Tonights game (vs Montreal), what if....

mjd1001

Not that it will happen, but what if the Sabres beat Montreal again for the second night in a row, would your opinion of this team change? Meaning, does anyone stop thinking about last place and start to think this team can flirt with a playoff spot?

If it happens, it will be the 5th win in the last 6 games.

Just wondering if that would change the expectations anyone has for the team this year?

My opinion is already changed after beating the Habs in regulation last night. If there are moments I can point to where the momentum changed, it's when a poster on SabreSpace busted out the A-10 Warthogs Gatling Gun as our Goal Horn, Or when Eleven introduced the Canal Song as a New SabreSpace tradition.

My opinion is already changed after beating the Habs in regulation last night. If there are moments I can point to where the momentum changed, it's when a poster on SabreSpace busted out the A-10 Warthogs Gatling Gun as our Goal Horn, Or when Eleven introduced the Canal Song as a New SabreSpace tradition.

:thumbsup:

Not that it will happen, but what if the Sabres beat Montreal again for the second night in a row, would your opinion of this team change? Meaning, does anyone stop thinking about last place and start to think this team can flirt with a playoff spot?

Just wondering if that would change the expectations anyone has for the team this year?

No, but not in the way that you'd think.

I already feel like the Sabres are too good to finish dead last in the league ("The Eichel Spot"). Win or lose tonight, that part already feels settled. Now what I'm watching for is how far away from last they'll get and what that will do to our long-term trajectory as a franchise (spoiler-alert: nothing good).

The playoffs are still a ways off. And winning in the playoffs is still a million miles away. The Sabres aren't actually good; they're just capable of consistently dragging other teams down to their level and grinding out ugly 2-1 wins thanks to great goaltending. That keeps us out of the basement but nowhere near the top.

I'll 2nd this. This team isn't capable of coming anywhere near the playoffs, so there is no sense ending up in no mans land.

Precisely. I am completely okay with a quick trade of a piece of two that would help move that along (Stafford or Stewart). I would prefer Myers to be dealt at this point (for multiple reasons and not just the tank), but I don't want a "quick" one as much as a good one.

The team is improving under our new GM, which is what is supposed to happen. And, our young guys like Girgs, Risto, Zadorov, and others are playing better-and-better. Also what is supposed to happen. So, if anything, winning 4 of 5 makes me trust Murray and Nolan all that much more. I was never pro-tank. Last year we bottomed out. Now, onward and upward.

The team is improving under our new GM, which is what is supposed to happen. And, our young guys like Girgs, Risto, Zadorov, and others are playing better-and-better. Also what is supposed to happen. So, if anything, winning 4 of 5 makes me trust Murray and Nolan all that much more. I was never pro-tank. Last year we bottomed out. Now, onward and upward.

The latter part may speak well to Nolan but it doesn't really say much about Murray. Those aren't his guys.

To be clear: I'm head over heels for Murray. But I'm also emotional and get attached easily.

Edited by Tankalicious

Way too early to come to any conclusions. At this point, though, you have to consider what Murray is thinking.

He may have a solid plan for a tank, but he'd be a fool to force a tank upon a team that is determined to win. I suggest that Murray will have to have a multi-facted strategy (if he doesn't have one already) that depends on the performance of the team.

I expected them to be an improvement over last year, I expected them to start off slow. While I didn't expect them to be that bad from the start, they are now playing the way I thought they would. So no, they wouldn't change my opinion. Not expecting a playoff spot, but having a decent year with high expectations in the future is important for instilling a winning attitude moving forward. I couldn't care less about the tank, this team is playing with some heart now and I'm all for letting them continue to do so.

I didn't get to watch the game last night. I went to see Fury (An excellent movie by the way). I was very surprised to see them sweep the Habs this weekend. I was at the front of the line willing to rip Nolan. So I will again be at the front of the line to say that the team of the last few weeks has been fun to watch and what I was hoping for all season long. That credit goes to Nolan. My opinion of this team is changing. As number one and two slip away, we just have to hope that there is value in 5-10,picks and TM is the man to find it. Meanwhile, sneak a few more kids into the lineup and get them some experience.

It is no coincidence that Enroth picked up his game when Neuvirth went down. Now that Neuvirth is back and the platoon is back, can he keep it up?

Edited by wjag

Good call

What if the Sabres make a hard-fought run to 22nd and won the lottery?

Will the universe end?

The Sabres finish 22nd in the NHL but convert their 2.7% chance at a lottery win into Connor McDavid.

Within 90 minutes, an asteroid collides with the earth and wipes out all life. So everyone is dead and we never even got a chance to use our other draft picks. :(

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.