Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

Close. You've explained the 'magic number' so to speak. Which for the 1st place team is equivalent to the RPTC. It will almost always be more than the RPTC for the others, but not absolutely always. (Right? ;))

And once again, to clinch (which is what RPTC measures), you need only to lock in 1 point better than 2nd. It only concerns your team and 2nd place.

:lol:

This will be my last post on the matter but it's still not right. If you get one more point than 2nd place at the end of the day then you're first. BUT if you're 3rd and get enough points to get more points than the team in second then that team becomes third, and making you second...

It doesn't just concern you and the second place team. The first place team will exist until they're no longer first which can only happen if you get more points than them. Meow.

Edited by Tank

This will be my last post on the matter but it's still not right. If you get one more point than 2nd place at the end of the day then you're first. BUT if you're 3rd and get enough points to get more points than the team in second then that team becomes third, and making you second...

It doesn't just concern you and the second place team. The first place team will exist until they're no longer first which can only happen if you get more points than them. Meow.

If the '3rd place team' has more points than the '2nd place team,' are they not, in fact, the '2nd place team?' AND where exactly would that place a team with more points than your '3rd place team' can end the year with? Hmmmmmm. ;)

2nd place is set, the team holding that position isn't. HAVING 1 more point than #2 can get by definition gives you 1st. You appear to want it to be harder than that, but it really isn't. :) I.e. if the 3rd place team could get more than the 2nd place team, then it is the 'actual' 2nd place team and someone w/ 1 more point than they can get IS in 1st.

If the '3rd place team' has more points than the '2nd place team,' are they not, in fact, the '2nd place team?' AND where exactly would that place a team with more points than your '3rd place team' can end the year with? Hmmmmmm. ;)

Where would a team that finishes better than the third place team finish? Second. Unless they also passed the team in first.

I don't really understand what you're missing here. Your argument is that, by definition, you finish first if you are a point ahead of the second place team. That's true as a basic point, but that's only if you ignore that passing the second place team in the standings only moves you into second while the second place team falls to third. Finishing ahead of Edmonton DOES NOT guarantee first place in this. You need to finish ahead of the most points the current first place team could possibly get to clinch it.

Say the Sabres win out and get to 129...

Then the Oilers win out and get to 123...

Your RPTC get teams to 124... So if that all happens the team that gets to 124 only clinches second place. Get it now?

(No love lost, my tanking friend)

Edited by Tank

Current standings through games played 2/12.

Team         GP L  W OT PT MPP PR RPTC

Buffalo      55 36 16 3 75 129 54 49

Edmonton     56 31 16 9 71 123 52 53

Arizona      55 28 20 7 63 117 54 61

Toronto      56 29 23 4 62 114 52 62

Carolina     53 27 19 7 61 119 58 63

New Jersey   54 24 21 9 57 113 56 67

Columbus     52 26 23 3 55 115 60 71

Philadelphia 54 22 23 9 53 109 56 69

MPP = Maximum Possible Points

PR = Points Remaining

RPTC = Remaining Points needed to Clinch 1st Place (will necessarily be > than PR for all (w/ likely exception of team currently in 1st))

BJ's, Joisey, & Desert Dogs in action tonight.

Arizona loses all their remaining games and is awarded 7 magic "Darcy points" to achieve their 61 "Remaining points to clinch" they finish with 124.

Meanwhile, buffalo goes 25-2 and earns 50, they finish with 125.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

Tank, on 13 Feb 2015 - 7:09 PM, said:

Where would a team that finishes better than the third place team finish? Second. Unless they also passed the team in first.

I don't really understand what you're missing here. Your argument is that, by definition, you finish first if you are a point ahead of the second place team. That's true as a basic point, but that's only if you ignore that passing the second place team in the standings only moves you into second while the second place team falls to third. Finishing ahead of Edmonton DOES NOT guarantee first place in this. You need to finish ahead of the most points the current first place team could possibly get to clinch it.

Say the Sabres win out and get to 129...

Then the Oilers win out and get to 123...

Your RPTC get teams to 124... So if that all happens the team that gets to 124 only clinches second place. Get it now?

:lol: Didn't get that "last post on the matter right" either. ;)

As has been stated several times RPTC is 1 more than whatever the 2nd most MPP is MINUS what you currently have. It is extremely simple.

Discounting GC's 'magic points' how many teams can get to 124?

Glass Case Of Emotion, on 13 Feb 2015 - 7:09 PM, said:

Arizona loses all their remaining games and is awarded 7 magic "Darcy points" to achieve their 61 "Remaining points to clinch" they finish with 124.

Well, IF the Desert Dogs COULD get to 124 while Buffalo can get to 129, THEN RPTC for Buffalo would be 50 rather than 49 and it would be 62 for the Desert Dogs.

Nice attempt to get Tank even more confused. :lol:

:lol: Didn't get that "last post on the matter right" either. ;)

As has been stated several times RPTC is 1 more than whatever the 2nd most MPP is MINUS what you currently have. It is extremely simple.

Discounting GC's 'magic points' how many teams can get to 124?

Well, IF the Desert Dogs COULD get to 124 while Buffalo can get to 129, THEN RPTC for Buffalo would be 50 rather than 49 and it would be 62 for the Desert Dogs.

Nice attempt to get Tank even more confused. :lol:

I just think that's tanks thinking, I think both methodologies are valid, tank's might be more traditional, but you guys are the Carrion Commissioners, so I'll leave it to you to sort out. I might suggest these guys to help you find your way together: http://www.couplescounseling.biz/

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

Is 124 an arbitrary number? Do I have to re-read several pages of this thread to find out?

It is not arbitrary, but it is transient. When the Eulers drop any points, it will decrease an equivalent amount.

It is the 2nd highest MPP+1, which currently is the Eulers' 123 + 1 = 124.

Taro T, on 13 Feb 2015 - 7:54 PM, said:

It is not arbitrary, but it is transient. When the Eulers drop any points, it will decrease an equivalent amount.

It is the 2nd highest MPP+1, which currently is the Eulers' 123 + 1 = 124.

...or whomever is in second.  And for every CHL loss, that number goes down by two, meaning the RPTC goes down by two.  Adding the one to the second place team's MPP ensures the clinch.  This makes total sense.  That post before you answered mine made all of it clear.

How about when we go with Lindback-Hackett in net to close out the year? Even if Neuvirth isn't traded, he's bound to get hurt.

Neuvirth gets hurt or traded within the next month and even I say it's over.

Derrico is only a wuss because he knows I get to change his offseason avatar when the Sabres win the CHL to this

1377567485989.jpg

HAHAHAHA, so you didn't forget about that? I'll own it.

Current standings through games played 2/13.

Team         GP L  W  OT PT MPP PR RPTC

Buffalo      55 36 16  3 75 129 54 49

Edmonton     56 31 16  9 71 123 52 53

Arizona      56 29 20  7 65 117 52 59

Toronto      56 29 23  4 62 114 52 62

Carolina     53 27 19  7 61 119 58 63

New Jersey   55 25 21  9 59 115 54 67

Columbus     53 26 24  3 55 113 58 71

Philadelphia 55 22 23 10 54 108 54 67

MPP = Maximum Possible Points

PR = Points Remaining

RPTC = Remaining Points needed to Clinch 1st Place (will necessarily be > than PR for all (w/ likely exception of team currently in 1st))

Big day tomorrow. Everybody but Buffalo and Filly in action. Buffalo hosts Phlyers on Sunday. No potential 1 pointers.

Edited by Taro T

You're on to something here. Maybe RPTC should be renamed "Darcy Points" or "Darcy Number".

This discussion is as entertaining as a sabre game.

I take umbrage with this.

This thread is way more entertaining than a Sabre game.

Much as the team has been unenjoyable to watch, it's very odd that they've ended up with 4 days off in the middle of Feb. for no apparent reason.

It's 'cus everybody new that Murray was going to pull off the trade of the century and we all needed a cool down period.