Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Seen as at least somewhat of a sure fire top six potential. That's not Armia.

His numbers don't blow you away but I think with Reinhart or McEichel he could really flourish. Not in a mop up jam in a rebound kind of way either. He has elite hands. Give him the puck in space and he'll dazzle.

I don't consider the 3 on the team prospects anymore. They are now regulars on the worse team in the league. I don't consider Mackinnon, Eckblad, etc prospects either. They have made the jump.

What we have behind these 3 is one top prospect and a whole bunch of question marks. Am I the only guy who isn't slightly concerned with this??? Yes, we have McEichel possibly coming. And we have probably 4 more players that we can add to the prospect pool.

Call me Debbie Downer but I am not hanging my hat on the two guys in Rochester. They could go either way IMO. As for players in juniors and college. You might get 2-3 guys that can help in 2-4 years.

Why do I say all this?? Because Murray is not going to sniff a Cup by sitting on his hands with what he has in his toolbox. He has to take a few risks. Turning Myers into 3-4 players is a risk I can live with. Taking a gamble on Kane is worth it IMO.

I will get butchered for this but I can honestly see a team next year without Stafford/Stewart/Mitchell/ and Enroth being worse than this year.

He needs to be aggressive!!

I agree with the being aggressive part but rather than selling off a guy like Myers for volume I'd rather go the other way and start packaging picks and prospects for capable young players who are ready to help us turn this team around. Personally I think we should keep Myers unless someone severely overpays but if we are going to move him I'd prefer to hold out for a team willing to send us a young top line winger or prospect very closer to the NHL that projects to that. Someone who can play on Reinhart or McEichel's wing and not look out of place with respect to talent who can grow with them.

All that being said, whether you were pro-tank or anti-tank, it will end this April. The rest of the selling off will occur this month or right before the deadline in early March and the focus should shift towards obtaining players who will be ready to help sooner rather than later and that should be when we'll see what Murray and Nolan are really made of. I'm sure I can speak for just about everyone when I say that it's about freaking time and we are ready for the next stage in the process. This season hasn't been fun for anyone, even those of us who think it was necessary to get our 2nd stud forward to build the team around.

I have absolutely no arguments with all this except .. He needs to be aggressive!!

Murray needs to be one of the best GM's in the league, to build one of the best teams in the league. Aggressive is considered a good trait for a GM, but one of many.

I'll be shocked if GMTM doesn't make a move or three in the off-season to get this rebuild time line moved up.

That article makes them sound like much different players, and makes me more inclined to believe Myers will never play the physical style his size demands. Chara had something to prove, came into the league and fought everyone; he had a drive like nobody else to play in the NHL, and a work ethic to match it. I'm not saying Myers doesn't work hard, but he doesn't have that chip, that motivation that Chara had. I know it's a cliche, but it fits Chara perfectly; the guy had something to prove, and no matter how raw he was, he was determined and worked his ass off. Myers just seems like the opposite. Everyone expects something from him, and he's worried about not delivering. 

His numbers don't blow you away but I think with Reinhart or McEichel he could really flourish. Not in a mop up jam in a rebound kind of way either. He has elite hands. Give him the puck in space and he'll dazzle.

I think your right, I think he has a great chance, but you also described a prototypical Regier prospect. Not saying they (any Regier draft pick) are not , nor could ever be a really good hockey player. To me it was the greatest failing of Regier as GM, to many of the same, hoping for a different result. 

I agree. I have high hopes for him. Not all great players were once high-end prospects.

Edited by Tank

I don't consider the 3 on the team prospects anymore. They are now regulars on the worse team in the league. I don't consider Mackinnon, Eckblad, etc prospects either. They have made the jump.

What we have behind these 3 is one top prospect and a whole bunch of question marks. Am I the only guy who isn't slightly concerned with this??? Yes, we have McEichel possibly coming. And we have probably 4 more players that we can add to the prospect pool.

Call me Debbie Downer but I am not hanging my hat on the two guys in Rochester. They could go either way IMO. As for players in juniors and college. You might get 2-3 guys that can help in 2-4 years.

Why do I say all this?? Because Murray is not going to sniff a Cup by sitting on his hands with what he has in his toolbox. He has to take a few risks. Turning Myers into 3-4 players is a risk I can live with. Taking a gamble on Kane is worth it IMO.

I will get butchered for this but I can honestly see a team next year without Stafford/Stewart/Mitchell/ and Enroth being worse than this year.

He needs to be aggressive!!

I was only commenting on how the rebuild did bring us Risto and Zad and they're only not prospects anymore because they were good enough to make the jump to the NHL at a very young age.  I would have to really do some digging to confirm but I think most of the 2013 draft players are still considered prospects because they're not in the NHL (I'm thinking of guys like Domi and Nurse).

As for Tim being aggressive I am completely on the same page.  I think he will start that come the draft.  It would not surprise me one bit if the Sabres land Kane.  When Murray was hired he came out and discussed the tank openly (too openly in some cases) even making reference to manipulating the roster come trade deadline and how he believes the team will be good after two drafts.  I think the tank was 100% planned for this year and after the season he will do anything and everything to improve the team in the immidiate future.  We keep hearing quotes about how he's ready to make a deal now.  I think Sabres fans having to be 'patient' lasts 2.5 more months and then it is full on Go Time.

I'll be shocked if GMTM doesn't make a move or three in the off-season to get this rebuild time line moved up.

He has said as much, and I think we are all holding him to it. My patience is wearing thin and I think we all feel the same. I  can sense it, as many others must reading each others posts.

I keep telling myself that next years team may very well look just as bad as this years, GMTM is due his third year before judgment, but it's a hard sell.

Don't get me wrong I am happy we have them and believe they will be very good players, but I think it is a stretch to say they are good enough to play in the NHL at such a young age.  I know they are and are playing very well, but it's very unlikely they would be playing in the NHL if they were anywhere other than in Buffalo ... maybe Edmonton.

-----

EDIT:

I'm talking about Risto and Zadorov.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I don't like the concepys of high-end and mid-level prospects. It makes no sense as surely there are more levels than two in regards to nhl potentials. Reinhart is a top tier prospect, while carrier is a middle/average prospect. There has to be a level between that where armia and grigorenko are at. They weren't top 5 picks, but they were first rounders that are producing in the ahl

Zadorov doesn't belong in the NHL this year, and it's safe to assume he'll star next season in Rochester.   There's still a lot he has to learn about the pro game and while he's physically ready, he needs to be playing 30min a game in the AHL to learn all the nuances of the pro game.    I'd like to see him stay in Roch for the entire 15-16 season and then perhaps get a serious look in 2016-17.      

INKMAN, I must also apologize. I re-read my earlier post to directed to you. You may believe that I was being derogatory towards your compliment of Armia. It was not my intent if you took it that way. I believe Darcy drafted many very good hockey players. They where all good skaters, with good hands , and good playmaking ability, it's just that maybe this is the one that is truly a top 6 player on a good team, as you believe he is and I hope you are right.

I know I'm in a minority, but I believe Darcy did well, considering the limited scouting and budget he was afforded till his last half season.

Edited by Woods-Racer

Zadorov doesn't belong in the NHL this year, and it's safe to assume he'll star next season in Rochester.   There's still a lot he has to learn about the pro game and while he's physically ready, he needs to be playing 30min a game in the AHL to learn all the nuances of the pro game.    I'd like to see him stay in Roch for the entire 15-16 season and then perhaps get a serious look in 2016-17.      

I'd be surprised if he went back to the AHL. I think he's played well this year, as well as we can expect from him. He may get more minutes in the AHL, but other than that I don't think he learns a lot down there.

INKMAN, I must also apologize. I re-read my earlier post to directed to you. You may believe that I was being derogatory towards your compliment of Armia. It was not my intent if you took it that way. I believe Darcy drafted many very good hockey players. They with were all good skaters, with good hands , and good playmaking ability, it's just that maybe this is the one that is truly a top 6 player on a good team.

I know I'm in a minority, but I believe Darcy did well, considering the limited scouting and budget he was afforded till his last half season.

No apology necessary. While I was never Darcy's biggest critic, his fatal flaw was also my biggest pet peeve. Identifying players with an edge who can contribute. It seemed he could find one or the other but never a good combination. Foligno, Kassian and McNabb were nice attempts at the end of his run but in hindsight it just looks like a wild swing for the fences. Three strikes and he's out (although mcnabb does seem to be flourishing in LA, Lindy hates toughness!!!)

No apology necessary. While I was never Darcy's biggest critic, his fatal flaw was also my biggest pet peeve. Identifying players with an edge who can contribute. It seemed he could find one or the other but never a good combination. Foligno, Kassian and McNabb were nice attempts at the end of his run but in hindsight it just looks like a wild swing for the fences. Three strikes and he's out (although mcnabb does seem to be flourishing in LA, Lindy hates toughness!!!)

Thank you, and we share the same thoughts on Darcy. I was preaching to the choir.

Zadorov doesn't belong in the NHL this year, and it's safe to assume he'll star next season in Rochester. There's still a lot he has to learn about the pro game and while he's physically ready, he needs to be playing 30min a game in the AHL to learn all the nuances of the pro game. I'd like to see him stay in Roch for the entire 15-16 season and then perhaps get a serious look in 2016-17.

:lol:

Believing that it was/is the best way forward for the Sabres doesn't mean the same thing as believing no other way could have worked.  But we've been through this before.

There are a myriad of variables unique to every organization when confronted with a rebuild.  For DR, GMTM and many posters here those variables when taken into full account overwhelmingly pointed towards tanking as the best way forward.  We're almost there.

Agreed, but that would have to have been done with DR gone about two years before he was.  The lack of replacements to Briere and Drury and the dependance on the the Tin Man, then the ill fated attempt to convert Leino into a center left few other avenues than a full on tank.  Available or accessible high end Centers have been a problem for the Sabres for a long time and only with the Tank does it seem that they have made progress in this regard with Reinhart and McEichel.  I am not sure there are or have been any other options in reality given prior history under DR.

:lol:

Which part are you laughing at? I think he was half right in that Zadorov shouldn't be in the NHL this year, but there's no way he's spending next year in the AHL.

I think it's way too late for that.

Oh and your post does not please Nikita.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.