Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

What if Eichel pulls a Lindros and says he'll return to college if Buffalo selects him?    It's not out of the realm of possibility.   His family being huge Bruins fans, maybe he wants to stay in Boston.... and then GMTM has a long conversation with Jeremy Jacobs over a couple of Ribeye's at Olivers (i used to work there and saw a lot of JJ).     Would you trade that pick for some kind of combination of picks, prospects, Rask, Pastrnak, and Hamilton? 

Plus Lucic and Reilly Smith right?

He isn't doing that.

But it does remind me of one depressing thought I had: what if we go through all this ###### and then they walk at the very first year they're eligible for UFA?

You lock them up to long term deals way before they are ever eligible for unrestricted free agency and they are unwilling to sign for whatever reason you trade them to the highest bidder while there is still time on their deals. I don't see it happening though. They both seem like they are too high in character for nonsense like that.

He isn't doing that.

But it does remind me of one depressing thought I had: what if we go through all this ###### and then they walk at the very first year they're eligible for UFA?

Well the way I see it, that's where GMTM's job really comes in.... his task is to make the Sabres relevant again before they hit UFA status so they actually want to re-sign here.

Well the way I see it, that's where GMTM's job really comes in.... his task is to make the Sabres relevant again before they hit UFA status so they actually want to re-sign here.

Assuming he is successful, I think with the hockey town we are and the way it's been developing down there, that we wouldn't have to worry about them bolting. And if not, then we suck anyway, and obviously McEichel didn't help the way we had hoped :P

Edited by Randall Flagg

Assuming he is successful, I think with the hockey town we are and the way it's been developing down there, that we wouldn't have to worry about them bolting. And if not, then we suck anyway, and obviously McEichel didn't help the way we had hoped :P

Lol true, but I remain unconvinced that McDavid or Eichel alone are going to turn this franchise around, so Murray still has his work cut out for him after June!

What if Eichel pulls a Lindros and says he'll return to college if Buffalo selects him?    It's not out of the realm of possibility.   His family being huge Bruins fans, maybe he wants to stay in Boston.... and then GMTM has a long conversation with Jeremy Jacobs over a couple of Ribeye's at Olivers (i used to work there and saw a lot of JJ).     Would you trade that pick for some kind of combination of picks, prospects, Rask, Pastrnak, and Hamilton? 

He won't because that isn't the type of kid he is.  And your trade scenario over steak is ludicrous. 

No one is trading the 1st overall or 2nd overall pick. 

He isn't doing that.

I've had this thought, then I think about Kane, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Toews.....when is the last time, or even the percentage, of top 3 picks that leave for UFA? Or, even, how many franchise players, or elite talents such as Getzlaf or Weber, leave the team that drafted them?

I've had this thought, then I think about Kane, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Toews.....when is the last time, or even the percentage, of top 3 picks that leave for UFA? Or, even, how many franchise players, or elite talents such as Getzlaf or Weber, leave the team that drafted them?

When was the last time any of them were playing in Buffalo? Don't get me wrong. I love the city. It's growing and its hockey crazed. BUT there is absolutely still no doubt that some view it in a negative light still and want to get to the bigger cities or Canadian teams... It does worry me a bit. Win and that all likely goes away.

16 scouts/team reps of 10 teams catching AZ/TOR tonight: LA (2), VAN, OTT (2), EDM, DET (2), BUF (2), PHI, MTL (3), STL, NYR

When was the last time any of them were playing in Buffalo? Don't get me wrong. I love the city. It's growing and its hockey crazed. BUT there is absolutely still no doubt that some view it in a negative light still and want to get to the bigger cities or Canadian teams... It does worry me a bit. Win and that all likely goes away.

Granted, Buffalo isn't exactly a highlight destination, but it is getting a little better. The problem is, I can't think of a city like Buffalo, where it's a great market for hockey, but the city lacks in excitement/entertainment to make an accurate comparison.

Edited by WildCard

Granted, Buffalo isn't exactly a highlight destination, but it is getting a little better. The problem is, I can't think of a city like Buffalo, where it's a great market for hockey, but the city lacks in excitement/entertainment to make an accurate comparison.

Saying it's getting a "little better" is selling the city short, but there will always be that stigma until they win a cup and probably beyond that. If they're not contending when a big-time player is nearing UFA what incentive do they have to stick around? Stars can get money anywhere.

Edited by Tank

Saying it's getting a "little better" is selling the city short, but there will always be that stigma until they win a cup and probably beyond that. If they're not contending when a big-time player is nearing UFA what incentive do they have to stick around? Stars can get money anywhere.

We're not talking about foreign UFA's though, we're talking about retaining our guy. And not just UFA's like Ehroff, Brad Richards, etc. I mean Elite stars like Crosby and Kane. Of course they have to be contending to retain those type of guys, but there's a paradox there, because those guys make a team contenders. The only way I see McEichel leaving is if GMTM fails miserably in making a roster to support them for years to come, and so far it looks like our prospects are set to do that. He still has to make the right moves in FA and whatnot, but in recent memory I can't think of a Star player who left the team that drafted him if that team was contending when he left.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I've never been to either city, but if Crosby and Malkin will both stay in Pittsburgh, I don't think we have much to worry about.

Give them a good team and fat contracts, they'll stick around.

Pittsburgh has a rich hockey history vs a rich hockey future. Buffalo has no "good" hockey history. We've been middle of the pack or just above for a long while with nothing to show for it. The Pens had two Cups and are in a fully-immersed and successful sports town. Yes, I know that Pittsburgh was in SERIOUS danger of relocating prior to Crosby getting there, but they still had a rich history and reputation to rely on. There's a different vibe in Pittsburgh than Buffalo because their teams are never down for long (except the Pirates but even they have a rich history and are back near the top).

Having lived all over WNY and about an hour from Pittsburgh (while being in Pitt many many times) I can feel the difference of the two cities. Buffalo feels like you're always hoping for something, but Pittsburgh expects it.

Fourth Period reporting that Montreal is talking to Phoenix about Vermette. Says Phoenix is still trying to extend him but will trade him if a deal isn't done soon. Phoenix wants NHL-ready talent in return.

Edited by Tank

Pittsburgh has a rich hockey history vs a rich hockey future. Buffalo has no "good" hockey history. We've been middle of the pack or just above for a long while with nothing to show for it. The Pens had two Cups and are in a fully-immersed and successful sports town. Yes, I know that Pittsburgh was in SERIOUS danger of relocating prior to Crosby getting there, but they still had a rich history and reputation to rely on. There's a different vibe in Pittsburgh than Buffalo because their teams are never down for long (except the Pirates but even they have a rich history and are back near the top).

Interesting.

For 20-year-olds I guess the past five years would represent a much more significant chunk of what our franchise is.

My view is coloured by 40 years of the Sabres being mostly very competitive and pretty well respected. 

And my view of Pittsburgh is coloured by the pre-Lemieux years. The Sabres never hit those depths.

I still think building a winner will take care of everything.

Players seem to like the owner, families seem to like the city, and the location might not be sexy, but it seems to appeal to hockey players.

Interesting.

For 20-year-olds I guess the past five years would represent a much more significant chunk of what our franchise is.

My view is coloured by 40 years of the Sabres being mostly very competitive and pretty well respected. 

And my view of Pittsburgh is coloured by the pre-Lemieux years. The Sabres never hit those depths.

I still think building a winner will take care of everything.

Players seem to like the owner, families seem to like the city, and the location might not be sexy, but it seems to appeal to hockey players.

Certainly. I'm not dreading it much, because I do think that these players are good enough to make us a winner once the roster is filled out around them. Just something I was thinking about.

I copied this from my post in another thread. Many long time fans have some good memories.

I'm tired of words like mediocre used to describe the franchise, I had to find something positive. 40 years of cheering for this team has had some good times.

The ultimate prize is the Stanley Cup and we haven't done it. However we have won a lot of games. I looked at franchise all time win percentages and we have a good record. The only teams with better all time records than the Sabres are Montreal, Philadelphia and Boston. That's it!

While I would trade our .555 record for New Jersey's 3 cups and below .500 record, it is still something.

Other Stanley Cup winners with sub .500 records are: Chicago, Los Angeles, Tampa Bay and Carolina.

We have had some good teams but just couldn't seal the deal. Let's hope this will happen in the near future, and all of this suffering will be forgotten.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I've never been to either city, but if Crosby and Malkin will both stay in Pittsburgh, I don't think we have much to worry about.

Give them a good team and fat contracts, they'll stick around.

I was going to mention the Pitts. Pitts felt a lot like Buffalo when I was there earlier this year, but 5-10 years further along with the rebuilding.

Having lived all over WNY and about an hour from Pittsburgh (while being in Pitt many many times) I can feel the difference of the two cities. Buffalo feels like you're always hoping for something, but Pittsburgh expects it.

There was a lot of talk of moving the Pens just before Crosby came around, They've had it good for the last 10 years or so, and you may be more right in that kids being drafted now are going to put more stock into that then the periods where they were terrible.

I know Pittsburgh nearly moved. I noted it in an earlier post in the conversation.

Ah, I wasn't reading that closely I guess. In any case, it's tough to say players will want out ofr Buffalo when 10 years ago, Pittsburgh wasn't really in that better of shape either as a franchise or a city.

Anybody think Enroth will be moved?

Where?

No rumours but I wonder if San Jose would want some insurance for the playoffs and would audition him in case Niemi bolts in July.

One of the G will probably move, but the return will be underwhelming (or as a throw-in as part of a bigger trade). G in general don't get a lot unless you're a huge name (Miller).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.