Official: NHL expanding to Vegas for '17-18

Hoss

So let's say LV and QC get clubs. How do you configure the divisions? You have to ship Detroit back out west, don't you?

I think Columbus would go back before Detroit to the West.

Indeed. Detroit wanted to be in the East for a long time and has way more clout.

I think Columbus would go back before Detroit to the West.

then at a minimum Detroit has to move to the Metro. Personally I'd like them back in the west where they have well established rivalries with CHI, MINN, STL, COL.

So let's say LV and QC get clubs. How do you configure the divisions? You have to ship Detroit back out west, don't you?

I think they'd much rather have Florida move to QC and instead add Vegas and Seattle as expansion teams.  That completely dances around the problem of shipping one team out west.  Looking at it that way, it now seems awfully convenient that the Florida teams wound up in our division.

I'd rather ship Columbus out and keep Detroit.  Give the state of Florida to the MetroAtlantic and make Carolina the redheaded step child of the AtlanticNortheast Division...

kxNvNJ0.jpg

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I still like the idea of a 33-team league with three "conferences."

Vancouver, Seattle, San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Las Vegas, Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado, Dallas, Houston

Minnesota, Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, Columbus, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida, Detroit, Ottawa, Winnipeg

Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, New York, New York, Pittsburgh, Washington, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Quebec City

Something like that. They can tweak some.

If a team goes out west, i think it will be carolina, create a rivalry with nashville.   But any team in the east that will be forced out west due to QC will be screwed.

Florida is the most likely victim of a team being moved to a west coast city like Seatle or maybe midwest for kansas.

It's not mandatory that the conferences be equal in number. Before San Jose, there were 21 teams with the extra in the east. Las Vegas could join on its own, leaving Quebec open for a franchise move. If they wanted another team for the west quickly, put a second team in Toronto and share the ACC until a second arena is built.

I can't possibly imagine how you'd make the playoffs work with three conferences.

Top 4 from each and the best 4 after than, no east/west seeding. 1-16, 2-15, etc.. I suppose top 5 from each and 1 wildcard too.

Each conference champion makes it to the semi-finals and each year there is a host team who automatically earns a berth... oh wait, wrong league.

:)

Edited by MattPie

I can't possibly imagine how you'd make the playoffs work with three conferences.

Wouldn't be that difficult. Especially if they go with the smart " it, the top 16 or whatever number of teams make the playoffs regardless."

These things really aren't that hard. They're just new concepts that we aren't used to. Four teams from each then four wildcard. Top 16 regardless. They could expand the playoffs. Something like that.

Vancouver, Seattle, San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Las Vegas, Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado, Dallas, Houston

Minnesota, Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, Columbus, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida, Detroit, Ottawa, Winnipeg

Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, New York, New York, Pittsburgh, Washington, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Quebec City

This.

Although I'd like to see Detroit and Chicago in the same conference as Buffalo... get all the great lakes teams together... something like...

BUF, TOR, CHI, DET, CBJ, PIT, MON, QBC, OTT, MIN, WPG

NY, NYI, PHI, WAS, CAR, NJ, NSH, TBL, FLA, STL, BOS

DAL, COL, ARI, LV, ANA, LAK, SJ, VAN, CGY, EDM, SEA

I get it. I just don't like it. At all.

Definitely fair. I'm excited for the future of the league because I know new cities and new blood is coming. But I can understand the fears of the well-educated fans on here like yourself and Eleven.

I'm all for somewhat major changes to the league. It'll be fun and good overall I believe.

As far as team names go:

I think Las Vegas should go with the Aces. The owner wants Black Knights but has said he will hold a public contest. I say Las Vegas Aces. Las Vegas Royals might fly too close to the Kings despite the Royal Flush play.

Will be black, silver and gold regardless.

QC will obviously be the Nordiques. Hopefully with a very similar look.

Seattle seems pegged for the Metropolitans or Totems. Have to go with the Seattle color scheme of lime, blue and white/silver.

Houston should just take the Aeros name if that ever develops.

A second Toronto team should be the Malcolms since they're stuck in the middle of Toronto and Buffalo trying to break free.

Edited by Hoss

Same here.

Also, I don't understand the talk of moving Carolina. They are a stable franchise.

There are rumors of the owner entertaining offers. Whenever you hear that in a non-traditional market (especially one that filled less than 70% of their stadium this year) there will be talks. They can't lose forever or there will be trouble.

Branding:

Las Vegas:

Gamers, Jackpots, Silvers, Canyoneers, Railroaders, Atoms or Atomics

Quebec City:

(Nordiques, with permission), (Remparts, yoink), Bulldogs, Diamonds/Diamants, Nationales, Victors

Seattle:

Sea Serpents, Pioneers, Neptunes/Poseidons, Sirens, Raging Baristas, Shipwrights, Summits, Volcanoes

I'd rather ship Columbus out and keep Detroit.  Give the state of Florida to the MetroAtlantic and make Carolina the redheaded step child of the AtlanticNortheast Division...

I like those divisions, and the logos for Seattle and QC are top notch. 

I like this idea, outside the box thinkin

Definitely fair. I'm excited for the future of the league because I know new cities and new blood is coming. But I can understand the fears of the well-educated fans on here like yourself and Eleven.

I'm all for somewhat major changes to the league. It'll be fun and good overall I believe.

As far as team names go:

I think Las Vegas should go with the Aces. The owner wants Black Knights but has said he will hold a public contest. I say Las Vegas Aces. Las Vegas Royals might fly too close to the Kings despite the Royal Flush play.

Will be black, silver and gold regardless.

QC will obviously be the Nordiques. Hopefully with a very similar look.

Seattle seems pegged for the Metropolitans or Totems. Have to go with the Seattle color scheme of lime, blue and white/silver.

Houston should just take the Aeros name if that ever develops.

A second Toronto team should be the Malcolms since they're stuck in the middle of Toronto and Buffalo trying to break free.

I don't mind the new markets entering the league.  I just think the Stanley Cup Finals should be between the two conference champions.  Not having a champion from the third conference in the finals just isn't something I want to see.

Edited by Robins Egg

I don't mind the new markets entering the league. I just think the Stanley Cup Finals should be between the two conference champions. Not having a champion from the third conference in the finals just isn't something I want to see.

I'm more concerned with getting the two best teams to the finals. There's no real way to guarantee that, so I don't really mind how any of it goes. The NBA will be moving to the top 16 teams starting this season according to their Commish (the rule hasn't passed yet but he says it will).

I'm more concerned with getting the two best teams to the finals. There's no real way to guarantee that, so I don't really mind how any of it goes. The NBA will be moving to the top 16 teams starting this season according to their Commish (the rule hasn't passed yet but he says it will).

Maybe you just worded it strangely, but the NBA is expecting to ignore divisions for the sake of playoff seeding. Conferences, however, are still very much alive and the Finals will be East v. West.

Maybe you just worded it strangely, but the NBA is expecting to ignore divisions for the sake of playoff seeding. Conferences, however, are still very much alive and the Finals will be East v. West.

You are correct. I was under the wrong impression. I do believe that Silver has previously hinted that he supports a full 1-16 format.

You are correct. I was under the wrong impression. I do believe that Silver has previously hinted that he supports a full 1-16 format.

I think the consideration has been hinted at, but I'd imagine there would be a lot of pushback from players because of the travel involved. I do think it makes a lot of sense from a single year perspective, but I do have a bit of traditionalist in me and like rivalries that emerge from divisions and conferences mattering. I could go either way with this stuff.

Meh.  Another reason I don't like the NBA.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.