Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

It's killing you isn't it?!!

Not a youtube video and posting happy happy thoughts..... you're killing me softly with those words.....

actually I am quite enjoying myself... and nice try but you're killing me softly with that attempt  :P

I have avoided posting in this thread like one would avoid the plague. I am no fan of last place. I respect the opinions here and understand. As you may interpret from my avatar that I am no stranger to bad hockey and losing in general. Buffalo sports has been served rotten eggs for years. If karma does exist then we will be first in line for the reward. IMO keep trying to win. Eff losing. If it's meant to be then it will happen. We will not mention what we both believe will happen. Being the biggest loser isn't necessary.

Any plan to win the Stanley Cup that was hinged on the addition of one player to the team was never going to work anyway.

And for anyone who is going to try and convince themselves by trying to convince me that it was never about getting just one player, save it. Read all the posts and listen to every caller and host on WGR that are crying otherwise.

So many things could happen...

finish last, lose the lottery, pick Eichel, he goes back to school or gets injured, sucks or whatever, concussions... see Patrik Stefan.

finish 3rd win the lottery, pick McDavid, due to insurmountable pressure alcoholism and drug abuse do him in by 25 years old after signing the richest contract in league history.... see Alexandre Daigle.

finish 3rd lose the lottery, pick Marner 4th, he leads the NHL is scoring by the time he's 25.

finish 2nd, pick 3rd, take Hanifin who becomes the next Paul Coffey and leads us to 3 consecutive Cups.

finish 2nd, lose the lottery, pick 3rd, trade with EDM/ARI to move up to the #2 spot as both those teams desperately need a player like Hanifin on the back-end.   ARI might do this deal if we include our 2016 1st rnd pick since ARI is all in on Auston Mathews.   

...bottom line, is it's not the end of the world if BUF doesn't finish last.  There are other things that can happen, and with the draft lottery less than 4 weeks away, we'll have plenty of time to wheel and deal before the draft.

Any plan to win the Stanley Cup that was hinged on the addition of one player to the team was never going to work anyway.

And for anyone who is going to try and convince themselves by trying to convince me that it was never about getting just one player, save it. Read all the posts and listen to every caller and host on WGR that are crying otherwise.

I don't know anyone who is under that delusion. 

I would rather have one of two generational talents than anyone else in the draft and that can be accomplished by finishing ONE MEASLEY PHUCKING POINT worse than anyone else in this HISTORICALLY BAD ABOMINATION OF A SEASON!

It's really that simple. 

So many things could happen...

finish last, lose the lottery, pick Eichel, he goes back to school or gets injured, sucks or whatever, concussions... see Patrik Stefan.

finish 3rd win the lottery, pick McDavid, due to insurmountable pressure alcoholism and drug abuse do him in by 25 years old after signing the richest contract in league history.... see Alexandre Daigle.

finish 3rd lose the lottery, pick Marner 4th, he leads the NHL is scoring by the time he's 25.

finish 2nd, pick 3rd, take Hanifin who becomes the next Paul Coffey and leads us to 3 consecutive Cups.

finish 2nd, lose the lottery, pick 3rd, trade with EDM/ARI to move up to the #2 spot as both those teams desperately need a player like Hanifin on the back-end.   ARI might do this deal if we include our 2016 1st rnd pick since ARI is all in on Auston Mathews.   

...bottom line, is it's not the end of the world if BUF doesn't finish last.  There are other things that can happen, and with the draft lottery less than 4 weeks away, we'll have plenty of time to wheel and deal before the draft.

I can't tell if you're a glass half full or a glass half empty kind of guy. 

GO SABRES!!!

I don't know anyone who is under that delusion. 

I would rather have one of two generational talents than anyone else in the draft and that can be accomplished by finishing ONE MEASLEY PHUCKING POINT worse than anyone else in this HISTORICALLY BAD ABOMINATION OF A SEASON!

It's really that simple. 

I can't tell if you're a glass half full or a glass half empty kind of guy. 

GO SABRES!!!

I thought I said save it.

You said anyone trying to convince you of anything should save it. I'm not trying to convince you of anything so I thought I'd share. I'm generous like that. 

GO SABRES!!!

I would rather have either as well. My point is that we want a Cup. Murry's job is to build a team that gets us a Cup. The only thing that getting one of those two does, is make his job a tinier bit easier after he gets them, maybe. Either way his job is to get a Cup and I don't think we're doomed if we end up 29th.

I would rather have either as well. My point is that we want a Cup. Murry's job is to build a team that gets us a Cup. The only thing that getting one of those two does, is make his job a tinier bit easier after he gets them, maybe. Either way his job is to get a Cup and I don't think we're doomed if we end up 29th.

you are correct, we would still have about a 35% chance of not doom at that point  :devil:

I still refuse to take a pessimistic stance in this thread...so here's some glass half full thoughts for today..

As of today for all intents and purposes the Sabres are one of only three teams left with a real shot at the shart. 27 other teams eliminated from the McEichel derby. 12 games left and in the lead, I'll take it.

If the Sabres end up picking third, they will have the opportunity to grab two of the top four offensive prospects from the last two drafts if they so choose. Hardly the end of the world.

Good man.

After listening to Travis Yost on GR today, I do feel slightly better. 

I like the idea of extending offer sheets to Toffoli and Martin Jones. 

http://media.wgr550.com/a/103439160/3-18-travis-yost-tsn.htm

Blargh. Yost is definitely understating the Yotes' chances because a huge chunk of the models he cites are based on pre-deadline results and rosters. I'm not sure if they weight the results post-deadline at all to increase model accuracy, but they should be if they aren't.

I still think we close this out, but being realistic, it's not a 90% certainty right now.

Good man.

Blargh. Yost is definitely understating the Yotes' chances because a huge chunk of the models he cites are based on pre-deadline results and rosters. I'm not sure if they weight the results post-deadline at all to increase model accuracy, but they should be if they aren't.

I still think we close this out, but being realistic, it's not a 90% certainty right now.

Dammit!!  It sounded too good to be true. 

Still like the offer sheet idea. 

I think that nothing would make Nolan happier than finishing 29th as a final FU to Murray on the way out.

This team bent over backwards in bringing Nolan back to the NHL, where his career started. Otherwise he'd be sitting at home on his couch. He had his chance to even leave after Patty left, but he's the one who decided to stay and see this through. He has zero right to give anyone an F U as he walks out except himself. He is singlehandedly setting this team back for years. Have fun back on the couch, Teddy.

I agree with you. But getting one of those two means Murray has done his job to this point to perfection.

Not getting one of those two guys, reasonable or not is going to seem like we lost the cup in game seven on a shootout. I don't want to have come this far to lose by that little. Speaking as onme who has been against this the whole way until recently when there is absolutely no lookin back now. May as well get the prize. Anything less is another hole in the heart that will have to heal.

I'm rambling but getting one of the two immediately heals the scars and holes in my heart from the last three years. Including two of the ABSOLUTE worst hockey I have watched in my life. Conversely, getting them will make feel like I can breathe and enjoy my hockey life again. That I will have been rewarded for the sacrifice I've made of my investment.

If we get them the market crash of 2008 was worth enduring and glad I held on to my stock. If we don't I'll still be alright but it will take a little longer.

Sorry for being a repetitive windbag.

One Buffalo!

Can't wait to see the games against the Coyotes. I bet there will be a bunch of the flu bug going around those two games and plenty of injuries during warmups. I think the Sabres should call up and dress Kea, Samuels-Thomas and Nevins for those two games.

Don't forget the Pelech bros!!

Ben Scrivens really is amazing. Edmonton wouldn't even be in the conversation if they had even average goaltending.

Dammit!! It sounded too good to be true.

Still like the offer sheet idea.

No way we get Toffoli and I don't know enough about the goalie to have an opinion, but I like the idea of preying on cap-strapped teams. That said, I probably only risk next year's 1st if we win the Shart.

On offer sheets... This is the compensation system:

OFFER SHEET & COMPENSATION

$1,110,249 or below None

Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 Third Round

Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 Second Round

Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 First Round and Third Round

Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 First Round, Second Round, and Third

Round

Over $6,728,781 to $8,410,976 Two First Rounds, Second Round, and Third Round

Over $8,410,976 Four First Rounds

Edmonton loses in the shootout (wins in Carrion)

Magic Numbers for games played through 3/18 (24 days left in the regular season)

Columbus - 6

Carolina - 11

Toronto - 12

Edmonton - 21

Arizona - 22

Nashville, Montreal, NY Islanders, Anaheim, NY Rangers, Tampa Bay, Detroit, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington, Minnesota, Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Los Angeles, Boston, San Jose, Dallas, Ottawa, Florida, Colorado, Philadelphia, New Jersey - Clinched

Nobody clinched tonight and nobody can tomorrow.

Current worst case: 6.5% (7th place) in the lottery

Also: Arizona officially controls their own destiny with Edmonton getting a point tonight. Them and Buffalo. Let's do this.

How are there non-tankers on this thread? There are 12 GAMES LEFT. It defies logic to be rooting for this team to win. Go be rah rah team in the Prospects section. This is a therapeutic and holy place, a retreat from this test of hardship. 

Zona has a hell of a schedule coming up. Tomorrow night at home against Colorado appears to be the best chance for them to fall a couple steps behind in the CHL (other than against us - twice - : / ).