Official: NHL expanding to Vegas for '17-18

Hoss

That was my wording, not the league. Their official ruling clarifies first or second year pros. I think we all know it would obviously include first-year pros, too...

I meant the original wording you posted. It said first and second year pros, and not the original 2 years pro or less. The new wording you posted seems to be coming from the league, too.

Anyways, it's irrelevant, right? Even though it only says first and second year pros and unsigned draftees, it obviously includes signed prospects as well.

Yea, a signed prospect would be a "first-year pro..."

Kind of. But I wouldn't call Cornel, for example, a first year pro right now, even though he's a signed prospect. He didn't play a pro season this year. Like you said, it's whatever season a guy is currently in at time of draft. But I guess he could be classified as such for purposes of the expansion draft.

We are language parsing right now and it's completely unnecessary, I know. :p

The draft isn't until next year. Again, it doesn't matter what you call him right now. He will be first-year pro when the draft takes place. He will play in Rochester this season.

Talking past eachother. I was using him as an example if the draft was this year.

I was merely curious as to what a player like him would be classified as, if say the draft was taking place this year. In regards to next year, chose any player you want who will sign a deal near the end of next year, after playing a year of junior. Technically they aren't a first year pro OR an unsigned draftee.

Edited by Thorny

How do they fill out their AHL club.   And will that team also play in Vegas?

This is the question I came here to ask.  They finally got their 30 AHL teams so that there is a 1:1 ratio with the NHL parent clubs.  I suppose they have a little while to figure out if they can get an extra AHL somewhere.  Teams come and go int he AHL somewhat regularly and swiftly, it seems.

ESPN Guestimated Expansion Roster, no Sabres are taken in their expansion draft, which seems unlikely.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/16375666/nhl-our-projected-las-vegas-expansion-team-roster

It doesn't just seem unlikely, it's against the rules. But that's not the full roster, anyways. Edited by Hoss

This is the question I came here to ask.  They finally got their 30 AHL teams so that there is a 1:1 ratio with the NHL parent clubs.  I suppose they have a little while to figure out if they can get an extra AHL somewhere.  Teams come and go int he AHL somewhat regularly and swiftly, it seems.

I expect the AHL will expand by adding a team in their Pacific division.  Probably a city nearby like Reno or Salt Lake City.  Arizona just moved their team to Tucson for next season.

I expect the AHL will expand by adding a team in their Pacific division.  Probably a city nearby like Reno or Salt Lake City.  Arizona just moved their team to Tucson for next season.

Maybe Portland can get back the team it just lost.

Maybe Portland can get back the team it just lost.

Unlikely due to the distance from other teams.  Florida moved their team from Portland to Springfield, which puts it close to a number of teams.  And Montreal plans to move their St. John's team to Laval after next season when an arena is completed.  The best Portland could do is join the ECHL like Manchester and Adirondack.

I know QC won't happen because of geography issues, but I also can't see the NHL just keep ignoring them.

That city deserves an NHL team.   Maybe bettman assumes a team from the east might have to relocate any time soon.

But if relocation isn't happening any time soon, a 15 vs 17 conference is out of the Question.   

Only solution would be having one different team from the east join the central conference each year.

Make it some sort of lottery, where a team that has been unluckily chosen to do so is exempt for the next 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I did a quick expansion draft with the General Fanager expansion tool: http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/expansion

Here is the roster post draft.

Andrew Cogliano - Colin Wilson - Marian Gaborik

Ondrej Palat - David Desharnais - Drew Stafford

Matt Calvert - Joe Colborne - Cal Clutterbuck

Antoine Roussel - Darren Helm - Matt Read

William Carrier - Lance Bouma - Beau Bennett

Marco Scandella - Kevin Klein

Dmitry Orlov - Trevor Daley

Jay Bouwmeester - Mark Pysyk

Marc Methot - Justin Braun

Ryan Miller - Jonathan Bernier - Malcolm Subban

Some of these players are somewhat unlikely to be available as I'm sure their teams will find a way to protect them or move them, but it's a rough mockup just based on what teams could do.

Free agency isn't impressive next season and the draft is unlikely to produce any immediate NHLers for them, so this is probably about what we'll see talent wise. That's a very competitive roster.

Alright, so I did a quick expansion draft with the General Fanager expansion tool: http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/expansion

Here is the roster post draft.

Andrew Cogliano - Colin Wilson - Marian Gaborik

Ondrej Palat - David Desharnais - Drew Stafford

Matt Calvert - Joe Colborne - Cal Clutterbuck

Antoine Roussel - Darren Helm - Matt Read

William Carrier - Lance Bouma - Beau Bennett

Marco Scandella - Kevin Klein

Dmitry Orlov - Trevor Daley

Jay Bouwmeester - Mark Pysyk

Marc Methot - Justin Braun

Ryan Miller - Jonathan Bernier - Malcolm Subban

Some of these players are somewhat unlikely to be available as I'm sure their teams will find a way to protect them or move them, but it's a rough mockup just based on what teams could do.

Free agency isn't impressive next season and the draft is unlikely to produce any immediate NHLers for them, so this is probably about what we'll see talent wise. That's a very competitive roster.

Interesting list. I don't see Miller being any part of that though. He's UFA I think no? I cant see him doing expansion duty. Maybe riding the pine as a backup on a contender.

Interesting list. I don't see Miller being any part of that though. He's UFA I think no? I cant see him doing expansion duty. Maybe riding the pine as a backup on a contender.

He still had another season after next under contract. I don't think he will either but just needed a third goalie. I didn't take Luongo because his contract is brutal.

Edited by Hoss

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/expansion

Expansion tool.

According to this site Okposo and Bogo are automatically protected.   Eichel and Reinhart are excempt thank god.

Chose to protect four D.

Bogosian

Ristolainen

McCabe

Kulikov

This is where Gorges is valuable, you need to expose 1D with 70games played last two seasons, and Gorges fits for just that.

Forwards

O'Reilly

Okposo

Larsson

Ennis ( GMTM might go for kane here , dunno)

Edited by Huckleberry

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/expansion

Expansion tool.

According to this site Okposo and Bogo are automatically protected. Eichel and Reinhart are excempt thank god.

Chose to protect four D.

Bogosian

Ristolainen

McCabe

Kulikov

This is where Gorges is valuable, you need to expose 1D with 70games played last two seasons, and Gorges fits for just that.

Forwards

O'Reilly

Okposo

Larsson

Ennis ( GMTM might go for kane here , dunno)

Are you assuming that we extend Kulikov during the season? Because otherwise how could you not protect 7 forwards, and leave Zemgus and Kane and Foligno exposed?

Are you assuming that we extend Kulikov during the season? Because otherwise how could you not protect 7 forwards, and leave Zemgus and Kane and Foligno exposed?

Yeah I'm assuming we extend him.

Did Okposo get a no movement clause?

Seems so, but even if he didn't you protect him anyway.

I still think it wouldn't make sense to acquire Kulikov if you didn't plan on extending him. I'm assuming he will be extended and we'll protect four d.

My four forwards would be:

O'Reilly

Okposo

Girgensons

Kane

Ennis and Larsson are the only other two in consideration. I'm not wasting a spot on Foligno. This season could determine whether Ennis or Larsson replace Girgensons.

Did Okposo get a no movement clause?

For the first two seasons which is what many top free agents are getting just to guarantee they won't be in the expansion draft.

My las vegas roster would be: 

Was damn hard to find good centers to take though and some teams have some hard choices to make, especially on D.

They can help out Las Vegas as much as they want, but it will be crap team up front.

forwards

Evander kane (sabres) - Ribeiro (preds) - Brown (kings)

David perron (blues) - Killorn (lightning) - Silvferberg (ducks)

Mike cammalleri (Devils) - jenner (jackets) - hayes (bruins)

Micheal Raffl (flyers) - Karlsson (sharks) - Stempniak (canes)

Ufa's you can target 

Sharp, Thornton, Marleau , Radulov, Iginla, Jamie benn, Berglund, ... but doubt many of them will be left next summer.

defense

Myers (jets) - Brodin (wild)

Ericsson (wings) - De haan (islanders)

Klein (rangers) - Pysyk (panthers)

Van riemsdyk (hawks) 

Smid (flames) Michalek (coyotes)  and markov (canadiens)  are expected UFA's you can target, but all going down hill.

Burns (sharks)

Goalies

Miller (canucsk)

Varlamov (avalanche)

Grubauer (capitals)

Edited by Huckleberry

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.