Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

Perhaps, if you can magically transform Buffalo into a place where FA's want to come and rarely available impact players don't put on their no trade list.

God forbid they do not capitalize during their window, I can see them in a similar position in a few years.  They really depleted their ability to restock the shelves by trading away all their 1st rounders.  

Instead we added Zemgus, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Reinhart, 2015?, and also Kane and Bogosian (former 1st rounders). 

Not to call you out personally, but why are some people leaving Moulson off the list of "the new core"?  Am I missing something?

So nearly two full season into this thing, after it's crystal clear to everyone what GMTM is doing, it was this recent deadline and the shipping out of UFA's that everyeone expected or a player who clearly had no future here that has raised your anxiety and frustration to a new level? Would sitting where say Toronto or Carolina are right now, out of the shart race have been worth it? Because that's the absolute ceiling of what could have been done with the team this year.

I knew exactly what the deadline was going to or not going to bring. I think it was more of a matter of being tired of trade deadlines and draft positions being the extent of our excitement.

Like all of you I am just ready to get excited about hockey again. I have 18 games left in me. I can make it.

Perhaps, if you can magically transform Buffalo into a place where FA's want to come and rarely available impact players don't put on their no trade list.

Disagree, Sabres dragged their feet going after centers and then paid for it. Darcy miscaculated the importance of centers thus requiring tear down. D wasnt and wouldnt have been bad, but he kept drafting D no 1. Myers, Pysk, Z and Risto all good choices, but very little high end offensive talent... Darcy couldnt spot a goal scorer if you spotted him an s and r. So this where we are left. TM needs to draft 2 centers 1 then find another in 2nd and then 2 D with goalies and chances on unkowns later on. McEichel cant be only center taken.

Edited by Fargenov Iceholeski

Disagree, Sabres dragged their feet going after centers and then paid for it. Darcy miscaculated the importance of centers thus requiring tear down. D wasnt and wouldnt have been bad, but he kept drafting D no 1. Myers, Pysk, Z and Risto all good choices, but very little high end offensive talent... Darcy couldnt spot a goal scorer if you spotted him an s and r. So this where we are left. TM needs to draft 2 centers 1 then find another in 2nd and then 2 D with goalies and chances on unkowns later on. McEichel cant be only center taken.

I think the Sabres use a pick on Sam Reinhart for that second center. ;)

I completely agree. If the Sabres had a legitimate #2 and #3 center there would never had been the need for the Tank, and Ennis probably would still be on the wing. A #1 center is like a NFL quaterback to me, hard to come by and if you don't have one you're always looking for one.

Edited by Woods-Racer

I don't think a team with 47 points in 64 games is "due" for anything. It's like saying a pitcher is due for a hit.

From a statistics perspective, I guess you're right.  But look a the Sabres' "run" after their historic losing streak--things tend to balance out.  Teams do not go 0-30 in the modern era, it has never happened.  If the Yotes do anything similar to what the Sabres did after their streak, Arizona is basically eliminated from the Shart. 

It's hockey. Puck luck alone could get Arizona a few wins, which is all the Sabres really need.  The two game lead is significant. 

I think the Sabres use a pick on Sam Reinhart for that second center. ;)

Sam is part of tear down... Too little to late and no guarantee he works out, I still use first two pics on centers.

I completely agree. If the Sabres had a legitimate #2 and #3 center there would never had been the need for the Tank, and Ennis probably would still be on the wing. A #1 center is like a NFL quaterback to me, hard to come by and if you don't have one you're always looking for one.

And even if you do you are always looking for another.

Disagree, Sabres dragged their feet going after centers and then paid for it. Darcy miscaculated the importance of centers thus requiring tear down. 

I don't disagree with any of this, but once the Sabres found themselves in that spot they were faced with picking top 6 capable centers off the top 6 center tree which of course doesn't exist, or attempt to acquire them via trade or FA. Buffalo plays with one hand tied behind their back in each of those areas.

I can tell you with great certainty that the Sabres acknowledgement of their inability to compete on a level playing field with other teams in the FA and trade route method of team building was a deciding factor in their ultimate decision to blow it up and tank.

Sam is part of tear down... Too little to late and no guarantee he works out, I still use first two pics on centers.

Sam Reinhart will be fine, we really need to drop this weird myth that he won't work.  I personally don't know what you mean by 'tear down' but Reinhart is part of the rebuild.  Our first pick will hopefully be 1 of the two centers. Our other 1st round pick should be the best player available.  It doesn't have to be a center. 

I get what you're saying, but the Sabres Center depth right now (in not exact order): Reinhart, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Ennis*, Hodgson*, McCormick. If you add #1-2 pick this year, that goes to the front of the line. Starred players probably don't end up playing center, but they are there. In any case, we have 4-5 NHL Centers (maybe you upgrade CodyMc in FA, and maybe Grigs busts). If there's a center later in the first that you think will make a good winger, maybe. Otherwise I'd be on the looking for RW, since the cupboard is pretty bare there.

I get what you're saying, but the Sabres Center depth right now (in not exact order): Reinhart, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Ennis*, Hodgson*, McCormick. If you add #1-2 pick this year, that goes to the front of the line. Starred players probably don't end up playing center, but they are there. In any case, we have 4-5 NHL Centers (maybe you upgrade CodyMc in FA, and maybe Grigs busts). If there's a center later in the first that you think will make a good winger, maybe. Otherwise I'd be on the looking for RW, since the cupboard is pretty bare there.

I am fine with that as long it is a goal scorer and not a D.

Sam Reinhart will be fine, we really need to drop this weird myth that he won't work. I personally don't know what you mean by 'tear down' but Reinhart is part of the rebuild. Our first pick will hopefully be 1 of the two centers. Our other 1st round pick should be the best player available. It doesn't have to be a center.

I have high hopes for Sam, but then Grigerenko gave us high hopes, just saying keep drafting Cs till a couple hit and then keep looking for hidden gems. Edited by Fargenov Iceholeski

BROCK BOESER!!!!!

I am fine with that as long it is a goal scorer and not a D.

I have high hopes for Sam, but then Grigerenko gave us high hopes, just saying keep drafting Cs till a couple hit and then keep looking for hidden gems.

We could actually use a LHS def at going forward.  Sam is not Mikhail, they aren't even similar in style. 

... the current group of players we have would have gloves and helmets off and there would have been a line brawl.

Thank-you. That was the seminal moment for that group. It defined them forever moving forward. From that point on, nobody in that room could look each other in the eye. It was an afront to the game itself; an abomination. The teardown should have started that night.

GO SABRES!!!

True but can he make it in the NHL, jury still out and untill it comes back draft centers is all

We have been drafting centers and the jury isn't really out. Sam Reinhart will be at least a 2nd line NHL center.  

Thank-you. That was the seminal moment for that group. It defined them forever moving forward. From that point on, nobody in that room could look each other in the eye. It was an afront to the game itself; an abomination. The teardown should have started that night.

GO SABRES!!!

One can argue it did, this was why we got John Scott, the beginning of the end for the core.

GO SABRES!!!

Well, if you believe the old company line, it did, sort of.  Paul Gaustad would be traded at the trade deadline that year for a first round pick, mentioned by Regier as the beginning of the rebuild.

We have been drafting centers and the jury isn't really out. Sam Reinhart will be at least a 2nd line NHL center.

Only one has worked out and he is a 2/3 line center in Girgenson, I hope you are right abt Sam, but that only gives that Sabres 1 plus a maybe and a future McEichel assuming they finish last. They drafted one that doesnt look like he is going to turn out and some in the 2nd round that who knows while drafting a lot of D unnecessarily when there was such a glaring hole in the middle. Again, Sabres need to draft centers in first till they are at least 5 deep, 2 for certain one checking and 2 developing. Only then will I get off this drumbeat.

As others are betting on another thread Sam won't be ready till midway next year at earliest... That is not a guarantee and Sabres are still without a number 1-2 center only developing them. Keep drafting them

Edited by Fargenov Iceholeski

Complete madness.

(I'm not saying he's a lock to be a productive top-6 NHL center . . . but, given the juncture in time: Complete madness.)

Given the last two years, that could be said to anyone of us at any time. SS is a healing platform for hockey madness. And I for one would have had another lobotomy if not for the off the wall humor of this whole mess found within this forum.

Only one has worked out and he is a 2/3 line center in Girgenson, I hope you are right abt Sam, but that only gives that Sabres 1 plus a maybe and a future McEichel assuming they finish last. They drafted one that doesnt look like he is going to turn out and some in the 2nd round that who knows while drafting a lot of D unnecessarily when there was such a glaring hole in the middle. Again, Sabres need to draft centers in first till they are at least 5 deep, 2 for certain one checking and 2 developing. Only then will I get off this drumbeat.

As others are betting on another thread Sam won't be ready till midway next year at earliest... That is not a guarantee and Sabres are still without a number 1-2 center only developing them. Keep drafting them

I wasn't going to respond but Reinhart will be with the Sabres all year.  We have been drafting centers.  If you have the choice though between a LW with top 6 potential or a C with bottom 6 potential you don't draft the center.  We can't just only draft centers.  BPA.

GO SABRES!!!

I fckn hate that team more than any other in Buffalo sports history....

VAN @ ARI   

VAN coming off a 6-2 win at home vs SJS on Tuesday.   VAN goalie Jacob Markstrom was the hero, allowing 3 goals on his first 4 shots before being pulled.    

Winners of 10 straight, ARI is due for a loss here.    VAN has won the last two games they've played in ARI, failing to score in both contests.   VAN is also dealing with some injuries and are comfortably in 2nd place in the Pacific.   Not much on the line for them, they could be looking ahead to their rematch in San Jose this weekend.

Edited by pi2000