Official: NHL expanding to Vegas for '17-18

Hoss

The NHL explicitly told them they could not have a name that directly references gambling (likely ruling out fan favorite Aces among many many others). They ran into trademark troubles with the Knights name (and didn't want to pay what it would cost to get around that).

My favorite is still the Las Vegas Nights. Maybe people will shorten it to that instead of Hawks if Nighthawks ends up being the winner. I'll be interested to see any designs that come of it.

I just feel like Nights or Nighthawks is to close to the Knights and the Blackhawks to get it done.

I don't think there's any argument of copyright on Nights. It's a completely different word that has an entirely different meaning. Can't complain about it sounding the same.

If there was a problem with Nighthawks it wouldn't be a finalist because these were all names submitted to the league for review.

Thankfully it appears there ARE two mystery options for the team name:

Steve Carp of the Las Vegas Review Journal:

Bill Foley confirms Las Vegas Nighthawks, Desert Hawks & Red Hawks all owned by his company along with 2 others that are being processed.

I can't help but feel like Nighthawks should draw into the Skunk Works stealth bomber that frequented nearby Nellis AFB. It even looks like a damn ace of Spades! 

F-117A Nighthawk 

Cpq_LBLr_Wg_AAu_CH5.jpg

Nose art from the bomb bay door of an F-117 during the gulf war:

Cpq_MMUo_XEAAAQ_5.jpg

I mean, I wholly doubt it, but it would make me really happy to see my favorite aircraft and hockey <3 

But they wouldn't be the first to do it, I give you the Omaha Nighthawks football team:

63740a.jpg

I can't help but feel like Nighthawks should draw into the Skunk Works stealth bomber that frequented nearby Nellis AFB. It even looks like a damn ace of Spades! 

F-117A Nighthawk 

Cpq_LBLr_Wg_AAu_CH5.jpg

Cpq_MMUo_XEAAAQ_5.jpg

I mean, I wholly doubt it, but it would make me really happy to see my favorite aircraft and hockey <3 

But they wouldn't be the first to do it, I give you the Omaha Nighthawks football team:

63740a.jpg

This is great. Especially because it would rustle the jimmies of the Blackhawks AND the Jets. 

Can you imagine an unlikely rivalry between Vegas and Winnipeg?  :blink:

F-117A Nighthawk 

Cpq_LBLr_Wg_AAu_CH5.jpg

Cpq_MMUo_XEAAAQ_5.jpg

63740a.jpg

That is frickin awesome! Would totally make me forgive the doubling of Hawks.

Las Vegas Lights and Las Vegas Nights are two names I've heard mentioned many times, but Nights is the only one I've seen that the team actually has considered.

If gambling were in play I like the idea of Las Vegas Aces of Las Vegas Dice but neither are likely due to the league rule (Spades another interesting gambling option).

I just hope they don't blow it. I want them to get this right like other recent expansion franchises have.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.