Sabres @ Canadiens 11/29/2014: 7PM

LGR4GM

I'm starting to wonder if we need a McDavid or Eichel. Of course that would be great, but the Sabres are so young and seem to be coming together. I'm so confused!!!!

No, we don't. But the margin for error for draft and future trades is very tiny if we want to become a legit team.

I once read a book, years ago, and Scotty Bowman in it said the easiest job in hockey (as GM) is to take a terrible team and turn them into a good team. But, said the HARDEST part as a GM is taking the team from good into a contender. If the Sabres keep winning and land with the 7-9th picks in the draft, they'll eventually become good, they'll replace the weaker players with graduating prospects and make some trades. But, will when will they jump into that next category? Who knows.

Just ask Colorado how hard it is. They shocked everyone last season, most people didn't even think Patrick Roy would make the playoffs, they got the top seed in the West and now their back to earth.

Regardless, I'm starting to wonder if Tyler Ennis will be our Martin St. Louis-lite? Both are small hard workers whom can play offense very well and are ok in the defensive end. Ennis is a consistent 20 goal scorer who's on pace for about 25 this year. While behind St. Louis's point production, he certainly is the 2d line version in a sense.

Flynn if we're taking their contract into account. But neither if I'm a GM.

5-6 years from now I doubt anyone will remember Flynn. But I'll say this, he is the type of player this team needs at this point in time. You need those effort/work ethic type guys when you rebuilding as the Sabres are. As more talented players are added to the roster over the next few years you it's important to have that foundation of hard work and perseverance.

I miss the division home and home weekends. I wish the Sabres played more of them.

Great job Sabres! 7-7-2 over the last 16 games is decent stretch. Keep it going, things will only get better.

I'm starting to wonder if we need a McDavid or Eichel. Of course that would be great, but the Sabres are so young and seem to be coming together. I'm so confused!!!!

With all the picks, next year's draft is going to be huge for the future of this franchise even if they don't pick top 2.

As the talent comes up, lots of players will be replaced before Flynn is. You need his Stu Barnes/Mike Grier work ethic and responsibility.

I understand the sentiment and I agree. Not sure Grier or Barnes are the best examples because, IMO, they were far for more talented than Flynn is.

5-6 years from now I doubt anyone will remember Flynn. But I'll say this, he is the type of player this team needs at this point in time. You need those effort/work ethic type guys when you rebuilding as the Sabres are. As more talented players are added to the roster over the next few years you it's important to have that foundation of hard work and perseverance.

I miss the division home and home weekends. I wish the Sabres played more of them.

Great job Sabres! 7-7-2 over the last 16 games is decent stretch. Keep it going, things will only get better.

Flynn is a strange anomaly. He was a ppg player in college, has one full season in the A where he didn't break a ppg pace, yet has somehow played his way onto an NHL roster.

He played 76 games for the Sabres last year. Does anyone even remember that happening? He had a whopping 13 points. By all accounts he shouldn't even be here.

Flynn is a strange anomaly. He was a ppg player in college, has one full season in the A where he didn't break a ppg pace, yet has somehow played his way onto an NHL roster.

He played 76 games for the Sabres last year. Does anyone even remember that happening? He had a whopping 13 points. By all accounts he shouldn't even be here.

Fair. And Flynn was -10 last year, CH was -24 but 44 points.

Grier comparison is solid.

Flynn was a standout the year I saw him Roc. Speed / 2 way player. Which is why this Paul Hamilton "he's an ahl player" script has been a thorn.

Oh, Flynn's not McEichel. But he's clearly serving a purpose. For now. He may play out his career as a Sabres regular and retire in 4 or 5 years as a stalwart two-way player that we'll all miss.

I will never be upset to see my team win. Loved this weekend. Go Sabres!!!!!

Exactly. Now if the Bills can win....

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

Outstanding.

How close do the Sabres need to be to a playoff spot on January 1st where we just say "F it" and go for it this year?

If they win their next two (both against Tampa, so a tall order) that might be enough to call it right then and there.

Good question.

If it's 4 points out of the playoffs on 1/1/15, we -- all of us here -- are in, right?

It was a terrible loss for hockey when he was crippled in a limo wreck while celebrating the Red Wings '97 Cup win. :(

Here's hoping Nikita renews the legacy. :)

It was indeed. Pretty early to be mentioning Nikita in this company.

Flynn or Hodgson? If you had to pick one.

Another good one. I'd say Flynn because of Hodgson's contract.

Hodgson 24gp, 1g, 1a, -9, 4.25M

Flynn, 15gp, 3g, 2a +5 675k

You sure?

Shocking #s for Hodgson.

Another great Darcy center!

Separately: that game wasn't artistic, but the Sabres looked a LOT better than they did in October. And they played with a lot of heart. Pretty much a classic Ted Nolan win.

Risto looked pretty GD solid, and so did Myers, and so did Strachan. And Enroth.

PK Subban was great with the puck in the offensive zone.

Between Ennis' goal the other night and Stewart's goal tonight, we have a couple of goal-of-the-year candidates.

In case you were wondering -- Sabres next 5 games:

- home vs TB

- at Tampa

- at Panthers

- home vs Kings

- home vs Flames

Let's see 3-2 or better in those 5 before we start making playoff plans.

Still, it was pretty sweet to sweep the Habs.

Go Sabres.

This team might be capable of making the playoffs but isn't capable of getting out of the first round so more of the same. Regier still haunts this team.

This particular roster, yes, I agree. But this won't be the roster they have after the deadline, tank or 8th seed.

Okay, back to the Auburn/Alabama game. Here's hoping number one goes down, and it's looking good so far.

Need more talented forwards but it looks like the young D are going to be good.

I'm sure I could find eight or nine Hodgsons outside of the Bill Grays ice arena in Rochester. Guy is a complete waste of a lot of money. I would rather have Kassian back in a heartbeat.

You must be drunk, go home :D

Seriously, fire Ted Nolan not good for the tank.

This team isn't to bad lately, sabres took alot of heat for "tanking" in october, but that was a month we played against the best in the NHL,

That is also why i say we shouldn't be in the playoffs this year, if we go there i want to win it all, that ain't happening.

So lets tank and draft well. If we keep playing this way we'll be happy to get away with strome, wich isn't a bad thing either.

Edited by Heimdall

This isn't going to be a playoff team however it is nice to see the defense playing much better. I love that Tyler Myers is seeing +25 minutes a night. Risto and Zadorov are coming into their own at a young age good to see. The Sabres finally have a coherent approach through the neutral zone. They aren't going to be winning consistently giving up 40 shots a night, but they are more competitive inside the game. Lines are finally gelling, And wee are seeing some team play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.