GDT: Panthers @ Sabres, 12/13/2014, 7:00 pm, MSG

I am Defecting

So, I'm thinkin' that either these players are better than we thought, or Teddy is on hell of a coach.

...or, we fall back to earth once teams start playing their number ones in net.

I kinda think the Shart is still well within our grasp. It has been fun, though. There has also been som brutally boring hockey, even in the wins, even tonight, but winning fixes a lot.

So, I'm thinkin' that either these players are better than we thought, or Teddy is on hell of a coach.

...or, we fall back to earth once teams start playing their number ones in net.

I kinda think the Shart is still well within our grasp. It has been fun, though. There has also been som brutally boring hockey, even in the wins, even tonight, but winning fixes a lot.

More than likely a healthy mixture of players being better than expected, Nolan's coaching (and, equally, his selection of assistants), and momentum.

After this recent string of success, if they start to slump, and can't find a way out within ten games, what are the chances they slump for the rest of the season? That would/will be the test and best way to expose what this team has going for it right now.

More than likely a healthy mixture of players being better than expected, Nolan's coaching (and, equally, his selection of assistants), and momentum.

After this recent string of success, if they start to slump, and can't find a way out within ten games, what are the chances they slump for the rest of the season? That would/will be the test and best way to expose what this team has going for it right now.

i also wonder, if the Sabres had started out the season like this, would the league have already changed the draft rules?

I don't think this team was as bad as they played the first month of the season. There's more talent than that. But when you trade most of your veterans away, sign a couple back in free agency, bring some others in by free agency, and have a bunch of kids playing, it's going to take a while to figure out who plays well with whom. The result was a dysfunctional team. Passes didn't connect so they got pinned down in their own zone and couldn't spend much time trying to score. Teddy finally got them sorted out, mostly, and is working on the last few problem children (the last couple of benchings). Nolan can make a benching a positive motivator (look at CoHo tonight).

For the most part though the team is much more efficient in moving the puck out of their zone, is getting creative on the rush and is starting to cycle the puck and sustain offensive zone pressure. He's got Girgs being Girgs and Ennis being Ennis (a lethal combo, by the way), instead of everyone trying to be some perfect forward in a system. The forward lines are finally fitting together mostly and the rough edges are smoothing out. Although RJ called the pass that went to CoHo on the goal as coming from Moulson, it was actually 36, not 26, that made the pass. Very nice assist from the team pest. They're starting to click and the parts that aren't are starting to come into alignment.

The first goal against was a vivid reminder of how young Risto and Zads are. For the first time I can remember, one messed up and the other couldn't bail him out; in fact Zads made it worse by deflecting the puck in off his skate. Credit to Nolan and the kids, they didn't let it shake their confidence and they played pretty well the rest of the way out.

The unsustainables win again!!

What you talkin' 'bout? They actually outshot the Panthers tonight.

I think getting Trottier on the staff was brilliant. He seems a perfect complement to Nolan. If you watch during time outs, if someone is working the Xs and Os on a board, it's Trottier. Brains and intuition = good coaching, and credit Nolan for realizing what he needed to make his staff complete.

Yeah, that's the thing. This won't last forever (will it? No. Probably not.) Let's see how Nolan handles the downswing. The Sabres got smacked pretty good in the second TB game, then lost in Miami, but then Nolan got them back on track with some tough love. I'm king of hoping he manages to keep the losses isolated from here on out.

...I think getting Trottier on the staff was brilliant. He seems a perfect complement to Nolan. If you watch during time outs, if someone is working the Xs and Os on a board, it's Trottier. Brains and intuition = good coaching, and credit Nolan for realizing what he needed to make his staff complete.

The few games I've been at this year, I sat right next to the bench, 3 rows up. Trottier is always the most vocal coach of the bunch. He has a particularly nice touch with players who screw the pooch. Especially the young ones. He's constantly communicating to the players. Very Biron-like at times with all his chatter.

GO BILLS!!!

Whoever said is earlier is right, Ennis is a shifty little bastard.

I think it was d4rk who said it last GDT, Ennis is finally looking like Briere. He's starting to use that extra second that his quickness buys him to look up and create, and it's beautiful. That play he had in the office (behind the net) where he just waited and sauced it to Moulson was dirty.

Whenever Zemgus goes to the boards to battle, he reaches in with one hand and secures the puck against the wall instead of hitting the opponent. Then when the opponent turns around Zemgus already has possession shielded with his body. It drove me crazy at first, because I wanted him to demolish fools. He comes away with the puck so consistently, though. What a baller.

Good period. Time for a chicken pot pie.

I love chicken pot pie.

Aw crud. Brad Boyes, Brad Boyes.... whatcha gonna do.

Too much pot pie. Now I have the meat sweats.

did you see hodgson in the back rolling his eyes?

I did

Good stuff here boys.

I think we'll see Nic Des on the blue line in the third. Pretty useful guy to have.

I was looking for this too and surprised we didn't see it.

Nikita is displeased, he will have his vengeance in OT.

Boom!

The Buffalo Sabres are 9-3 in their last 12 and are now closer to the playoffs than to last place. This makes absolutely no sense to me. None. This roster is rookies surrounded by Matt Moulson and a pile of Awful.

I'll take it. 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

And Ennis, Myers and rock-solid goaltending.

Tyler Ennis is playing the best hockey of his career.

A forward who can create — after all this time, there was actually one already in the roster.

As bad as the Hodgson contract looks at the moment, the Ennis one is starting to look pretty good.

And for those of us who feel the jury is still well out on TM, he should certainly get credit for giving Ennis the extension.

I say again: Ennis is not for sale unless there is a franchise player coming back.

i also wonder, if the Sabres had started out the season like this, would the league have already changed the draft rules?

Again with the conspiracy theories. Even after an exciting win.

Separately:

9 out of 12, and no sign of slowing down.

Coming up: Ottawa, Winnipeg and Colorado, followed by at Boston and at Detroit. That stretch will tell us whether we can daydream about the playoffs over New Year's.

For now, though, that was a pretty fun win with a very enjoyable 3rd period & OT.

That shift in OT was terrific.

Go Sabres.

Was at the Amerks game, and my phone died, so I had to rely on really late updates and some comments from people around me. Watched the highlights..

Another good win. This team works hard, there's no doubt. The Amerks could use some of their team chemistry.

So Enroth posted a save percentage of under .900 tonight, and we still got the W. We'll see in the next couple weeks if he does cool off a little bit (I still think he plays well, just not as well as the last couple perhaps) and how that affects us. Wouldn't that be something if we were still winning games if he isn't as hot like last night. I would love it if he didn't need to be Hasek every night to get wins.

Again with the conspiracy theories. Even after an exciting win.

Really? That's the post you respond to?

I said that not as an anti-Buffalo thing, but as an anti-any-team-that-says-their-plan-is-to-lose-to-get-a-good-pick,-is-so-ludicrously-vocal-about-that-plan,-and-then-appears-to-be-really-good-at-that-plan thing. I would hope they would have done the same if it was any other team in the league.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.