Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

I did not say anyone directly called me *not a Sabre fan*, but it was implied that anyone feeling as I and some others, although perhaps not quite as strongly as I, do about the tank.

As TrueBlue said ... nonsense.

I would be happier if the Sabres did not tank.

Again, for the record, the players and coaches did not deliberately lose games, the owner and management are the real tankers.

I hate that my team stooped to the lowest of the low.

I will stand by my assertion that, while they did not break any obvious rules, they cheated.

If it helps, Google the definition of cheat.  My apologies if that sounded condescending ... not my intention.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Bill Wirtz was still in control of the team until he died in 07 and it was pretty widely known that he was milking the Hawks for every nickle of profit he could.  He didn't want to pay vets.  He wanted cheap players on his roster.  It was not manipulation to lose to get a top pick.

So what makes them any more deserving of top picks in that instance? I'd argue that stinking up the joint for a couple of years with the idea of contending down the road is a much better plan than than some rich old guy icing a crummy team because he's too cheap to pay for better players. Either way you are looking at icing a bad team on purpose but under the tank approach at least it's supposed to be temporary.

Edited by Drunkard

I have less of an issue with Reinhart, as last season was somewhat different in my view then this season's blatant tank job.

You too?

Am I the only one left who thinks the Sabres actually tried to get better in the off-season?

They added Moulson, Gionta, McCormick, Gorges, Meszaros and Benoit and gave away what? McBain?

I just don't buy the popular theory that Murray somehow picked these guys up in the hopes of making the team worse.

By the way, are there any people left who are not nervous about Arizona?  They look completely hopeless...I think last night was their most winnable remaining game, and they found a way to lose.  If we don't at least split with Arizona...ugh, don't want to think about it.

Talk to me after Monday 3/30. We're still going to finish last. Based on the performance metrics, I still say we are the worst team by a significant margin.

You too?

Am I the only one left who thinks the Sabres actually tried to get better in the off-season?

They added Moulson, Gionta, McCormick, Gorges, Meszaros and Benoit and gave away what? McBain?

I just don't buy the popular theory that Murray somehow picked these guys up in the hopes of making the team worse.

11 still believes it.

Weave has come out to say he is not convinced that is the case any more.

I have not expressed an opinion, but I tend to agree with weave.

I love how all of the other teams who blew for several seasons, got top picks, and went on to win Cups, or at least be competitive - no way they tanked, they just sucked.  But we, the Sabres, are tanking, and if everyone just tried, including GM Murray, why, the Sabres wouldn't suck.  No one looks wryly at Edmonton, no one remembers Regier is in Arizona, who, suck, too.  Nope, the problem is: it's the Sabres.

Murray isn't trying hard enough.  Nolan isn't trying hard enough.  The players aren't trying hard enough.

Now, let's see: folks have been calling for Nolan's ouster for a while now.  I'm sure he's trying, but the complaint is he's too olde skool and isn't a "thinker".  But, is he TRYING hard enough for the team not to suck?

Anyone want to deny there's a significant talent gap between the Sabres roster and other NHL rosters?  Do you think the players are tanking on purpose?  Are the players not TRYING hard enough?

And if that isn't it, then why aren't you all calling for Murray's head?  Why aren't you calling for Pegula to sell the Sabres to a more honorable owner?  Because I think we all suspect these guys are smart enough to know if they're tanking or not, and are in a position to force the coach and roster to suck on purpose.  But Murray, and Pegula, by extension, can be doing a lot more to make sure the team doesn't suck...right?  Are they TRYING hard enough not to ice a sucky team?

Edited by SiZzlEmIsTEr

I love how all of the other teams who blew for several seasons, got top picks, and went on to win Cups, or at least be competitive - no way they tanked, they just sucked.  But we, the Sabres, are tanking, and if everyone just tried, including GM Murray, why, the Sabres wouldn't suck.  No one looks wryly at Edmonton, no one remembers Regier is in Arizona, who, suck, too.  Nope, the problem is: it's the Sabres.

Murray isn't trying hard enough.  Nolan isn't trying hard enough.  The players aren't trying hard enough.

Now, let's see: folks have been calling for Nolan's ouster for a while now.  I'm sure he's trying, but the complaint is he's too olde skool and isn't a "thinker".  But, is he TRYING hard enough for the team not to suck?

Anyone want to deny there's a significant talent gap between the Sabres roster and other NHL rosters?  Do you think the players are tanking on purpose?  Are the players not TRYING hard enough?

And if that isn't it, then why aren't you all calling for Murray's head?  Why aren't you calling for Pegula to sell the Sabres to a more honorable owner?  Because I think we all suspect these guys are smart enough to know if they're tanking or not, and are in a position to force the coach and roster to suck on purpose.  But Murray, and Pegula, by extension, can be doing a lot more to make sure the team doesn't suck...right?  Are they TRYING hard enough not to ice a sucky team?

Maybe it's just a Buffalo media thing?   Outside of WNY (I'm in California), the perception is that Buffalo just sucks and has sucked for several seasons.   The Tank talk comes up most often when discussing ARI's freefall since the trade deadline, and Toronto.    People understand what Buffalo is doing, they've jettisoned the previous core and are attempting to build a new one... that's not Tanking, that's rebuilding wisely.    

People understand what Buffalo is doing, they've jettisoned the previous core and are attempting to build a new one... that's not Tanking, that's rebuilding wisely.    

This sums it up nicely. Compare this to Arizona which is flat out tanking. Or Toronto who are just rebelling against coaching and management. We are in a full rebuild.

People understand what Buffalo is doing, they've jettisoned the previous core and are attempting to build a new one... that's not Tanking, that's rebuilding wisely.    

As another Buffalo expat, I think this is the perception around the country.  And when looking at the job the Sabres are doing, most think they're doing it right.  It's quite easy to look from the inside and see nothing but a tire fire, but from the outside it looks like a major reconstruction that will soon be complete.

I think there'll be only 82 games of partial suffering, and it will probably feel like bliss compared to these last 164

Just rooting for the team's improvement will make next year 1000x better than the end of this season. I can't remember the last time everyone on this board collectively rooted for a Sabres goal/victory.

I can't stomach any cheers in the game thread so I'll put it here. ...this game is gonna make me ill if they win...lose

Put a pillow in front of the toilet.  You're going to be "praying" there for a while tonight.

I wish I could still be in Bahamas with no tv for this Zona series. It's gonna be torture and frustration non-stop....

We will literally watch McEichel slip through our fingers.  In their current form, the Sabres might win 2 or 3 to zip.  But it's hockey, anything can happen...