What would you do with Reinhart?

mjd1001

What would you do with Samson Reinhart?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. From what you know now, would you

• Keep him with the Sabres no matter what. He is the 2nd overall pick he belongs here.
    • Keep him with the Sabres as long as he doesn't look totally out of place.
    • Keep him with the Sabres only if it is clear is he is one of the best 6 forwards RIGHT NOW.
    • Send him to Juniors no matter what. The team doesn't need him now, and he will be better in the long run with a year in Juniors to get stronger and play top minutes every game.

In a year or two, if he's on a positive development track, why not trade him for established talent? GMTM has said he has no appetite for a five-year rebuild, and I think he's on record as saying some of the prospects and picks could be turned around for "real NHL players" (my term) when the team is closer to competing. And I would think that calculus changes dramatically if the Sabres get a generational player in the next draft.

Just something to chew on. Don't fall in love with any of these kids. Tim seems like just the cold-hearted, dead-eyed kind of guy who would trade his mother.

I like the kid's game. He is giving good effort and he is being defensively responsible.

He's not strong or fast, but it's not like he's being pushed around, or that he can't keep up.

WJAG nailed the issue: he's an offensive centre who is not producing offence, not only points, but chances.

The question is where will he develop more:

In juniors where things are very easy for him, but he is protected.

Or the NHL, where he is challenged, but may struggle.

It the moment it looks like the AHL is the right place for him.

More evidence of why that rule needs to change.

I like the kid's game. He is giving good effort and he is being defensively responsible.

He's not strong or fast, but it's not like he's being pushed around, or that he can't keep up.

WJAG nailed the issue: he's an offensive centre who is not producing offence, not only points, but chances.

The question is where will he develop more:

In juniors where things are very easy for him, but he is protected.

Or the NHL, where he is challenged, but may struggle.

It the moment it looks like the AHL is the right place for him.

More evidence of why that rule needs to change.

I think as long as he can play well in the defensive zone like he did last night he'll be on the team this year in a third line center role.

What concerns me is people are questioning his speed. The last thing a second overall pick should be lacking is speed. You can give me all the hockey IQ crap you want but it don't mean a damn thing if you can't keep up. The fact the we have now drafted two centers with skating issues with our l first round picks is unacceptable.

Andrew Luck was considered one of the smartest QB's in years to come out of college. Do you think he goes #1 if he had a weak arm? My point is you can't teach skill.

I hope we are all overreacting and look stupid down the road. However, when you have had the importance of getting a top tier pick rammed down your throat for the last two years you expect more for your suffering.

Drafting the best forward in the draft class is not unacceptable

Samson doesn't have any skill that translates to a noodle arm

If you expect top picks to translate a year after you draft them, or if you think that was what was rammed down your throat, then you are a little mis-informed and want to double check what gets rammed down your throat (I had too...sorry). Draft picks take years to show results. We drafted ristolainen and zadorov a year ago. Neither were top 5 picks. They arent going to show a ton of NHL results yet. Samson was drafted a few months ago. He isn't going to show NHL results yet either.

Drafting the best forward in the draft class is not unacceptable

Samson doesn't have any skill that translates to a noodle arm

If you expect top picks to translate a year after you draft them, or if you think that was what was rammed down your throat, then you are a little mis-informed and want to double check what gets rammed down your throat (I had too...sorry). Draft picks take years to show results. We drafted ristolainen and zadorov a year ago. Neither were top 5 picks. They arent going to show a ton of NHL results yet. Samson was drafted a few months ago. He isn't going to show NHL results yet either.

Being the top offensive prospect is debatable. I think both Edmonton and Calgary got who they wanted. He was picked #2. All signs point to him needing work on his skating. You ok with that? Fine.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being concerned that we haven't seen Reinhart produce any offense yet, or that he doesn't seem to be a good skater.

I also think it's far too early to come to any conclusions as to whether he was the right guy for them to have drafted.

Bottom line is that we won't know for at least a couple of years.

I'll keep the thread pinned until they decide whether to keep him up or send him down (unless I'm overruled by the Dark Lord or his Council of Elders, that is).

John Tavares was drafted #1 and needed work on his skating. Even the best prospects aren't finished products at 18.

Whatever makes you guys feel better is fine by me. Rationalize however you want. When i am asked to "suffer" and our intent is to suck for the opportunity to draft impact players i expect impact. Not two years from now. Today. I am thoroughly sick of waiting and hoping. We did that for two years before Armia got here. Guess what? We are still doing it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being concerned that we haven't seen Reinhart produce any offense yet, or that he doesn't seem to be a good skater.

I also think it's far too early to come to any conclusions as to whether he was the right guy for them to have drafted.

Bottom line is that we won't know for at least a couple of years.

I'll keep the thread pinned until they decide whether to keep him up or send him down (unless I'm overruled by the Dark Lord or his Council of Elders, that is).

Not crazy about any thread getting pinned. I find it somewhat annoying that I have to look in two different places to find new posts. Let the market decide. But if it's going to be pinned, can we get a better subject line? (And "Samson" still might be a head-scratcher to some fans.)

I'm not overly concerned yet. I just point out that a gifted scorer finds way to get points. He hasn't. That fact alone is interesting to me. If he tallies a point or two in the next game, so be it. But in a game where four goals were scored last night, you would hope your top prospect was involved in some way. If nothing else, to feel good about his prospects and the teams.

I'm not sure where this "needs work on his skating" is coming from.

He can skate just fine.

Maybe you guys are talking about "needs work on when to use his skating" or "when to push the pace?"

To me, his biggest issue is adjusting to how much less time he has playing with faster, smarter players.

When i am asked to "suffer" and our intent is to suck for the opportunity to draft impact players i expect impact. Not two years from now. Today. I am thoroughly sick of waiting and hoping. We did that for two years before Armia got here. Guess what? We are still doing it.

Oh give me a break. If you expect prospects to make an impact "today" then you are just being irrational and following no sense of logic. Armia was picked in the second half of the first round and wasn't trelated to this rebuild or regime, stop bringing him up. Two years before armia got here you weren't asked to suffer, we were in the playoffs for christ's sake.

Its the preseason and you are not understanding why an 18 year old hasn't adjusted to the nhl. This is the nhl, thats how it works 99.9 percent of the time

Edited by Numark

Oh give me a break. If you expect prospects to make an impact "today" then you are just being irrational and following no sense of logic. Armia was picked in the second half of the first round and wasn't trelated to this rebuild or regime, stop bringing him up. Two years before armia got here you weren't asked to suffer, we were in the playoffs for christ's sake.

Its the preseason and you are not understanding why an 18 year old hasn't adjusted to the nhl. This is the nhl, thats how it works 99.9 percent of the time

No you give me a break. This is not a mid-round pick. This is the #2 pick in the draft. A pick that should be able to make the team blindfolded. Just like the rest of the #2 picks the last twenty years.

Listen, if your good work the results so far great. I hope and think it will all work out. I just expected more at this point - even if it is early. I also would be willing to offer you the wager of your choice that management didn't expect more also. Sending him back to junior was probably something that was not in their plans. However, if he isn't ready they have no choice.

As for Armia we will let time (there is that more time thing again) play out. Sorry, nothing there has me thinking he is what we all envisioned 2 years ago when it was Armia Armia Armia on here.

He can skate just fine.

Maybe you guys are talking about "needs work on when to use his skating" or "when to push the pace?"

To me, his biggest issue is adjusting to how much less time he has playing with faster, smarter players.

Yeah I don't know what people are talking about either with the skating. He's fine.

No you give me a break. This is not a mid-round pick. This is the #2 pick in the draft. A pick that should be able to make the team blindfolded. Just like the rest of the #2 picks the last twenty years.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/nhl-draft-picks/2nd-overall/20509/

Read this list, then read it again, and take a deep breath. Things will be okay.

Then again, I don't remember how these guys' first three preseason games went, maybe they WERE getting points and giving their fan bases collective sighs of relief. Or maybe they weren't and their fans were hitting the message boards with cries of doom

Read this list, then read it again, and take a deep breath. Things will be okay.

Then again, I don't remember how these guys' first three preseason games went, maybe they WERE getting points and giving their fan bases collective sighs of relief. Or maybe they weren't and their fans were hitting the message boards with cries of doom

Well done.

He can skate just fine.

I think skating is often conflated with speed/acceleration (I know I'm guilty of this). Nobody should confuse Reinhart with Ennis, but he's not year 1 Grigorenko either.

Ok just to be a Dick. Take that list and lets go back 15 years. Where does Samson get picked? My point is i am afraid of what was at the top of his draft more than anything else. Not a knock on him. Should be good NHL player. Just don't think he will be at the level of most #2s.

Also doesn't help the year that Buffalo is by far the worst of any team the draft isn't as hyped as the 2013 and 2015 that has more than a few studs at the top and solid players throughout. I like Reinhart a lot and that's the guy I wanted all year but myself like a few others would have thought he would at least put up a point or two and standout alittle. But unfortunately that isn't the case right now. I've been saying if he was going to make this team as a top 6 player he would have to standout like Myers did years ago and up to this point it hasn't happened. I don't know what is going through Murray's and the coaching staff's head about him staying or being sent back. I've heard a lot more about Grigs being a lot better than Reinhart stepping in now. My question is him and Grigs right now aren't 1-2 line centers. Yeah they could probably go third line either one of them but I don't know if that's the plan for either of those guys. I just don't want another Grigs situation throwing the kid in the mix when the team is still building. How I look at it if Tampa can send Druion down who I feel is a better player what makes you think Reinhart can't be sent down. I don't care where he was drafted it is all based on his development and helping the team long term. Me personally send the kid back down.

Can't say I've seen much of him as I haven't been able to watch any games - but from all the interviews I've seen, it seems to me that he just doesn't look too bothered about being here. I obviously could be wrong and it's not a massive sample size I agree, but compared to some of the other prospects I've seen - namely Bennett and Ehlers, they both seem delighted every time they're infront of a camera. Anyway, feel free to correct me.

On to the 'what to do'... Not everyone's the same. He was drafted with a huge spotlight on him, and some people take longer to adjust to that than others. A year or 2 in the juniors should do him fine. Just because his draft position was high, doesn't mean he should be thrown out there if he's not ready.

Geez Louise. The Reinhart-sky-may-be-falling school of thought is madness. Madness.

He was arguably the best forward prospect in a weak draft. Get over it.

A lot of us get that but to a lot of folks including myself would have thought he would standout alittle especially on the leagues worst team and so far that hasn't happened. I'm not too concerned about it I'm more about not rushing him into the lineup just because he was picked second. That number doesn't mean ###### to me if the player isn't ready. We all seen what poor management can do to a young player( Grig's) I don't know if they want another situation like that.

Geez Louise. The Reinhart-sky-may-be-falling school of thought is madness. Madness.

He was arguably the best forward prospect in a weak draft. Get over it.

It's not really a sky is falling as much as it is an observation that our highest pick since Turgeon isn't looking like the flashy uber-talented guy the fans need to rally around.

It is a sort of, we finished in last for this? We are cognizant of the fact that patience is warranted, but a guy that isn't putting up occassional wows is a little disappointing, no?

Edited by weave

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.