What would you do with Reinhart?

mjd1001

What would you do with Samson Reinhart?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. From what you know now, would you

• Keep him with the Sabres no matter what. He is the 2nd overall pick he belongs here.
    • Keep him with the Sabres as long as he doesn't look totally out of place.
    • Keep him with the Sabres only if it is clear is he is one of the best 6 forwards RIGHT NOW.
    • Send him to Juniors no matter what. The team doesn't need him now, and he will be better in the long run with a year in Juniors to get stronger and play top minutes every game.

Geez Louise. The Reinhart-sky-may-be-falling school of thought is madness. Madness.

He was arguably the best forward prospect in a weak draft. Get over it.

Aye.

It's not really a sky is falling as much as it is an observation that our highest pick since Turgeon isn't looking like the flashy uber-talented guy the fans need to rally around.

It is a sort of, we finished in last for this? We are cognizant of the fact that patience is warranted, but a guy that isn't putting up occassional wows is a little disappointing, no?

It's Darcy's fault (throwback!) for waiting and waiting and not getting in on MacKinnon or Drouin.

It's Darcy's fault (throwback!) for waiting and waiting and not getting in on MacKinnon or Drouin.

There is truthi-ness in that statement. We bottomed out in a draft class that maybe lacked elite level talent when the right time to bottom out was in a shortened season with a near elite level player at the top of the board. Such is the life of a Sabres fan.

In a year or two, if he's on a positive development track, why not trade him for established talent? GMTM has said he has no appetite for a five-year rebuild, and I think he's on record as saying some of the prospects and picks could be turned around for "real NHL players" (my term) when the team is closer to competing. And I would think that calculus changes dramatically if the Sabres get a generational player in the next draft.

Just something to chew on. Don't fall in love with any of these kids. Tim seems like just the cold-hearted, dead-eyed kind of guy who would trade his mother.

On the other hand, you might want to keep players like him (and next years picks) developing even if they take 3-5 years to reach potential. You put together a very good, competing team with what you have now as the current young players come into their own (Risto, Girgensons, Grigo, etc.) Then in 3-5 years, as they come up for contract, or older players like Ennis, Stewart, etc come up for a BIG contract, you have to worry less about overpaying them because you have the next set of young guys who are ready for the NHL to plug in.

I personally like that idea the best. I'm not even big on trading prospects for top players, I'm more of the mind of always developing your prospects and when they are ready (if even 3+ years after they are drafted), to plug them in then.

In a year or two, if he's on a positive development track, why not trade him for established talent? GMTM has said he has no appetite for a five-year rebuild, and I think he's on record as saying some of the prospects and picks could be turned around for "real NHL players" (my term) when the team is closer to competing. And I would think that calculus changes dramatically if the Sabres get a generational player in the next draft.

Just something to chew on. Don't fall in love with any of these kids. Tim seems like just the cold-hearted, dead-eyed kind of guy who would trade his mother.

I really don't understand this line of reasoning. If he's on a positive development curve, in two years he'll be established NHL talent, and on a value contract to boot. The only way we consider moving him is if he's been a disappointment.

Maybe physically. Emotionally and maturity? Not so much.

Absolutely, but I feel like the main questions with Samson (like Toews) are physical.

At least at North Dakota, Toews was playing against some fully grown men with speed and size that he had to adjust to. In the WHL Samson will be playing against 16 year old boys who he can dance circles around without ever needing to adjust anything speed or strength wise.

The CHL may be more talented, but if the prospect needs to develop physically it's just absolutely the wrong venue.

Absolutely, but I feel like the main questions with Samson (like Toews) are physical.

At least at North Dakota, Toews was playing against some fully grown men with speed and size that he had to adjust to. In the WHL Samson will be playing against 16 year old boys who he can dance circles around without ever needing to adjust anything speed or strength wise.

The CHL may be more talented, but if the prospect needs to develop physically it's just absolutely the wrong venue.

The agreement that the NHL and CHL sucks but until something is done with it they will have to decide to keep him or send him back. I'm all for sending him back. Their is no need to rush him when clearly he isn't ready to be in the top 6. I don't think u keep him up and end up with another Grigs situation. Reinhart and Zadorov both really need to be developing in the AHL but can't.

The Seguin effect?

Give him the 9, see how he looks.

He doesn't have much more to prove in his former league, and will need to start adjusting to the NHL at some point.

I would lean towards keeping him up no matter what, but that's just me. He is more mentally developed than Grigs was when we kept him up, so I think he'd be fine.

It's insane to call a 18 year old a bust after one development camp, one prospects tournament, and three preseason games.

I hate to see what people say if we're blessed enough to get McDavid or Eichel and he doesn't put up four points in his first exhibition.

I don't think anybody is labeling him a bust. Just think after going through a season like we did we were expecting a little more. He will most likely end up being a fine player.

Samson Reinhart was the 1st forward taken in the draft. To that point, Leon Draisaitl the player taken after Samson has been, for now, given a roster spot on the Edmonton Oilers. Personally I don't care what Edmonton does and they lack the center depth Buffalo can muster. That being said my question then becomes do other people think it matters? or do you care if Leon plays the entire season while Sam goes down?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.