Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

The article about him being available had nothing to do with the dog house or performing. He's one of the few Yotes playing well (8-8-16 in 23 games). It's that they know they won't be able to pay him going forward and want to shake things up.

I personally love the idea of trading for Boedker.

If Arizona is looking at a fire sale then I would be all over Boedker, Yandle and OEL.

Must have misread it then, wonder what it will take from us to nab him though.

I agree that he's not a difference-maker, but I think 6 years, $25.5MM is a contract that you should only give to a difference-maker.

Agreed. I mean I don't think that any NHL team would pay any player any amount of money if they aren't a difference maker or supposed to be one. But his contract in particular is one set for a difference-making player.

If you're not sure that a player is or is going to be a difference maker then you don't give them a six-year deal.

Edited by Tank

I agree that he's not a difference-maker, but I think 6 years, $25.5MM is a contract that you should only give to a difference-maker.

I agree wholeheartedly. He's the new Stafford except he doesn't put in the effort Staff does. He'll never live up to the contract. Just my op

I don't like shots for as an offensive stat since it can arbitrarily rewards guys who skate down the wing and loft wrist shots into the goalie's chest (the Sabres have a few guys like that). For defensive GVT, I can live with shots against being included since it isn't a big component and should loosely account for things like blocked shots. And, shots for is by one person (that player) whereas shots against is by all opponents (multiple players). The whole GVT stat is pretty convoluted. But, I like the attempt to value every player in the league, regardless of position. And, it appears to have a little bit of face validity.

Thing is, you can lob this criticism at any stat. +/- and goals are the same way...they can arbitrarily reward randomness or low percentage plays or players who had nothing to do with an event. The advantage shot attempts have, in my opinion, is that they are so frequent that this "reward" is very unlikely to make it look like random RW shooting into the goalie's chest is doing more than somebody who is actually effective at working the cycle on a regular basis. I think +/- in particular has a much higher likelihood of crediting/blaming the wrong guy.

I also like what GVT is trying to do, and I don't make too many "wtf how is that possible" remarks when looking at it, but I'm definitely skeptical of its true ability to value players across positions.

Not really related, but I cannot wait to see how the SportsVU cameras get implemented for hockey, and if the data will be made publicly available. Would take a lot of the argument about proxies out of the new stats vs. old stats debate. (I think I'm just going to stick with "new stats" since you and others are totally right in that they aren't "advanced" in any meaningful way).

I'll give you the 6 year term, that should be reserved for difference makers. But barely over a $4 million cap hit? Here are the 20 closest in terms of cap hit: http://capgeek.com/comparables/?player_id=732

There are without question better players than Hodgson on that list, especially if you only consider this season. But difference makers? I only count a handful of those, and a whole lot of "can be valuable in the right situation" players. Of course, it's very possible we think of different things with the term "difference maker."

He deserves to go to the guy that gave him that.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/buf141207.html

Based on these returns Murray should wait for the deadline

The only return that doesn't look great there is Stewart. Myers and Hodgson would be great deals if they got that much (especially Hodgson). The rest are guys we never expected to return much, if anything.

Sure. That's what the suggested returns include. If picks are in there and don't appear to significantly diminish the physical return them I'm okay.

Detroit's surprising a ton of people right now (2nd in the East as of tonight), wouldn't be surprised to see them make a reach for Myers at some point if they feel like they can make a run in the playoffs.

I'll admit my previous argument for Mantha would be terrible, mostly because Myers has played much better lately and McEichel doesn't appear to be a lock anymore, but I still feel like a Myers for Mantha trade, or some younger talent from Detroit, is possible.

Otherwise, who're we looking at for trade partners right now?

Myers---> Detroit, Anaheim, Edmonton(?), Vancouver(?)

Stewart--->Ottawa, Boston, Pittsburgh, and nearly every other contender looking for grit in the playoffs

What about Stafford, Hodgson, etc? Anyone have any thoughts about where they could be heading? I have a feeling Hodgson will leave before the seasons out: he's not Murray's guy and it might be best to get value for him while we can.

Can we stop debating made up trades with no details to boot?

No. It's either this or study for my finals

Can we stop debating made up trades with no details to boot?

You can if you want. We have fun.

I think Vancouver is the best trade fit for us and Myers.

Stewart's best fit is probably Boston. Not sure what they have to offer.

Stafford? Who cares. Take him.

Hodgson? I think his best fit would be somebody like Phoenix or Edmonton.

You can if you want. We have fun.

I think Vancouver is the best trade fit for us and Myers.

Stewart's best fit is probably Boston. Not sure what they have to offer.

Stafford? Who cares. Take him.

Hodgson? I think his best fit would be somebody like Phoenix or Edmonton.

I have read that Vancouver has been sniffing around. That and their lack of depth on D with injuries make it a good fit.

Don't think he'll come cheap but they may be looking for prospects mainly. Grigorenko may be a key piece there.

I hope not. We have several players in the pipeline with the "promise" of what Boedker would bring. Grigorenko has elite skills. Outside of Grigorenko and Reinhardt the Sabres pipeline is full of "projected" 2nd or 3rd line player in the NHL. Especially since Grigorenko has shown marked improvement this year, I don't think we should give up on him just yet.

I hope not. We have several players in the pipeline with the "promise" of what Boedker would bring. Grigorenko has elite skills. Outside of Grigorenko and Reinhardt Reinhart the Sabres pipeline is full of "projected" 2nd or 3rd line player in the NHL. Especially since Grigorenko has shown marked improvement this year, I don't think we should give up on him just yet.

I agree. I think Grigorenko's true potential is just starting to show through. His skating is markedly improved and I believe that was a key reason he appeared "lazy" or "slow" during his NHL time. He simply couldn't skate well. Reminds me a bit of what is going on with Draisaitl out in Edmonton.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.