Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Probably not much. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd and a mid-level prospect.

Starting to get worried about how young the roster is going to be next year. I know he has FA, but we've lost or are going to lose every veteran we have on our team, and the Oilers have shown how well that goes.

Myers garnering more interest around the league as the deadline approaches; specifically the Ducks in this article

http://www.tsn.ca/trade-talk-ducks-show-interest-in-sabres-d-myers-canadiens-eyeing-capitals-d-green-1.197127

The Western Conference leading Anaheim Ducks appear to be in the market for talented Buffalo Sabres defenceman Tyler Myers, according to Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun. Garrioch says Ducks general manager Bob Murray has had regular talks with the Sabres about the availability of the 25-year-old American D-man. Anaheim is one of a handful teams that would be in good position and have the right assets to get a deal done for Myers as Buffalo would likely ask for a considerable amount in return. “He’s got the bargaining chips and there’s a ton of interest in Myers,” said a league executive regarding the position Sabres general manager Tim Murray is in. Garrioch also mentions the Colorado Avalanche and Montreal Canadiens as being possible suitors for Myers. Myers has two goals and eight assists over 42 games in Buffalo this season, his sixth with the organization. 

Who're we trying to pry from Anaheim in return from Myers? I'd imagine it'd be more of a package deal, with Myers + going to Anaheim

Starting to get worried about how young the roster is going to be next year. I know he has FA, but we've lost or are going to lose every veteran we have on our team, and the Oilers have shown how well that goes.

Myers garnering more interest around the league as the deadline approaches; specifically the Ducks in this article

http://www.tsn.ca/trade-talk-ducks-show-interest-in-sabres-d-myers-canadiens-eyeing-capitals-d-green-1.197127

Who're we trying to pry from Anaheim in return from Myers? I'd imagine it'd be more of a package deal, with Myers + going to Anaheim

We're not trying to get anyone from Anaheim because Garrioch is full of shart.

We're not trying to get anyone from Anaheim because Garrioch is full of shart.

Im sure there are lots of people we are trying to get out of Anahiem.

Lots of good young talent there. Personally I am all over Gibson.

And Garrioch is full of shart.

Edited by dudacek

How do you figure? We've got Gionta, Moulson, McCormick, Weber, and Gorges as veterans under contract next season and younger veterans in Ennis, Foligno and Myers. Plus the kids like Girgensons, Ristolainen, and Zadorov will have a year under their belts and there are still opportunities to get more veterans through trades and free agency.

Going into this planned tank season Murray added Gionta, Moulson, Gorges, Mitchell, Meszaros, and Benoit plus held onto Stewart. I imagine once the bottoming out is complete at season's end he won't be shy about adding more.

Looking at those three teams:

Anaheim sends Nick Ritchie or Sami Vatenen plus Rickard Rakell or Decante Smith-Pelly and a mid-level prospect or pick.

Colorado sends up Ryan O'Reilly, a prospect (Pickard, Sgarbossa or Bleackley) and their first for Myers, Grigorenko and a late first.

Montreal sends us Zach Fucale, a prospect (de la Rose, Tinordi), Sven Andrighetto (for the name) and Lars Eller.

How do you figure? We've got Gionta, Moulson, McCormick, Weber, and Gorges as veterans under contract next season and younger veterans in Ennis, Foligno and Myers. Plus the kids like Girgensons, Ristolainen, and Zadorov will have a year under their belts and there are still opportunities to get more veterans through trades and free agency.

Going into this planned tank season Murray added Gionta, Moulson, Gorges, Mitchell, Meszaros, and Benoit plus held onto Stewart. I imagine once the bottoming out is complete at season's end he won't be shy about adding more.

I would imagine they will try to acquire two top-nine veteran forwards to upgrade Stewart, Stafford and Mitchell and one veteran top-four defence man to replace Benny and the Mess. The other spots will be filled by the best of the kids.

Looking at those three teams:

Anaheim sends Nick Ritchie or Sami Vatenen plus Rickard Rakell or Decante Smith-Pelly and a mid-level prospect or pick.

Colorado sends up Ryan O'Reilly, a prospect (Pickard, Sgarbossa or Bleackley) and their first for Myers, Grigorenko and a late first.

Montreal sends us Zach Fucale, a prospect (de la Rose, Tinordi), Sven Andrighetto (for the name) and Lars Eller.

Not saying those are unrealistic deals, but the only one I consider is the O'Reilly one, mostly for that late lottery pick.

When trading Myers a draft pick better not be the main piece... Unless it's top 5.

Oh I agree completely. Mine was a poor post. 

The only one of those trades I consider is the Avs pick because of O'Reilly. None of the others have a player worth giving up Myers for.

I wouldn't do Myers for O'Reilly either without a sweetener. What I was trying to say was that lottery pick might be enough of a sweetener.

just for fun. Wont happen as no GM will ever want to be known as the guy who traded away McDavid

But, If Sabres end up with the #2 pick - would you trade all your 2015 picks to move up 1 spot?

No. With or without McDavid, this is a watershed year to add a lot of talent. Take Eichel and add more pieces.

just for fun. Wont happen as no GM will ever want to be known as the guy who traded away McDavid

But, If Sabres end up with the #2 pick - would you trade all your 2015 picks to move up 1 spot? 

No.  That is how you end up like Pitts with just 1 cup win.  You need a superstar plus depth and that depth comes from those other picks.  If this is like 2003 who would you rather have, Sidney Crosby (ik he was drafted in a different year) or Getzlaf and Perry. 

I think if you draft #2 overall (most likely scenario btw) that you take Jack Eichel, you take Jordan Greenway or Paul Bittner or my new favorite Brock Boeser, and then you take Jacub Zboril.  Eichel, Boeser, Zboril would be a hell of a first round.  All project well at the pro level.  Eichel is #1 C, Boeser is 1/2 line RW and Zboril is top 4 defender.  That would be a hell of a draft.

thats why I said - it won't happen but I am asking from a Sabres stand-point. IF the other team was willling would you trade all your draft picks for McDavid v Eichel?

Quite honestly, it's almost like asking if the sun was green would you look at it.  The premise is so absurd that it's not really something that should be answered.  It's the Joe Sportsfan trade proposal of Hodgson and Stafford for Crosby and Malkin.  But yes, I supposed if Pittsburgh makes that offer, you take it and run.  Of course, not only does Rutherford get fired immediately, but he also gets subjected to mandatory drug testing and is permanently institutionalized.  Wait, can Pittsburgh fire him if he's determined to be mentally handicapped?  I feel like the feds may go after them.  The again, he is Canadian, so I'd be willing to look the other way.

thats why I said - it won't happen but I am asking from a Sabres stand-point. IF the other team was willling would you trade all your draft picks for McDavid v Eichel?

If I were the Sabres and knowing that we are pretty well stocked and if I am confident that many of those prospects have a much better than average chance at being, at least, very good players I would seriously consider that trade.

I would shoot the whole shebang on McDavid being the key to get us one cup.

At my age, that is all I want ... one cup.

Why would the other team have any interest in that?

Consider this:  Florida is a year ahead of the Sabres in their rebuild and is currently 8 points out of the wildcard.  They are not just Connor McDavid away from a championship but they could be a Jack Eichel and 2 firsts away from one.  And they really don't have the fanbase to upset in the process.  Each situation is unique.

Consider this:  Florida is a year ahead of the Sabres in their rebuild and is currently 8 points out of the wildcard.  They are not just Connor McDavid away from a championship but they could be a Jack Eichel and 2 firsts away from one.  And they really don't have the fanbase to upset in the process.  Each situation is unique.

That may be true but the Sabres would be trading 3 firsts and 2nds plus the rest of their draft or would be getting an additional 2nd-7th pick if they traded back (depending on the scenario we are discussing).  Either of those are foolish.  In one instance we lose our entire draft for 1 guy. In the other we get a bunch of pics we don't need.  If the Sabres finish last and draft 1st/2nd they let Tim Murray walk up on stage and say Connor McDavid with the 1st overall selection or Jack Eichel with the 2nd overall selection.

Those 5-7th round draft picks have absolutely not value in this discussion.  No team is going to submit a serious trade offer where they are the one getting those picks in return.  There may be a serious offer out there where a team moves down a slot.  This one is not even remotely close to that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.