Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

Thank you. I am coming in now, little chilly on that ledge. No sir, I will not wear that hideous coat, in your hand....the horror.

But this is not a typical year. That is the point. Yes we will get a good player in the top 4, but a great one in the top two...wanting good things is allowed.

Wanting great things is allowed...but saying anything short of McEichel is a failure is sort of like saying that getting a Corvette sucks because you really wanted a Ferrari.

Wanting great things is allowed...but saying anything short of McEichel is a failure is sort of like saying that getting a Corvette sucks because you really wanted a Ferrari.

Not if you think Corvette's suck.

But a team doesn't intentionally finish at the bottom of the league for any of those other players. That's reserved for the likes of McEichel.

Yeeeeeap

If the intention was legitimately there and this is a tank (it is), then anything outside of McEichel IS a failure. That doesn't mean we'll suck forever. It just means the success likely won't come as soon and other major maneuvering will be needed beyond what was already needed.

Magic Numbers for games played through 3/13 (29 days left in the regular season)

Florida - 1

Colorado - 2

Philadelphia - 5

New Jersey - 8

Columbus - 11

Toronto - 15

Carolina - 17

Arizona - 25

Edmonton - 27

Nashville, Montreal, NY Islanders, Anaheim, NY Rangers, Tampa Bay, Detroit, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington, Minnesota, Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Los Angeles, Boston, San Jose, Dallas, Ottawa - Clinched

NOTE: Dallas actually clinched tonight, not last night as I said before. Either way, they clinched. Ottawa also clinched tonight. Florida, Colorado and Philly can clinch tomorrow.

Current worst case: 3.5% (10th place) in the lottery

Edited by Tank

Not if you think Corvette's suck.

Who in the world thinks Corvettes suck? I'm sure there are people who don't like them, or have other preferences in the price range...but objectively, they do not suck!

Yeeeeeap

If the intention was legitimately there and this is a tank (it is), then anything outside of McEichel IS a failure. That doesn't mean we'll suck forever. It just means the success likely won't come as soon and other major maneuvering will be needed.

Could not possibly disagree more. If the only acceptable outcome is to finish dead last, then tanking is as dumb as many on this board have claimed it to be. Tanking is about getting high picks for elite talent, and that logic holds true even if you miss out on the best and second best prospects to come out in 10 years.

I have nothing to say that I haven't said a million times. We're the worst team and we have the lead as the season dwindles, making us the heavy favorites to finish last. If we still have a 4 point lead on Edmonton after we play our games in hand, everyone should feel really good.

Sir calm down. Though not the ideal outcome, drafting 3rd (or maybe even 4th) is still going to get us a prospect that would compete for #1 overall in a typical draft year.

Yes drafting 3rd or 4th is OK, and Id be OK with being OK, if the team was at least OK. But we're terrible and have made moves to remain terrible..... And yes if I though I was getting a Ferrari and a corvette pulled up, I would be as I said OK, but def unhappy to a decent extent. Ok ok ok. Ok I need to stop drinking, I'm on call this week ;)

Could not possibly disagree more. If the only acceptable outcome is to finish dead last, then tanking is as dumb as many on this board have claimed it to be. Tanking is about getting high picks for elite talent, and that logic holds true even if you miss out on the best and second best prospects to come out in 10 years.

You're acting like Murray and the franchise made a decision to tank and then halfway into the whole ordeal they were talking to some other teams and were like "WHAT!? There are two unbelievably talented prospects in his draft!? Wow, lucky us."

You're acting like Murray and the franchise made a decision to tank and then halfway into the whole ordeal they were talking to some other teams and were like "WHAT!? There are two unbelievably talented prospects in his draft!? Wow, lucky us."

The actions taken by the team, both under Regier and Murray, do not match with an extreme position of McEichel or bust. Both men could have iced a significantly worse roster had they chosen to do so, but they did not. The goal was always to get several high picks in a row and build a team around those selections, be they Reinhart and Eichel or Bennett and Hanifin. 

The actions taken by the team, both under Regier and Murray, do not match with an extreme position of McEichel or bust. Both men could have iced a significantly worse roster had they chosen to do so, but they did not. The goal was always to get several high picks in a row and build a team around those selections, be they Reinhart and Eichel or Bennett and Hanifin. 

Might be an antiquated strategy now that the last place team only gets a 20% chance at the overall #1 and only an 80% at overall #2. Look at Edmonton. They're still working on those high draft picks. You have to build a great team around these choices. By being in the position to draft high, the GM shows the inability to ice a great team. It's a conundrum, a Catch-22.

Edited by 716

not for next year. 

Not sure I understand your line of reasoning, unless you believe that 'one-puck in practice and the season is over Johnson' or 'Lindy's flotsam Lindback' is the Sabres goalie next year.  Jettisoning anyone that could reasonably play goalie in Buffalo has made them worse next year IMO.

Not sure I understand your line of reasoning, unless you believe that 'one-puck in practice and the season is over Johnson' or 'Lindy's flotsam Lindback' is the Sabres goalie next year. Jettisoning anyone that could reasonably play goalie in Buffalo has made them worse next year IMO.

The sabres started the season with 0 goalies under contract for next year. Unless you think Bogosian and Kane will be a downgrade over Myers, there has not been a move this year that makes us worse for next year.

Not sure I understand your line of reasoning, unless you believe that 'one-puck in practice and the season is over Johnson' or 'Lindy's flotsam Lindback' is the Sabres goalie next year. Jettisoning anyone that could reasonably play goalie in Buffalo has made them worse next year IMO.

Enroth and Neuvirth were in the last year of their contracts so it was smart to trade them. I also imagine it's likely he brings one of them back in free agency or someone he perceives to be an upgrade. Trading away Moulson and McCormick last year and then bringing them back turned out to be a good move and I think trading away Enroth and Neuvirth will prove to be good moves as well.

There's probably less than 10 posters here who won't melt down if we don't get McEichel. You've got the anti-tank crowd poised and ready to join hands with the McEichel or bust tankers for an all time epic sabre space nuclear melt down.

Yeh and the bomb shelter under Amherst High auditorium wont be enough to save those 10.... Lol

Collateral damage.

Edited by Fargenov Iceholeski

Skapski starting in net tonight for the Rangers. Are you kidding me with this ? Why does the league allow this? How many starting goalies have Sabres fan seen on home ice this season?

Anyway, ARI hosting the NJD tonight. And EDM hosting TOR tomorrow. (first game of a 6 game home stand for the Oil)

Advantage BUF.

Skapski starting in net tonight for the Rangers. Are you ###### kidding me with this ######? Why does the league allow this? How many starting goalies have Sabres fan seen on home ice this season?

Anyway, ARI hosting the NJD tonight. And EDM hosting TOR tomorrow. (first game of a 6 game home stand for the Oil)

Advantage BUF.

The Rangers are so much better than us, and with Lindback in our goal, I really don't think it matters.