Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

I agree 100%. We are getting gamed by the 'Yotes and I can't believe Murray is OK with that. Sit the whole team down, let them know what the deal is, and go about the business of finishing last. And if Nolan doesn't like, who cares? I mean, except for the holier than thou purists who actually believe their own crap?

GO SABRES!!!

Aren't we getting to the point where we have to at least consider this possibility? If everything remains status quo and we end up finishing 29th or 28th, I see only two explanations: Murray may not be happy about it but he wasn't solely concerned with finishing 30th, or he has some completely firm code of conduct that prevents him from stepping on a coach's toes, consequences be damned. 

If Murray only cared about finishing last, I just don't think he'd sit in his office and let it all play out when he still has options. 

-Force Nolan to give Hackett his games to retain his rights

-Say something like "Okay now I know what Larsson can do in the NHL with real linemates, time to send him back and give Grigorenko the same look" and make the appropriate recall

-Officially rule Girgensons out for the year

All of those things would be totally justifiable as business as usual for a team with zero chance at the playoffs. There are of course more egregious actions he could take (Talking with Nolan directly, mandated "maintenance days" for key players, etc.) but the fact of the matter is he's not doing anything, justifiable or not, subtle or egregious...just nothing. That being the case, he's either okay with letting events play out, has some moral code he cannot violate...or he's overconfident we're finishing last regardless.

Edit: Just wanted to add that there's no doubt in my mind that Edmonton and Arizona are organizationally committed to tanking from the top down. Read today the average save percentage of goaltenders making less than $900k this year is .917...yet Edmonton continues to trot Ben Scrivens and his .897 out there. Arizona has no problems playing its backup goaltender and traded a player who could have been around for the long haul (Yandle) at the deadline. 

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Aren't we getting to the point where we have to at least consider this possibility? If everything remains status quo and we end up finishing 29th or 28th, I see only two explanations: Murray may not be happy about it but he wasn't solely concerned with finishing 30th, or he has some completely firm code of conduct that prevents him from stepping on a coach's toes, consequences be damned. 

If Murray only cared about finishing last, I just don't think he'd sit in his office and let it all play out when he still has options. 

-Say something like "Okay now I know what Larsson can do in the NHL with real linemates, time to send him back and give Grigorenko the same look" and make the appropriate recall

-Officially rule Girgensons out for the year

All of those things would be totally justifiable as business as usual for a team with zero chance at the playoffs. There are of course more egregious actions he could take (Talking with Nolan directly, mandated "maintenance days" for key players, etc.) but the fact of the matter is he's not doing anything, justifiable or not, subtle or egregious...just nothing. That being the case, he's either okay with letting events play out, has some moral code he cannot violate...or he's overconfident we're finishing last regardless.

Edit: Just wanted to add that there's no doubt in my mind that Edmonton and Arizona are organizationally committed to tanking from the top down. Read today the average save percentage of goaltenders making less than $900k this year is .917...yet Edmonton continues to trot Ben Scrivens and his .897 out there. Arizona has no problems playing its backup goaltender and traded a player who could have been around for the long haul (Yandle) at the deadline. 

Agreed. And when Murray trades pending free agents, he's accused of facilitating the tank to boot!

If Murray DOES have some immutable code of honor about this whole thing, he needs to get over it, and fast. The ONE thing everyone is gonna remember is how we blew the opportunity. Conversely, nobody is gonna remember what the 'Yotes did when one of McDeichel is skating circles around the competition. Only how great they are gonna be with one of them to build around. 

GO SABRES!!!

If Murray or Pegula are going to make a move do they wait until the Arizona Games approach? Or will that be too late. I am vacillating between the stats guys saying its going to be alright and it's Buffalo of course they will ###### this up.

I don't think the stats guys took into account the goal tending prowess of an ECHL goalie in their analysis. The 'Yotes are playing to win. 

GO SABRES!!!

If Murray or Pegula are going to make a move do they wait until the Arizona Games approach? Or will that be too late. I am vacillating between the stats guys saying its going to be alright and it's Buffalo of course they will ###### this up.

Do you think that over the next 12 games the Sabres will score more than 14-15 goals?  If you answer no than don't worry.  They aren't scoring enough to win.  Even Phoenix scores more goals.  With Zemgus on the sidelines our scoring is pretty much screwed.  Statistically I expect the Sabres to gain between 3-5 more points.  I think Arizona will be in the 4-6 range.  Pegula will do nothing but Murray may do something small.  

Do you think that over the next 12 games the Sabres will score more than 14-15 goals?  If you answer no than don't worry.  They aren't scoring enough to win.  Even Phoenix scores more goals.  With Zemgus on the sidelines our scoring is pretty much screwed.  Statistically I expect the Sabres to gain between 3-5 more points.  I think Arizona will be in the 4-6 range.  Pegula will do nothing but Murray may do something small.  

Phoenix has 3 goals in their last five games, six in their last seven, we have 4 in our last 2, ten in the seven since the deadline. While I agree our numbers are bad, theirs have been worse since everyone was sold off. Hopefully we start trending back down and they rise up a bit.

I agree 100%. We are getting gamed by the 'Yotes and I can't believe Murray is OK with that. Sit the whole team down, let them know what the deal is, and go about the business of finishing last. And if Nolan doesn't like, who cares? I mean, except for the holier than thou purists who actually believe their own crap?

GO SABRES!!!

I would like to be a fly on the wall for that meeting... Murray walks in the room "Boys. I need you to throw the rest of the season so I can draft your replacement......"

My non-math take: Arizona the worse team outside the goal crease (hot streak be dammed, Smith is better than Lindback). When Lindback falls down to planet earth, we're fine. And he will fall back. Unfortunately, we don't know if that will be Friday, 10 games from now, or next season. At the deadline I detailed how he has had a couple of hot streaks in his career, but they were both short. So my best guess is his drop is coming very soon, and we'll be okay. But it's definitely not a certainty. We're averaging a goal per game since the deadline and Arizona is just under that, so it really comes down to the goaltending, and I'm comfortable betting against Lindback. If he doesn't fall off in time? Well there's still hope (Arizona could pull a fluke like we did against Boston) and if all goes wrong...bad stuff happens. We ran with a career replacement level goaltender and got insanely unlucky. At that point you shake your head, laugh a little, and move on knowing Strome still sets us up down the middle better than we've ever been with purely internal assets. We'll be fine, it'll just take longer.

That said, if I were Murray, I'd make Nolan get Hackett his games :lol:

toss out the anaomly that was Washington and that is 7goals in 6 games. That can't consistently win you hockey games.

No, but if your goaltender is saving 93% of the shots, it can get you loser points.

My non-math take: Arizona the worse team outside the goal crease (hot streak be dammed, Smith is better than Lindback). When Lindback falls down to planet earth, we're fine. And he will fall back. Unfortunately, we don't know if that will be Friday, 10 games from now, or next season. At the deadline I detailed how he has had a couple of hot streaks in his career, but they were both short. So my best guess is his drop is coming very soon, and we'll be okay. But it's definitely not a certainty. We're averaging a goal per game since the deadline and Arizona is just under that, so it really comes down to the goaltending, and I'm comfortable betting against Lindback. If he doesn't fall off in time? Well there's still hope (Arizona could pull a fluke like we did against Boston) and if all goes wrong...bad stuff happens. We ran with a career replacement level goaltender and got insanely unlucky. At that point you shake your head, laugh a little, and move on knowing Strome still sets us up down the middle better than we've ever been with purely internal assets. We'll be fine, it'll just take longer.

That said, if I were Murray, I'd make Nolan get Hackett his games :lol:

No, but if your goaltender is saving 93% of the shots, it can get you loser points.

The thing is, Lindback is pretty much strictly playing for the 1st save relying on his D/F's to crowd around the net and block that next shot and give him time to be in position for the 3rd or 4th attempt.

So swapping to Hackett doesn't necessarily get them any closer to the precious 2 points than Lindback does. If the Sabres' pp was as inept this week as it had been all season prior to this week, they wouldn't have given 3 points away. If several shots that rang off posts or just go wide end up true, they wouldn't have given 3 points away.

Yes, the Sabres hit a couple of posts, but they're hitting a couple of posts out of 25 attempts per game, not 70.

I'd expect Murray isn't saying "you must play Goaler X" because Teddy has these guys playing for OT and these other guys could very easily luck into the same astronomical save %age for a week or so.

Honestly this shouldn't even be up for debate, get Hackett his games. Definitely give him the start against the devils.

I don't want Hackett, I want that ECHL dude Fullerton up here. 28 year old deserves a shot at the NHL, and we need to see him over an extended period of games....like 12!

If Girgs sees the ice again, i really don't know what i would do. Not only are you needlessly exposing him to injury....you are admitting you stole money from your season tickets holders for 2 years

ARI will NHL win their next three games (all at HOME).   BUF will NHL lose their next three and the spread will be up to 9 when we met them next week.     

Everybody needs to just calm the down.

I would like to be a fly on the wall for that meeting... Murray walks in the room "Boys. I need you to throw the rest of the season so I can draft your replacement......"

That's not how I see it going down. At no time would Murray say to throw the rest of the season. But he would tell them that all the AHL eligible players are going back down and a replacement group from Rochester is coming up. He would tell Ennis, Risto, Bogo, etc. that they are being shelved for the rest of the year; no sense in risking injury. He would also insist Hackett gets his starts, while an ECHL prospect gets brought up to see if he has what it takes. 

As to telling them about drafting their replacements, that's a given. Half this current squad isn't in our future plans as it is. Too bad if they can't deal with that reality. 

Radical? Yes. But Arizona is playing to win this prize and we need to match that commitment. All the flowery rhetoric about character and winning being the primary objective is out the window at this point. 

GO SABRES!!!

ARI will NHL win their next three games (all at HOME).   BUF will NHL lose their next three and the spread will be up to 9 when we met them next week.     

Everybody needs to just calm the ###### down.

And the 'Yotes can realistically be expected to do this with an ECHL goalie prospect? I doubt it. 

GO SABRES!!!

Save your $$$.

Irbe would probably turn Vinz into Hasek.

LOL!

That's not how I see it going down. At no time would Murray say to throw the rest of the season. But he would tell them that all the AHL eligible players are going back down and a replacement group from Rochester is coming up. He would tell Ennis, Risto, Bogo, etc. that they are being shelved for the rest of the year; no sense in risking injury. He would also insist Hackett gets his starts, while an ECHL prospect gets brought up to see if he has what it takes. 

As to telling them about drafting their replacements, that's a given. Half this current squad isn't in our future plans as it is. Too bad if they can't deal with that reality. 

Radical? Yes. But Arizona is playing to win this prize and we need to match that commitment. All the flowery rhetoric about character and winning being the primary objective is out the window at this point. 

GO SABRES!!!

And the 'Yotes can realistically be expected to do this with an ECHL goalie prospect? I doubt it. 

GO SABRES!!!

LOL!

Can the bolded really be done without league backlash? I feel like for a lot of people that would be going too far.

Nolan was on the radio today and acknowledged that he has technical conversations with Murray and they have discussed the games Hackett needs but Murray has not ever told him who to play. So if Nolan acknowledges that conversation has occurred between them and the aspect of retaining the guys rights and doesn't make it happen well, I guess this should go in Nolan's gone after the season thread lol

Everybody needs to just calm the ###### down.

Had they not run a "cutest cat picture gets you to be the goalie" contest, that might be true. Seeing as they did, let's hope the Sabres manage to drop another gear. They'll probably need it.