... all with the same shade of royal blue. It's easier to print ink in a certain color, than to find a consistent base fabric.

While it is nice to have sort of same logo back, it still bothers me to no end that they had to change the color from royal blue to almost black

000105318.jpg

Funny! I made a comment during the game last night watching at home, those jerseys look black!

Okay point taken. Maybe I was recalling that Pegula wanted to get both teams to the same color, but that the Sabres blue was different than Bills blue. I know it was something like that. :oops:

Is it possible that the Sabres jerseys can't be changed until a certain timeframe? IIRC, the third jersey design can only be changed every couple of years. Or I could be out in left field on this one...

NFL%20Jerseys%20Buffalo%20Bills%2094%20A

Apparently the one from 2000 - you know when Schobel and Edwards were still on the team. I hear Terrell Owens is gonna be a star for us next year. :bag:

I see those jerseys and hear Frank Sinatra. But where are the clowns. Send in the clowns...

Royal Blue never came back with the slug jerseys.  I think the modern jerseys are a modern take on the classic look, but one that uses that slug color palette.  That's when the grey trim was introduced too.

Not as the primary, but twice as alternate jerseys:

drury_briere_053107-227x300.jpg20100918-Interior-Rivet.jpg

IIRC, the move(s) from royal blue to dark (dark (GOD it was so dark)) blue(s) was/were based on the received wisdom (from AD WIZARDS) that the dark blue is a better look on TV.

From the mouth of one of the big three during the Golisano era (TG, LQ, DD), it was for merchandise sales purposes (at least, that was one of the biggest reasons.)  Navy sells better than royal.  Apparently, the slug was a big fashion seller outside of Buffalo (and even outside of hockey markets, all together.)

Sounds like I may be the only one who prefers the current darks to the 1970s version.

I don't mind the darker blue vs the royal blue so much as the gray that lines the logo and makes up the pit stains under the arms (I won't even get into the stupid cuffs on the turdburger jerseys). They should have eliminated all the gray as soon as they ditched the goathead jersey. At least it made some sense with the black and red color scheme but it is completely unnecessary with the blue and gold scheme.

Sounds like I may be the only one who prefers the current darks to the 1970s version.

I don't know about prefer, but I certainly don't mind the darks. I'd have to rank them darks/royal blue, Goatheads, the royal blue 3rds with the Pepsi script, the red Balckhawk-alike 3rds, turds, then slugs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.