Official: NHL expanding to Vegas for '17-18

Hoss

I still think it wouldn't make sense to acquire Kulikov if you didn't plan on extending him. I'm assuming he will be extended and we'll protect four d.

My four forwards would be:

O'Reilly

Okposo

Girgensons

Kane

Ennis and Larsson are the only other two in consideration. I'm not wasting a spot on Foligno. This season could determine whether Ennis or Larsson replace Girgensons.

For the first two seasons which is what many top free agents are getting just to guarantee they won't be in the expansion draft.

Thanks

So after stopping at T-Mobile Arena this week for several events and talking to a bunch of people who either visit often or live in the area I think this city has a good start on the NHL.

The arena itself is beautiful from the major roadways and in a GREAT spot on the strip (Excalibur and New York New York are both within five minutes of walking, MGM within eight and the strip is an easy walk overall anyways). No need to Uber your way to the arena unless you're staying on Fremont/other parts of Vegas (I don't know why you would, Fremont was such a waste of time). And the relaxation of sitting by a large sheet of ice will definitely be a popular play in Vegas.

The inside of the arena has plenty of concessions and the seating is very comfortable (it's steep because they'll be hosting a ton of fights, too). Hard to judge the cleanliness and staff since these events weren't full-venue events.

It'll take some time for the inside of the building to have some personality, though, as it's mostly just light silvers and pink (yes, a LOT of pink) right now as T-Mobile is the only sponsor. THe NHL is coming but you wouldn't know it as there isn't a single mention of it anywhere in the building. There are generic mentions of sports in there, but they whole inside is still basically just a T-Mobile advertisement.

From what I could see of the clubs and suites they are going to be among the best in the league. Very unique look and angles for some of them. There is a balcony that hangs over the top level in each corner but I'm not sure if that'll be for people with tickets or crews, but the balconies give it a cool/unique look.

I hope to be out there sometime and see a game. Definitely a good venue.

So after stopping at T-Mobile Arena this week for several events and talking to a bunch of people who either visit often or live in the area I think this city has a good start on the NHL.

The arena itself is beautiful from the major roadways and in a GREAT spot on the strip (Excalibur and New York New York are both within five minutes of walking, MGM within eight and the strip is an easy walk overall anyways). No need to Uber your way to the arena unless you're staying on Fremont/other parts of Vegas (I don't know why you would, Fremont was such a waste of time). And the relaxation of sitting by a large sheet of ice will definitely be a popular play in Vegas.

The inside of the arena has plenty of concessions and the seating is very comfortable (it's steep because they'll be hosting a ton of fights, too). Hard to judge the cleanliness and staff since these events weren't full-venue events.

It'll take some time for the inside of the building to have some personality, though, as it's mostly just light silvers and pink (yes, a LOT of pink) right now as T-Mobile is the only sponsor. THe NHL is coming but you wouldn't know it as there isn't a single mention of it anywhere in the building. There are generic mentions of sports in there, but they whole inside is still basically just a T-Mobile advertisement.

From what I could see of the clubs and suites they are going to be among the best in the league. Very unique look and angles for some of them. There is a balcony that hangs over the top level in each corner but I'm not sure if that'll be for people with tickets or crews, but the balconies give it a cool/unique look.

I hope to be out there sometime and see a game. Definitely a good venue.

Is the scoreboard centered over the ice? :)

Seems like it will be.

If Brooklyn is the comparable stadium to this one then T-Mobile blows it out of the water (which isn't hard because Barclays is a heaping mess).

That situation has to be driving the players mad. How long till Uniondale says we'll do it and they move back?

• 4 weeks later...

There is a delay in naming the team as Canadian Copy Right Laws will not allow the team to have the team called The Knights as that is an infringement on the London Knights since they already carry the name.

http://m.reviewjournal.com/sports/nhl-vegas/bill-foley-again-asks-fans-patience-nhl-team-name

This makes zero sense to me. You're the London Knights. They want to be the Las Vegas Knights. You play in completely different leagues at completely different levels.

Las Vegas Nights and Las Vegas Aces are my two favorites.

This makes zero sense to me. You're the London Knights. They want to be the Las Vegas Knights. You play in completely different leagues at completely different levels.

Las Vegas Nights and Las Vegas Aces are my two favorites.

What about the Kitchener Rangers or Lethbridge Hurricanes?

What about the Kitchener Rangers or Lethbridge Hurricanes?

The Kitchener Rangers were owned by the New York Rangers which is why they had the name and look.

Maybe the Carolina Hurricanes paid Lethbridge?

Still doesn't make sense.

Yeah, doesn't really make sense to me.

What about the reverse scenario, lots of teams adopt NHL names. I guess that could be seen as a form of advertising.

Imagine if every Tykes/Squirts team had to pay to use their favorite names.

The Las Vegas Squirts. I like it.

I'm still leaning towards the Las Vegas Vegans though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.