Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Here's the Hughes saga broken down in tweets

nickellion79 ‏@nickellion79 5m5 minutes ago

@jchenelly you think he decides tonight if he is taking Bills offer or hitting the open market?

Joe Chenelly ‏@jchenelly 4m4 minutes ago

@TylerHoch1 It would only be my opinion, so I think there is an outside shot. But could not blame him for walking away.

Joe Chenelly ‏@jchenelly 3m3 minutes ago

@nickellion79 His people need to know very soon.

Tyler Hoch ‏@TylerHoch1 5m5 minutes ago

@jchenelly Shady deal probably helps the cause of him staying

0 replies 0 retweets 1 favorite 

@TylerHoch1 Yes, I know #Bills are counting on that to help in recruiting. That is why the news was leaked early. Philly was against leak.

nickellion79 ‏@nickellion79 4m4 minutes ago

@jchenelly is their meeting over?

Joe Chenelly ‏@jchenelly 2m2 minutes ago

@nickellion79 I'm not sure, but that was my impression.

Joe Chenelly ‏@jchenelly 44s44 seconds ago

@nickellion79 No nte rating note: Rex Ryan not at the meeting. His personality is famously attractive to players.

@HighRizaz19 It seems advisors feel they can get a lot more, but no disputing that could be simply negotiating tactics.

Joe Chenelly ‏@jchenelly now

@HighRizaz19 The Bills believe they've made a fair offer, and they openly acknowledge there may be others willing to overpay. They won't.

I put more of a premium on pass rushers than guard play, so I'll be really sad if we lose Hughes and sign Iupati for huge money. We're not beating the Patriots with a running game, we're beating them by making Brady's life miserable.

Agreed to a point.  If we could actually maintain possession though, it would make Brady's job harder.  So I think it's kind of a toss up.  Even if you have a marginal pass rusher opposite Mario, with Dareus and K. Williams, and our linebacking corp, and the blitzing dbs...it's almost plug and play over there as long as they've got some talent.  

Agreed to a point. If we could actually maintain possession though, it would make Brady's job harder. So I think it's kind of a toss up. Even if you have a marginal pass rusher opposite Mario, with Dareus and K. Williams, and our linebacking corp, and the blitzing dbs...it's almost plug and play over there as long as they've got some talent.

The reason I don't think possession is as good as beating Brady up is that holding the ball doesn't knock Brady off his game--he doesn't need the ball for 40 minutes to throw 4 TDs. But get him on the ground a lot? Then he, like almost every other pocket passer, starts getting happy feet and the timing gets all out of whack. I also think it's easier to find a guard in the middle of the draft than someone who can get you 10 sacks (even if the Bills are struggling with this). And finally, Mario isn't getting any younger, so I'd really like to have one edge rusher in place already for when Mario moves on.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

The thing is, Brady is so protected, even with our D the past few years, we haven't been able to really attack that offense. Fortunately, he will be retiring soon enough for when buffalo makes a move in the division, we are far off from a real contender, but if we can get consistent QB play, plug in a few grinders and open up the o playback then playoffs should not be out of reach soon

The reason I don't think possession is as good as beating Brady up is that holding the ball doesn't knock Brady off his game--he doesn't need the ball for 40 minutes to throw 4 TDs. But get him on the ground a lot? Then he, like almost every other pocket passer, starts getting happy feet and the timing gets all out of whack. I also think it's easier to find a guard in the middle of the draft than someone who can get you 10 sacks (even if the Bills are struggling with this). And finally, Mario isn't getting any younger, so I'd really like to have one edge rusher in place already for when Mario moves on.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hughes and think we should definitely pay the man.  I do agree that we need someone to fill in for Mario in the future, and I honestly think that person is going to be found in the draft.   I don't have a ton of confidence in this regime drafting O-lineman. anywhere in the draft. period.

The thing is, Brady is so protected, even with our D the past few years, we haven't been able to really attack that offense. Fortunately, he will be retiring soon enough for when buffalo makes a move in the division, we are far off from a real contender, but if we can get consistent QB play, plug in a few grinders and open up the o playback then playoffs should not be out of reach soon

I'm just looking at how the Giants beat them twice, and I think that's the best blueprint. You're also much more optimistic about Brady's retirement than I am. I think he stays 4-5 more years, and at that point our roster moved today will be largely irrelevant.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hughes and think we should definitely pay the man. I do agree that we need someone to fill in for Mario in the future, and I honestly think that person is going to be found in the draft. I don't have a ton of confidence in this regime drafting O-lineman. anywhere in the draft. period.

Guards *should* be easy to find dammit!

Bingo, that's the only way to really beat him.  The best way is like you said below,  have incredible front 4 pressure so that you still have adequate coverage downfield.   It's very difficult to beat a Def that has that kind of rush. then again you don't see Def that can do that consistently too much. When you do, they generally go pretty far even with average-above avg QB play. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Hughes and think we should definitely pay the man.  I do agree that we need someone to fill in for Mario in the future, and I honestly think that person is going to be found in the draft.   I don't have a ton of confidence in this regime drafting O-lineman. anywhere in the draft. period.

I really do not get this.  The Bills drafted 3 last year.  Henderson played all year.  Rookies, with the exception of very highly drafted ones, seldom make a huge impact in their first year.  We got one who did.  The other two have great pedigrees and should develop into serviceable players if not above average players.  This idea that every draft pick should contribute and perform at max level immediately is just unrealistic.  I wouldn't go overboard on trying to fill gaps on the Oline.  That play has more misses than hits in my opinion.  

Been nice knowing ya Hughes

@jchenelly: Jerry Hughes has decided to test the open market. #Bills #NFL #FreeAgency 

He's gonna get highly overpaid elsewhere and some team is gonna learn the hard way that he's not the pro-bowler he was this year without our dominant d-line to take pressure off him.

Edited by WildComrade

Been nice knowing ya Hughes

@jchenelly: Jerry Hughes has decided to test the open market. #Bills #NFL #FreeAgency

He's gonna get highly overpaid elsewhere and some team is gonna learn the hard way that he's not the pro-bowler he was this year without our dominant d-line to take pressure off him.

Bingo. Bring in somebody at a fraction of the cost and we won't skip a beat. Rexy got great production from aaron maybin a few years ago so I'm not worried about Hughes leaving one bit

I really do not get this.  The Bills drafted 3 last year.  Henderson played all year.  Rookies, with the exception of very highly drafted ones, seldom make a huge impact in their first year.  We got one who did.  The other two have great pedigrees and should develop into serviceable players if not above average players.  This idea that every draft pick should contribute and perform at max level immediately is just unrealistic.  I wouldn't go overboard on trying to fill gaps on the Oline.  That play has more misses than hits in my opinion.  

Did you watch the games last year?  Henderson was one of if not the worst rated Right tackle in all of football last year.  He had to have a TE or RB help chip on that side.  We drafted 3 Olineman (1 in the 2nd round), and none of them could stay in the starting lineup (I know Henderson played all 16 games, but he wouldn't have started on many other O-lines).  A 2nd round draft pick, especially one coming out of ALabama, the most pro-ready style school, should be able to step right into the starting line of any team.  The notion that any other of our picks should have is unrealistic, I get that.   

Bingo. Bring in somebody at a fraction of the cost and we won't skip a beat. Rexy got great production from aaron maybin a few years ago so I'm not worried about Hughes leaving one bit

Rex got a few sacks out of Maybin...but he also cut him. Let's not overstate what happened. As great as Rex is, he still needs talented players to work with to have an elite defense.

Rex got a few sacks out of Maybin...but he also cut him. Let's not overstate what happened. As great as Rex is, he still needs talented players to work with to have an elite defense.

He got production out him without the talents of Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, and marcel dareus. That's not an overstatement, that's a fact. Yes he did cut him and I don't know what the story was there, and then maybin went to Cincinnati to once again prove what a monumental bust he was. So the fact that rex got such great production out of maybin (on very few snaps btw) tells me that Hughes is very replaceable

He got production out him without the talents of Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, and marcel dareus. That's not an overstatement, that's a fact. Yes he did cut him and I don't know what the story was there, and then maybin went to Cincinnati to once again prove what a monumental bust he was. So the fact that rex got such great production out of maybin (on very few snaps btw) tells me that Hughes is very replaceable

The "great production" was the overstatement. You don't cut great production on a cheap contract.

The "great production" was the overstatement. You don't cut great production on a cheap contract.

Aaron maybin recorded 0 sacks in his 2 years in Buffalo. His first year in NY he recorded 6 sacks and led the team. Like I said, I don't know what happened his 2nd year in NY but I know one his knocks was always his work ethic. I trust rex Ryan will give us a top 5 defense with or without Hughes

Did you watch the games last year?  Henderson was one of if not the worst rated Right tackle in all of football last year.  He had to have a TE or RB help chip on that side.  We drafted 3 Olineman (1 in the 2nd round), and none of them could stay in the starting lineup (I know Henderson played all 16 games, but he wouldn't have started on many other O-lines).  A 2nd round draft pick, especially one coming out of ALabama, the most pro-ready style school, should be able to step right into the starting line of any team.  The notion that any other of our picks should have is unrealistic, I get that.   

This is the Fallacy, the 2nd overall pick couldn't do it so why should a 2nd rounder.  The jump from Alabama to the NFL or any college to the NFL is a huge leap in terms of speed, strength and athleticism.  Do some make immediate impact?  Yes, Glenn did it (although he plateued) last year, but those are exceptions, not the rule.  A 2nd rounder should contribute immediately on STs, situational play and specialty packages while shooting for a more consistent role in year 2.  It is gravy when they exceed those expectations.

Sounds like the Dolphins are heavy front runners to sign Suh... About that guard.

Bills v Lions: 

SUH 3 tackles 1 asst 0 Sacks.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.