Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Girgs, Risto, and Zadorov are untouchables in my book.

Would I trade Ennis for Eberle straight up, yes. would I trade him for Ennis + Myers, no unless they add their 1st rounder.

I wonder if Arizona would be interested in Hodgson, Regier was certainly high on him.

I'm very reserved in regards to trading with Boston unless we get something pretty special in return.

...like Lucic?

God no. There is no reason to add him to the Sabres and waste money on a middling 2nd line winger at best. Not to mention once removed from Boston I have a sneaking suspicion his shenanigan would be suddenly much less tolerated by the league.

Edited by LGR4GM

God no. There is no reason to add him to the Sabres and waste money on a middling 2nd line winger at best. Not to mention once removed from Boston I have a sneaking suspicion his shenanigan would be suddenly much less tolerated by the league.

Relax, I was trolling. You bit. ;)

I have really soured on Hodgson, at one time he was one of if not my favorite prospects going back to his days in Vancouver. I thought he was an absolute steal for Kassian. Now almost two plus seasons later, with a contract extension he's lost and in limbo. At this point I would take a Dvorak, Lessio, Karlsson, Dalphin grouping for him. He needs a change of scenery more than other guys.

I have really soured on Hodgson, at one time he was one of if not my favorite prospects going back to his days in Vancouver. I thought he was an absolute steal for Kassian. Now almost two plus seasons later, with a contract extension he's lost and in limbo.

I think he, probably more than any other Sabre, was negatively affected by the slide into tankdom. He came into a dysfunctional team and it only got worse. I will say that even though he's not scoring, his plus/minus over the last 8 is even (+1 in second Montreal game, -1 in first San Jose, even in the other six). Defensively he's been taking care of business and eating his share of minutes. I think with the proper peer pressure he could be saved but I wouldn't bet on it.

Bottom line is I'm still hopeful he can be a productive part of the team, but time is running out.

Wait, you don't like the possession metrics we have but you'll point to GVT? Sir, I do not understand you sometimes :lol:

Thought I'd throw it out there since this one is based on goals for/against, which is what matters (as opposed to shots). GTD takes into account both defensive and offensive contribution and basically says "were I to replace this forward (defenseman) with the 13th forward (7th defenseman) how would it affect the team?" I though it was relevant for the "trade CoHo" discussion. He is always at the bottom of the league for this particular stat. ;)

Not sure what is wrong with CoHo. But, 2 points in 26 games for a $4million+ "scorer" is about as bad as it gets. If Darcy likes him so much, he can have him!

I have really soured on Hodgson, at one time he was one of if not my favorite prospects going back to his days in Vancouver. I thought he was an absolute steal for Kassian. Now almost two plus seasons later, with a contract extension he's lost and in limbo. At this point I would take a Dvorak, Lessio, Karlsson, Dalphin grouping for him. He needs a change of scenery more than other guys.

I just finished reading Bobby Orr's autobiography and he shared his opinion on the high salaries in today's game and some players today just don't have the passion for the game. He says many go into it because they have the talent and are pushed in to hockey for the $$$ by parents. He talked about players turning it on in contract years. Good read. Hodgson has the talent. He doesn't have the passion for it.

Thought I'd throw it out there since this one is based on goals for/against, which is what matters (as opposed to shots). GTD takes into account both defensive and offensive contribution and basically says "were I to replace this forward (defenseman) with the 13th forward (7th defenseman) how would it affect the team?" I though it was relevant for the "trade CoHo" discussion. He is always at the bottom of the league for this particular stat. ;)

Not sure what is wrong with CoHo. But, 2 points in 26 games for a $4million+ "scorer" is about as bad as it gets. If Darcy likes him so much, he can have him!

We'll obviously never see eye to eye on the value of shot generation, but thanks. Legit question: do you devalue defensive GVT at all since it includes shots in its calculation, or do you consider it basically a wash because it also uses goals?

As for Hodgson in particular, I think it's pretty clear he's not a Nolan guy. I still think he has value in the right situation though, he's just not a difference maker (and despite the criticism his contract gets, he's not paid to be one). For example I was at the Leafs game a few weeks back, and he made two passes in the first ten minutes that nobody else on this team has the vision or hands to make. I have to believe that type of ability can be useful to a team that can cover for his defensive problems.

I just finished reading Bobby Orr's autobiography and he shared his opinion on the high salaries in today's game and some players today just don't have the passion for the game. He says many go into it because they have the talent and are pushed in to hockey for the $$$ by parents. He talked about players turning it on in contract years. Good read. Hodgson has the talent. He doesn't have the passion for it.

Bobby Orr is a great man and straight shooter.

We'll obviously never see eye to eye on the value of shot generation, but thanks. Legit question: do you devalue defensive GVT at all since it includes shots in its calculation, or do you consider it basically a wash because it also uses goals?

As for Hodgson in particular, I think it's pretty clear he's not a Nolan guy. I still think he has value in the right situation though, he's just not a difference maker (and despite the criticism his contract gets, he's not paid to be one). For example I was at the Leafs game a few weeks back, and he made two passes in the first ten minutes that nobody else on this team has the vision or hands to make. I have to believe that type of ability can be useful to a team that can cover for his defensive problems.

I don't like shots for as an offensive stat since it can arbitrarily rewards guys who skate down the wing and loft wrist shots into the goalie's chest (the Sabres have a few guys like that). For defensive GVT, I can live with shots against being included since it isn't a big component and should loosely account for things like blocked shots. And, shots for is by one person (that player) whereas shots against is by all opponents (multiple players). The whole GVT stat is pretty convoluted. But, I like the attempt to value every player in the league, regardless of position. And, it appears to have a little bit of face validity.

I'd love it, especially because then we'd have a Great Dane to go with our Latvian Locomotive.

Sadly, I doubt Arizona would trade him.

Edmonton might work too, they seem hellbent on getting a #2 center and Hodgson is that.

Since when can anybody, even semi-definitively, say Hodgson is a number two center?

I'd love it, especially because then we'd have a Great Dane to go with our Latvian Locomotive.

Sadly, I doubt Arizona would trade him.

Edmonton might work too, they seem hellbent on getting a #2 center and Hodgson is that.

Yeah i doubt it to, but i read somewhere he is in the doghouse and not performing well this season.

Yeah i doubt it to, but i read somewhere he is in the doghouse and not performing well this season.

The article about him being available had nothing to do with the dog house or performing. He's one of the few Yotes playing well (8-8-16 in 23 games). It's that they know they won't be able to pay him going forward and want to shake things up.

I personally love the idea of trading for Boedker.

If Arizona is looking at a fire sale then I would be all over Boedker, Yandle and OEL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.